Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by H-52
    If you notice things like this, you're not paying enough attention to the game.
    either that or they bought the game for the wrong reasons

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Verizian
    Bump mapping is obselete, it was based on a grayscale heightmap similar to how terrain is formed.

Normal mapping (normals are the faces on polygons) uses a 24bit RGB image that maps the XYZ axis to different colours so you can have more than just height. Doom 3, HL2 and all modern games that use such tech, use normal mapping. Basically it allows nice light calculations by pretending to draw extra polygons without actually drawing them.
    So you can have a 2000-5000 poly model with the lighting and therefore the detail of a 16 million poly model. Mix this with a nice looking skin texture and you've got life like graphics.

Also it may be possible to code up features like normal mapping for UT2004 thanks to the inclusion of the HardwareShader class.
    :up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Normal mapping also requires multiple texture passes to get differing levels of depth, a texture with twelve passes looks "deeper" than a texture with two passes. The trick is getting the depth without seriously imparing preformance, because every texture needs to be rendered seperately.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    you know what would be nice.... assault, without the massive drops in FPS.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Bump mapping is obselete, it was based on a grayscale heightmap similar to how terrain is formed.

Normal mapping (normals are the faces on polygons) uses a 24bit RGB image that maps the XYZ axis to different colours so you can have more than just height. Doom 3, HL2 and all modern games that use such tech, use normal mapping. Basically it allows nice light calculations by pretending to draw extra polygons without actually drawing them.
    So you can have a 2000-5000 poly model with the lighting and therefore the detail of a 16 million poly model. Mix this with a nice looking skin texture and you've got life like graphics.

Also it may be possible to code up features like normal mapping for UT2004 thanks to the inclusion of the HardwareShader class.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by the dark six
    Half Life 2 and Doom 3 will both use normal mapping. Not exactly bump mapping I think, but it still looks great.
    Half Liufe 2 and Doom 3 are actually using bump mapping extensively.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by boatelc
    Yep.......So much for "newer is better".:weird:
    How, praytell, could the player textures be better than they were before? :weird:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ghost zero
    They're the same.

Yep.......So much for "newer is better".:weird:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Half Life 2 and Doom 3 will both use normal mapping. Not exactly bump mapping I think, but it still looks great.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by FireStorm|NL
    which games use it?(bumpmapping) i'd like to see some comparison screenshots..:up:
    Star Wars Galaxies uses bump mapping.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by KillerDude
    Aw man... Bump mapping is the greatest. But what I really want is a texture switch for up-close views. I'm not sure, but I know a few games that use it, and they're pretty fancy.
    which games use it?(bumpmapping) i'd like to see some comparison screenshots..:up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Aw man... Bump mapping is the greatest. But what I really want is a texture switch for up-close views. I'm not sure, but I know a few games that use it, and they're pretty fancy.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by [GX]Hammer
    The question is "how to get truform working on UT2004?" and "what is the section [D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice] doing in the UT2004.ini and what is it used for?"
    It does nothing. It's there because there is another in-development version of the engine that now supports DX9, but UT2004 does not use that version of the engine, so the ini file entry is there just to make the file larger...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by [GX]Hammer
    :weird:

UT2004 doesn't even support bump maps
    Yep correct. Current builds only contain fake cube mapping.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    :weird:

UT2004 doesn't even support bump maps

Leave a comment:

Working...
X