Ut & Isdn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ut & Isdn?

Anyone play UT2003/4 online thru ISDN? About to move to an area that has no broadband support. My only options are ISDN, Satalite or modem. Although from what I understand if I can persuade at least 30 housholds (in a village of 20 houses) to go broadband then British Telecom will enable our local exchange for ADSL! I've never used ISDN, just wanted the thoughts of someone who has

ISDN was great for 2k3 untiil more than 6-8 people connected to a server then the pings would climb & climb. Expect to add 10 to your ping for every new player after that point plus some very high spikes in big battles. Playing on ISDN on a full server is like being on a rollercoaster as far as pings go with lows around 50 and highs up around 200 or worse! Makes aiming a tad tricky as you never have a fixed amount to lead your target by.

I played on 64K isdn for a couple of years and got more and more annoyed with it as time went on. Eventualy I started a poster campaign and got ADSL into town. \o/ ADSL is as much better than ISDN as ISDN is better than 56K and can be cheaper!

ISDN just isnt worth the cash imo.

Comment

isdn has a better ping as dsl
      gg

Comment

Re: Ut & Isdn?

Originally posted by beast69
        Anyone play UT2003/4 online thru ISDN? About to move to an area that has no broadband support. My only options are ISDN, Satalite or modem. Although from what I understand if I can persuade at least 30 housholds (in a village of 20 houses) to go broadband then British Telecom will enable our local exchange for ADSL! I've never used ISDN, just wanted the thoughts of someone who has
        30 people and they will upgrade your exchange ?

Sorry, but your way off the mark there. Every exchange trigger level i have ever seen has been 200+ people.
        It costs around 1/4 of a million pounds to update an exchange for DSL, 30 people wont be paying that off anytime soon.

Comment

Depends on providers, get a bad one of either and you'll regret it. ADSL on the whole is better than ISDN. Sounds like atm you don't have any choice though until the other people want ADSL in the area.

ISDN is loads better than modems, some ISPs may allow you to bond 2 ISDN channels together to give you more bandwidth, but obviously this may well cost more. Basically if its your only choice then go for it, its not "that" bad, its certainly playable and competeable on compared to a modem.

Just don't go with a bad ISP because they are the cheapest, try and find one that offers a good low ping, and is pretty reputable for gaming. Can be hard to dig out sometimes, but worth it in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by pwnedism
            isdn has a better ping as dsl
            gg
            Indeed as long as you like 1 on 1 it's a great connection! I ended up only playing on 10 slot or less servers because anything more than that tended to be so laggy it was just too frustrating. Not unplayable as such just **** annoying as I was paying so much for it (more than ADSL at the time) and it was so dreadful.

Comment

Maybe I mis-understood wot BT was saying. I thought they said "30 households", could be wrong as I was still a bit braindead after realising I was going to lose broadband :cry:
              So ISDN is better than a 56k modem but not much?

Comment

ISDN is loads better than a 56k modem tbh, not really any competition, as long as the ISP is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibba
                  Depends on providers, get a bad one of either and you'll regret it. ADSL on the whole is better than ISDN. Sounds like atm you don't have any choice though until the other people want ADSL in the area.

ISDN is loads better than modems, some ISPs may allow you to bond 2 ISDN channels together to give you more bandwidth, but obviously this may well cost more. Basically if its your only choice then go for it, its not "that" bad, its certainly playable and competeable on compared to a modem.

Just don't go with a bad ISP because they are the cheapest, try and find one that offers a good low ping, and is pretty reputable for gaming. Can be hard to dig out sometimes, but worth it in the long run.
                  I tried quite a few isp's and even the good ones cant overcome the basic problem with ISDN that more traffic adds to latency so you are stuck with playing on servers without too many clients if you want an enjoyable game. Never did find one that allowed multilinking toll free. They all expected you to pay by the min for both lines if you used multilink so I never did. Knew some people who did use it though and they said it didnt help with gaming at all as the pings still would climb on full servers. They just used it to get faster downloads.

Edit: yes ISDN is quite a lot better than 56K....especialy if you are stuck on a 33K line like I was before I got ISDN but is a lot worse than ADSL if you like playing on servers with lots of players. On a 32 slot wolf server for example ISDN runs about the same as a good 56K modem. Bleh.

Comment

Yup, when it comes to big onslaught games etc, I doubt either would really cope hehe, but at least with ISDN you have a chance at playing a few dm, or insta games or something, maybe even 12 slot ctf servers . With a 56k modem I wouldn't bother playing end of story tbh, though I'm sure a couple out there still suffer on it.

Comment

Re: Re: Ut & Isdn?

Originally posted by Sidekicker
                      30 people and they will upgrade your exchange ?

Sorry, but your way off the mark there. Every exchange trigger level i have ever seen has been 200+ people.
                      It costs around 1/4 of a million pounds to update an exchange for DSL, 30 people wont be paying that off anytime soon.
                      yep, minimum I have seen was 250. Its worth doing a leaflet drop to everyone in the catchment area of the exchange. 250 people showing an interest isn’t the same as getting 250 people to pay for the service.

Comment

OK. thanks for all the advice, I'll let you know how I get on

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Ut & Isdn?

Originally posted by ]-[ardass
                          yep, minimum I have seen was 250. Its worth doing a leaflet drop to everyone in the catchment area of the exchange. 250 people showing an interest isn’t the same as getting 250 people to pay for the service.
                          Like I said there's only about 30 houses in the village so I reckon the population is well under a hundred.
                          Anyone know how much a leased line or T3 works out a month

Comment

Working...
                          X