Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick FPS Question..

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Quick FPS Question..

    been reading a few threads on peoples FPS they're getting...

    in UT2003 i was getting well over 80 FPS, and into the 100's. In 04 onslaught however it seems i get around 40, which dips into sometimes below 30. Which i've never questioned because its seems like a fine FPS and doesnt chop or bother me.

    my question is... is this normal or should i go about finding a way to make this better? i've read ppl getting much higher.

    I have a P4 2.66ghz, GeForce4 Ti 4200, 1gb DDR Ram.

    Should i be getting higher or is that about right? (i do plan on upgrading the gfx fairly soon so if its that its no prob)

    #2
    Sounds about right to me, but u could try a few tweaks here and there to gain a few more FPS.

    Comment


      #3
      I also play Onslaught on 30-50 fps... works fine for me

      Comment


        #4
        oh i know it works fine. i have no problem with it.

        i just want to make sure theres no kink somewhere thats preventing me from getting what i should be.

        as long as it sounds normal for my sys im happy then.

        Comment


          #5
          I'm having some troubles.

          I was getting 35-10 with my geforce 3 ti200 64 meg. I bought a ATI 9800 pro and Im getting 45-15, sometimes its a little better in non onslaught maps. Fresh install of windows XP after the video card is install. Something is not right.

          Can anyone point me in the right direction in getting more FPS

          AMD 2100+
          512 DDR 2700 ram
          ATI 9800pro (newest ATI drivers)
          120 gig SATA drive

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Resurrecter
            I'm having some troubles.

            I was getting 35-10 with my geforce 3 ti200 64 meg. I bought a ATI 9800 pro and Im getting 45-15, sometimes its a little better in non onslaught maps. Fresh install of windows XP after the video card is install. Something is not right.

            Can anyone point me in the right direction in getting more FPS

            AMD 2100+
            512 DDR 2700 ram
            ATI 9800pro (newest ATI drivers)
            120 gig SATA drive
            Yes, you have an ATi card. Click Start >> Run >> type in "msconfig". Go to the services/startup tab and uncheck the two ATi programs. One is for smartgart, the other is for your hotkeys. These two things really drop the performace of ut2004, not sure as to why yet though.

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Quick FPS Question..

              Originally posted by nullity
              been reading a few threads on peoples FPS they're getting...

              in UT2003 i was getting well over 80 FPS, and into the 100's. In 04 onslaught however it seems i get around 40, which dips into sometimes below 30. Which i've never questioned because its seems like a fine FPS and doesnt chop or bother me.
              No one can get over 85fps online because of the capped frame rate. Also out of all the UT2004 games Onslaught is by far the most demanding. I have 9800XT smf P4 3.06 GHz and only get 35fps when action is even moderatly heavy and it is real choppy to.

              Comment


                #8
                Ill uncheck the two boxes in the msconfig panel and see if that helps. I will also try the new Omega drivers as well and see if that helps but will try only one of these at a time.

                Im new to this ATI stuff thanks for the help!

                Comment


                  #9
                  The fps you are getting is spot on to what I'm getting. I have:

                  P4 2.6 (400fsb)
                  512 RDRAM pc800
                  160GB Maxtor HD (2mb cache)
                  ATI Radeon 9700Pro (Crucial)

                  I tried putting most settings on low and got the same results as most settings on high. Thought that was strange. But, I'll take 30-40 fps. Seems to be a tiny bit of tearing, which I'm not sure why is happening as my refresh rate is 100hz and the fps never go above that.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    onslaught needs 128mb of ram on the video card to get decent frames, so I read....you 64mb users are probably seeing that problem....try unchecking trilinear filtering and the fog distance down, maybe turning character detail and shadows down, and dynamic LOD can be set to low....

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Cyberian
                      The fps you are getting is spot on to what I'm getting. I have:

                      P4 2.6 (400fsb)
                      512 RDRAM pc800
                      160GB Maxtor HD (2mb cache)
                      ATI Radeon 9700Pro (Crucial)

                      I tried putting most settings on low and got the same results as most settings on high. Thought that was strange. But, I'll take 30-40 fps. Seems to be a tiny bit of tearing, which I'm not sure why is happening as my refresh rate is 100hz and the fps never go above that.
                      turn vsync on in the ini...I get tearing too on my radeon, and vsync takes care of that. you'll get less frames but its only a number in the end...I find 40fps in onslaught is perfect (and in dm you get 80-100)

                      and I can turn my res to 1280x1024 with no hits on performance either...I think the cpu (mine's a 2.6) is the bottleneck there...

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Re: Quick FPS Question..

                        Originally posted by Socio
                        No one can get over 85fps online because of the capped frame rate. Also out of all the UT2004 games Onslaught is by far the most demanding. I have 9800XT smf P4 3.06 GHz and only get 35fps when action is even moderatly heavy and it is real choppy to.
                        thats why if you note and look carefully i said over 85 in - 2003 -. i know about 2004's cap.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by etre
                          turn vsync on in the ini...I get tearing too on my radeon, and vsync takes care of that. you'll get less frames but its only a number in the end...I find 40fps in onslaught is perfect (and in dm you get 80-100)

                          and I can turn my res to 1280x1024 with no hits on performance either...I think the cpu (mine's a 2.6) is the bottleneck there...
                          Actually, I believe the bottleneck is memory. There's so much info constantly being cached to the memory - having 1GB would benefit a user greater than having a 3.0 processor.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Cyberian
                            Actually, I believe the bottleneck is memory. There's so much info constantly being cached to the memory - having 1GB would benefit a user greater than having a 3.0 processor.
                            good point...I'm still ignorant to the fact that more than 512mb will do anything (true like 3 years ago lol):up:

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Resurrecter
                              Ill uncheck the two boxes in the msconfig panel and see if that helps. I will also try the new Omega drivers as well and see if that helps but will try only one of these at a time.

                              Im new to this ATI stuff thanks for the help!
                              Buy a new CPU.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X