Can't Unlock 3 Special Characters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Unlock 3 Special Characters?

There is a bug. People are completing the single-player game at the proper difficulty settings and not getting characters unlocked. Also, the player's own score never appears in the High Scores listing.

Modifying USER.INI does not necessarily fix it.

There are three lines in two important files (xplayersL1.upl and xplayersL2.upl)that must be changed to unlock the characters:

Player=(DefaultName="Malcolm",Race="ThunderCrash", Mesh=
    HumanMaleA.MercMaleD,species=xGame.SPECIES_Merc,Bo dySkin=
    PlayerSkins.MercMaleDBodyA,FaceSkin=PlayerSkins.Me rcMaleDHeadA,Portrait=
    PlayerPictures.cMercMaleAD,Text=XPlayers.MercMaleD A,Sex=
    Male,
    Menu="",Tactics=2.0,StrafingAbility=+2.0,Accuracy=0.5,Bot Use=1)

Player=(DefaultName="ClanLord",Race="Skaarj",Mesh=
    SkaarjAnims.Skaarj2,species=xGame.SPECIESSkaarj,Bo dySkin=
    UT2004PlayerSkins.Skaarj2_Body,FaceSkin=UT2004Play erSkins.Skaarj2_Head,Portrait=
    UT2004PlayerSkins.Skaarj2_Portrait,Text=XPlayers.S kaarjCA,Sex=
    Male,
    Menu="",Aggressiveness=+0.4,CombatStyle=+0.4,Jumpiness=+0 .7,StrafingAbility=
    +1.0,Accuracy=+1.0,BotUse=1)

Player=(DefaultName="Xan",Race="Cybernetic",Mesh=
    XanRobots.XanM03,species=xGame.SPECIES_Bot,BodySki n=
    UT2004PlayerSkins.XanM3_Body,FaceSkin=UT2004Player Skins.XanM3_Head,Portrait=
    UT2004PlayerSkins.XanM3_Portrait,Text=XPlayers.Xan RobotBB,Sex=
    Male,
    Menu="",Aggressiveness=-0.2,CombatStyle=-0.2,Jumpiness=+1.0,StrafingAbility=
    +2.0,Accuracy=+1.0,UseSpecular=1,TeamFace=1,BotUse =1)

The best way to do this is to download the fixed files from UnrealCity.

• Click on Downloads there on the left side of the screen
    • Click on UnrealTournament 2k4
    • Click on Skins
    • Click on UT2k4 Skin Unlocker Files
    • Save ut characters.zip some place you won't lose it
    • Extract the two files therein to your UT2004\System folder

Do all that, and when you start the game, you will have the three unlocked characters ready to go. You won't have to mess with USER.INI at all.

Thats no bug. If you cheat you don't get the characters, those players are cheating.

But cheating + hacking and u get everything heh.

Comment

This is a real bug. Even if you complete the game properly, you will not unlock the secret characters.

Comment

If changing the ini didn't work you didn't do it right, Ive done it on 3 ppls PCs and it worked everytime.

I think modifying game files like xplayersL1.upl is pobably not a good idea, it might make it fail it's MD5 check when you log in.

I followed the ini edit on gamefaqs.com, and it's worked on 3 pcs, you must however modify User.ini _exactly_ as instructed.

Either modification does exatly the same thing by making the character names equal in the two files (editing xplayersL1.upl is basically setting xan's name to nothing) but it's better to edit a file that is ment to be edited.

if you are going to modify xplayersL1.upl , make sure you take a backup first.

Comment

Originally posted by TJL
          Thats no bug. If you cheat you don't get the characters, those players are cheating.

I didn't cheat, matter of fact I spent an ungodful amount of time in the boring SP trying to figure this out. Beat it on Experienced with no cheats, Bloodrited every team until they weren't available anymore, challenged every team to a head-to-head atleast once, accepted every challenge, beat malcolm 5 times now, over 1000 kills, over 100 matches. All in all that took about 5 days. Unlocked nothing. It is most definetly a bug. I have not heard of ONE single person who has unlocked the skins the "legit" way.

