Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who else gets install errors with DVD SE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who else gets install errors with DVD SE?

I got my copy from GoGamer.com on Monday. I get read errors when I install. The DVD is clean, perfect mirror finish, not a scratch. If I try and try the game will finally install after god knows how many attempts. Then, after setting my controls, the game crashes when I join a server. "Bad name index" or some ***** is what I get everytime. I am ******. :down:

Any1 else having these kinds of issues with the DVD or DVD's recieved from GoGamer?

Peace,

Bob :weird:

Alot of people are having issues installing and playing with the DVD. The problem is Securom conficting with your system, software, or your DVD drive can't read the copywrite protection called securom that Atari put on the DVD's.

You either need to buy or barrow a drive that will install the game properly and be able to read the DVD for play. Or update your drives firmware, but be careful you could kill your DVD drive if you do it wrong.

Or you need to use Blindwrite or Alchohol 120% to make an image of the play DVD and mount it in a virtual drive with the latest version of Daemon tools. You can install and play the game this way, but the DVD drive will still need to be able to read the DVD to make an image.

If you can get the game installed you can also use a no DVD patch supplied by Deviant at gamecopyworld or get a modified UT2004.EXE from Securerom after a long drawnout tech support process. Dr.Sin said he would not ban any CD keys for using a modified UT2004.EXE to use a no DVD patch.

But you are still going to have to get your hands on a DVD drive that can read the DVD.

Comment

Has anyone figured out which dvd drives were having problems, or is it impossible to pin the problem on a particular brand?:weird:

If it means anything, I had no problems installing with my Lite On dirve.

Comment

I think it is more of a firmware/system issue than a brand issue, but basically it is how Securerom is picky about firmware and system software that is the heart of the issue. It just causes to many conflicts for paying customers compared to how well it prevents pirating games which it doesn't prevent at all.

Comment

I have a Plextor PX-116A and it worked fine, it is also new.
          All you can really do is see if you can update the firmware of your current DVD-ROM or purchase a new one...

Comment

And they are very cheap now if you want to buy one.

This is the one I have.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-603&depa=0

Comment

Originally posted by =XTR-45=
              Has anyone figured out which dvd drives were having problems, or is it impossible to pin the problem on a particular brand?:weird:

If it means anything, I had no problems installing with my Lite On dirve.
              If it functioned with known drives they'd listed it on the box.
              Or at the screw-u-rom site ...
              Given that they don't I doubt there's any official list possible.

Don't let yourself get suckered into buying a new cd/dvd-rom/writer just for this game.
              Either return it to the shop you bought it from or download the warezed-version. Altough the latter would expose your system to spyware, trojans & viruses that could steal your cd-key.

Comment

Originally posted by JaFO(JBE)
                Don't let yourself get suckered into buying a new cd/dvd-rom/writer just for this game.
                Or check the return policy on your new drive.... :haha:

Comment

On the front page it says:

SecuROM is the fastest growing and most effective
                  copy protection system for CD-ROM and DVD-ROM.
                  Available Worldwide - Most Compatible - Easiest To Use
                  100 million discs protected since 1997

Ok....Most Compatible?? Right.. lol

Comment

I had the same problem while using the install from the DVD.

I found a solution that doesn't force you to buy another DVD-drive. You need to have plenty of disk space, though.

Just make a UT2004 directory where you have 6+ GB of free space.
                    And manually copy the DVD content under Windows. It's gonna be long. I had no problem copying the files that way.

Then install from your HD.

Then you need to report your secuROM issues to the ATARI web support page (link is in the stickies) and they will give you a clean noCD check .exe file.

Comment

It tooke me 5 attempts to get the game installed from my DVD. Now that it's there I've got no problems running it.

I nearly tried installing it from my HD but that "one last try" worked.

Comment

i've had the problem that i couldn't install the game firt (also SE-DVD). there was an error appearing never at the same time during installation, so i tought it could be my DVD-Rom. i tried my DVD-burner, same problem.

after uninstalling the nForce2-driver 3.13 and installing 2.45, it worked.

slowly, but it did.

Comment

Originally posted by =XTR-45=
                          On the front page it says:

SecuROM is the fastest growing and most effective
                          copy protection system for CD-ROM and DVD-ROM.
                          Available Worldwide - Most Compatible - Easiest To Use
                          100 million discs protected since 1997

Ok....Most Compatible?? Right.. lol
                          I'd also say ... 'Most effective ?? Right ...
                          How many days did it last before the no-cd cracks & warez-versions appeared ???

/me thinks the publishers have far serious issues to deal with than mere consumers copying the game for friends.
                          There's a leak somewhere on the inside that pretty much kills anything that could be gained from adding this annoying feature to the software.

Comment

Ah k. They can use some1 else to beta test their ***** for them. There was no mention of DVD's issues anywhere. I have a CDRW/DVD combo drive made by Samsung with Microsoft approved firmware and drivers. It is in fact a 8xDVD drive. I can tell just by watching a DVD and hitting fast forward, plows all the way up to 8xNormal speed.

I don't buy new hardware just to play a game. I buy new hardware to play the games I already have....better.

I'm returning the game. All the issues with the DVD and other things like lag (also caused by the wonderful anti-cheat software) and bugs etc, etc, has made me change my mind.

Maybe I'll pick it up again after a few months. Or after a patch or two or three of four. We'll see.

Peace yalls.

Comment

Working...
                            X