Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

New Unreal Tournament GAME forums!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Unreal Tournament GAME forums!

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...eal-Tournament

We've added forums for all generations of the game, so we hope you come check it out and join in!

The same thing that has been reported by deeply committed UDK devs transitioning to the UE4 forums applies here as well: the people who have been active in this community for years and amassed thousands of posts and made a name for themselves would need to start from zero in the new forums and somewhat lose that recognition over there. (Sure, it's just a little e-fame, but people can get picky, probably myself included. )
    (Also, that forum has a separate login from the Unreal Engine 4 forum? So we need three different logins for Epic's forums now? :/)

Besides that there are thousands of maps and mods in the threads of this forum. Reposting stuff in the new forum is probably not feasible, and many of the original authors are probably no longer active to take care of that either. Also, 2k4's player base is not the most lively nowadays, so I doubt there would be much content to fill a new forum. All in all does this seem like an unnecessary split of the user base.

Comment

Yes I agree with Crusha. The existing material would have to be ported like with the Atari forums.

Comment

I agree with you both but look at it this way.

• If you are active, you can help compile a cleaner more useful forum.
        • All maps / mods can be left where they are, but active forum members can make a One post thread with links to all their content.
        • all sticky threads/ official epic posts can be consolidated into one Sticky (patches/ fixes etc)
        • Alot of people have made blogs/ websites that contain all Unreal stuff and useful links, far beyond what any Unreal forum alone offers. These places have a chance to be listed in a thread for all content
        • ^ these people can simply make one thread "UT2k4 Maps (DM)" and link them
        • It was becoming extremely difficult to search for old "unreal Tournament (UT99)" content because the new forum and other game titles have similar names, one forum for all Unreal tournaments solves this and epic can continue with the Unreal Tournament name instead of UT4

I personally will do what i can to turn 50+ posts/threads on the same topic into 1 Post, but epic should at least cover the official stuff as aforementioned

It will not solve people not using the search function, but you can have the most popular re-occurring themes listed in one thread on the new forum.

Like crusha said:

many of the original authors are probably no longer active
        ^^ then great, remove dead links and non-existing content, parse existing content you think is worthy onto the new home or simply leave it where it is :0

Comment

Aw Flak, how mean! I was about to post this, then I refreshed the page and it was already done (5 hours ago).

Jokes aside, my personal worry is that the forums over there are not as nicely structured as they are over here, so posting maps, beta or not, would be in the same subforum as stuff that fits more into "General Chat" or "Server Administration" and alike. So, should these forums be closed at some point and the epicgames.com forums turned into support stuff only, the UT forums over at unrealtournament.com will be quite chaotic.
          The only good solution would be to copy the structure of these forums and apply them over there as well and/or move all the stuff from this forum like it was done when you moved the UT forums from the Unreal Engine forums to the UT website.

PS: Anyway, I'm still happy about the fact that there is a UT1 forum - finally!

EDIT: Hi, Crusha! Long time no see!

Comment

I don't think the new "old game" forums are supposed to be a replacement for the main Epic Games forums, they just grew out of the UT4 forums, which in turn grew from the Unreal Engine 4 forums. But some clarification to their purpose would be good.

EDIT: Still not sure what's going on there, but I really think that instead of new subforums for all the past UT games, those forums should just link here to Epic Games. Also we could REALLY use Unreal/UT99 forums on this side.

Having two different sets of official forums is already a bit confusing, and I don't think cloning everything to the new one is the answer. Don't forget that this forum itself began life as the official forums for Atari... everything specific to Epic got copied over to here (This is why there isn't a UT99 forum here, they didn't publish it.) So to me it seems the options are these: Closing this one and cloning everything over, have two slightly overlapping forums for the old games (if that happens, the other ones should just be for general discussion,) or just send them here.

Comment

So, does this mean that this place is going to be closed? And what happens to the User Maps & Mods section?

Comment

No plans on closing these forums for now. I do not know what the future could hold. Worst case scenario they would be archived. (that is being discussed)

We will not be moving content from these forums to the new ones, however if you guys want your post counts brought over I don't have a problem with that at all.

Comment

Archiving this (if I get it right that would mean prevent posting new stuff) would help killing the UT2004 community.

Comment

This separation is a tricky thing and I have to admit I wouldn't be a fan of the idea to archive them either. And yes, Baryonyx. That would be the same thing that was done with the Gears of War forums, they would be pretty much read-only forums.
                    As I stated before, the ideal case would be that everything would be moved like it was done with the UT Development forum from the UE4 forums.

I think what jefe said could be an acceptable way to do it as well although not the best since it might end up with some users creating two accounts just to participate in only one forum: link back from those forums to these as we have much more categories over here, a good collection of threads (many with useful links and quality stuff which might have to be reposted, e.g. mappacks, if the links would run out) and since more people seem to be active here.
                    Of course the activity part could change yet. I already saw that the UT1 people posted some threads at the UT forums, no wonder, after all they were starving for one since years.

Comment

I really hope that these epicgames forums never close. I guess an archive would be better than nothing, there is a lot of info in these forums that I hope will never be lost.
                      I just hope these forums don't end up looking like this
                      https://forums.epicgames.com/archive/index.php
                      with no ability for new posts.
                      Long Live the Community!!!

Comment

Unfortunately it is a different login system and the two will not work together. We really hope you come over and post on the new forums!

If enough people join we would definitely add more sections if needed.

Comment

I will stay with the content here. If the content does not move, I do not move either.

Comment

Yes, more categories would be a neat thing.
                            The UT99 fans have been starving for a forum and I predict that (at least) theirs will turn into a mess if there won't be any sections. After all, they post the most right now.

Could there be a way to repost or move the sticky threads at least or should the users who made them do so? Those are valuable sources of information. Okay, granted, some are outdated, so there would have to be some filtering.

PS: Baryonyx, that sounds like you're starting a sit-in.

Comment

The established content base and sections on these forums mean that nobody (myself included) will move to the new boards until these ones are no longer open for posting.

Comment

Working...
                              X