Comment

man, that's just way to complicated
            to it the easy way like I did

user.ini
            [GUI2K4.UT2k4MainPage]
            TotalUnlockedCharacters=Malcolm;ClanLord;Xan

owkidoki?

Comment

Couldn't say about the character unlocking bug. I unlocked them in the user.ini right away and completed SP later but you're definitely right in saying that the high score table is broken. I finished with over 40,000 credits and my name is nowhere to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by TJL

Nope. It's a bug. I played it through fairly, but nothing was unlocked, and I never appeared on the High Scores list. It is a bug. A lot of honest people are playing honest games and not being rewarded fo the hours they've invested.

As far as changing the two files, they are just text files, and it's as easy as dragging new ones into the directory. Please don't try to scare people off, especially when they're already frustrated over the game not working right. The game changes the very same files once you get certain scores--that is, it would if it worked correctly.

Originally posted by ElGargamel
                man, that's just way to complicated
                to it the easy way like I did

user.ini
                [GUI2K4.UT2k4MainPage]

owkidoki?
                That is exactly what I tried to do at first, without any success. I don't know why some people get it to work with editing USER.INI and some don't. In fact, many people open up USER.INI and find that there is no TotalUnlockedCharacters= at all.

Replacing the two files was faster, easier, and didn't requiring editing anything--and it worked!

And it DOES NOT cause you to fail MD5 checks!!! Where ever did you get such an idea? You shouldn't be saying things like that unless you're an authority.

GameFAQs has two entries on this subject at the present time:

Unlock secret characters without beating the game.
                Open up your User.ini in the system folder. Press Ctrl+F and search for ''Total'', you should see ''TotalUnlockedCharacters=''. After the = sign put Malcolm;ClanLord;Xan. It should read: ''TotalUnlockedCharacters=Malcolm;ClanLord;Xan'' This is case sensitive.
                Contributed By: Cloud Runner 777

Unlocking Xan and others
                Open the system dir edit (notepad) to the files xplayersL1.UPL and xplayersL2.UPL and find the lines that say Menu= You'll notice that it is set to ''SP'' meaning usable in the Single Player mode... nothing('''') meaning that you can use them or with ''CHARACTER NAME'' change the CHARACTER NAME to nothing ('''') and you'll unlock them. EXAMPLE: Change Menu=''XAN'' to Menu='''' to unlock Xan. There are two characters in each file to do this with.

Comment

uuuh...I take it this will be fixed in the patch...right?

Comment

Probably, because it is the most serious bug in the game.

Comment

Worked fine for me i just did it on my profile on my friends comp. Here is the exact line to put in at the very bottom of the ini file.

Make sure there is no space afterwards.

Comment

I hope they will release a patch soon, coz this is no fun...
                        also big bugs in that aziatic chinese-japanese, whatever ctf map with the caves and hills and green green green grass
                        I dont remember the name of the map...
                        I love that map, to bad there are lot's of glitches (is that the right word?)

Comment

the roxxors, stop posting that .upl edit, please. It'll work fine until there's a security patch/update/mutator that considers it a cheat. That won't take too long, trust me. Just use the user.ini edit if you want to unlock them, or type "ChangeCharacter Xan" / "ChangeCharacter ClanLord" / "ChangeCharacter Malcolm" to switch to them ingame (you'll have to respawn for it to take effect).

Comment

Originally posted by DarkHydra
                            the roxxors, stop posting that .upl edit, please. It'll work fine until there's a security patch/update/mutator that considers it a cheat. That won't take too long, trust me. Just use the user.ini edit if you want to unlock them, or type "ChangeCharacter Xan" / "ChangeCharacter ClanLord" / "ChangeCharacter Malcolm" to switch to them ingame (you'll have to respawn for it to take effect).
                            Correct. Do NOT mess with the UPL files under any circumstance.

Comment

Originally posted by teh roxxors
                              I don't know why some people get it to work with editing USER.INI and some don't. In fact, many people open up USER.INI and find that there is no TotalUnlockedCharacters= at all.
                              this line only appears in the .ini after u play an online match, then u just need to insert Malcolm;Xan;ClanLord there, and that is case sensitive so if u write malcolm or MALCOLM it wont unlock the skin. its much easier to edit the user.ini tbh

Comment

Working...
                              X