what graphic effects are CPU costly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what graphic effects are CPU costly?

I've got a 9800XT and I run at 1600x1200 because it's the resolution of my LCD and I don't like its "extrapolation" stretching.

I ran a benchmark .bat file I found (Is there an official app that allows me to benchmark UT2004 with my own ini file?) and it doesn't make any difference in FPS if I changed resolution to lower, so I'm pretty sure I'm CPU limited.

My FPS is not bad (40ish avg in ONS online) but I would like to get it as best as I can.

What can I do to improve framerate, i.e. what effects are CPU (rather than GPU) intensive.

The best I found so far is to use 3D audio instead of using 3D HW Audio (5-10 extra FPS). I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.

Are some of the graphic effects CPU intensive?

Also, would I be better off setting Vsync on? (my LCD refresh rate is 60, like I believe all LCDs)

FYI: Athlon 2700+
    1G PC2700
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz 5.1

Edit: also, I think I read somewhere that using VSync would also affect my ping time negatively. Is this true? Why?

i have a set of flyby benchmarks availible on my site (look cig) wich can use ure normal game ini or the default ini that came with the game installation.

good for tweaking. only thing atm is that there are not botmatches yet. will have to test a few things first.
    and testing ure gfx card, botmatches is what's cpu intensive

And no there's no utility like with ut2003 but it can easily be recreated. If i get some time i'll recreate it and make a new version of the screenshots convertor as well

Comment

From some results I've seen posted, it seems that flyby has insanely high FPS compared to "actual" online FPS or botmatch batch files. Why is it? Is it simply because the AI takes so much CPU time in botmatches and netcode takes a lot of time online?

Maybe flyby is a goos way to benchmark "pure" graphic performance though. I'll give your benches a try. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by papaschtroumpf
        From some results I've seen posted, it seems that flyby has insanely high FPS compared to "actual" online FPS or botmatch batch files. Why is it? Is it simply because the AI takes so much CPU time in botmatches and netcode takes a lot of time online?

Maybe flyby is a goos way to benchmark "pure" graphic performance though. I'll give your benches a try. Thanks
        Bot AI is a resource hog, but then there's also the matter of tracking player movement, weapons fire and etc.

Comment

Obviously all this I have no control on and is part of the game overhead. What I'm looking for are things like while nice can be axed to improve FPS. Some things, like fog distance, I won't touch obviously worse fog distance impacts your ability to take those raptors out from far away (I've been playing ONS mostly)

Comment

Afaik, character shadows are pretty CPU intensive so I would turn them off.

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that. Any reason why I would want them on? Ican't think of any. Maybe it helps figure out better where to aim rockets when people are jumping? Maybe I can just change it to blob shadows instead.

Comment

"World detail" is a crazy cpu eater;

Comment

Re: what graphic effects are CPU costly?

Originally posted by papaschtroumpf

My FPS is not bad (40ish avg in ONS online) but I would like to get it as best as I can.

OMG! you're getting 40fps on Onslaught online with 16x12 and you want to just want to take the beautiful well running eye-candy that Epic has granted you and throw it back in their face....

:bulb:

WHY?!?!?!

Comment

because when it dips in the high 20's it starts affecting my ability to play, kill mantas coming at me, kill raptors with the LG and that kind of things.

I'm all for eye-candy or I wouldn't have traded my Ti4200 for a 9800XT, playability still is my priority though.

Comment

Working...
                    X