Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repair UT 2004

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Repair UT 2004

    Hi

    I somehow messed up some of my ut2004 files. A lot of default characters are missing, I don't have any necris characters anymore. I have xplayersL1.upl and xplayersL2.upl in my system folder, but if I remember correctly there should also be a third one in that folder. I think I am missing xplayersL3.upl.

    The problem is I can't just re-install it. I am using Windows 8.1 and I had to search for a lot of custom fixes for UT99 and some of the other games. I don't have those fixes anymore, I have no idea where I found them and I also don't know what I would have to search for.

    I got the Unreal Anthology, which means I can't just re-install UT2004, I have to re-install the whole pack. The reason for this is that Unreal Tournament is banned in the German Steam store, I can only buy them in retail stores but those can't be activated in Steam (except for UT3).

    I thought I could just insert the CD and copy the files myself, but the problem is that I can't open those .cab files that contain the files I need.

    I was wondering if you guys could help me to figure out what exactly is broken or missing and how to fix it.

    I have also the problem that in my character list there are some question marks. Then when I play in game the wrong characters walk around with some weird name instead of their real name. This means that I have sometimes male characters with female voices.

    #2
    That sounds like disk corruption. Run chkdsk first. If that doesn't help (probably won't), then you do need to reinstall. You can extract the Anthology files from the InstallShield CABs, actually. On Linux I use unshield for that, but I have no clue what you'd use on Windows... Another, perhaps easier way is to copy the whole tree somewhere else (like My Documents), uninstall, reinstall, copy everything back.

    Comment


      #3
      You could try installing the Megapack or just the standalone v3369 patch, but I'm not sure if those include the upl files.

      Comment


        #4
        That megapack fixed it, xaplayersl3.upl was the missing file.

        Comment


          #5
          I wouldn't count on it fixing all the problems, though. If something got corrupt, chances are something else that's not included in the patch got corrupt as well, but it's harder to notice.

          Comment


            #6
            It's probably fixed, I messed it up by adding new characters to the game. Then I wanted to delete the new added characters because some of them didn't work and apparently deleted the wrong files.

            Comment


              #7
              maybe just a name conflict?

              Comment


                #8
                What exactly do you mean by name conflict?

                I had 2 problems and both are fixed by now. First problem was that I didn't had some characters, I got them now. The second error was the wrong characters, well I fixed that too.

                The thing is I installed a lot of characters, I apparently forgot to move some files like textures which caused some to not work. When I got back in game I saw in the available player list a bunch of player portraits which where just a question mark and couldn't be chosen. When I went in game I think the game tried to add those characters, but since some parts were missing they just give that bot a default character but kept the name it should have. They gave the character then a male body but a female voice. At least I think this is what happened.

                This whole **** ****** me off so I just decided to delete all the characters. I searched for upl files and deleted all of them except for one custom character. I thought that the main game files would be stored in some archive, but apparently they were not. When I started the game and wanted to see if the characters were fixed I saw that there was only one so I closed the game again and moved xplayersL1.upl and xplayersL2.upl back the the folder. I forgot to move xaplayersl3.upl out of the bin too, since it's name was slightly different I thought it was one of the custom characters. Then I started UT and saw that my characters were back, so I just emptied the paper bin. Then when I played more and more I suddenly realized that some characters were still missing, and that's when I asked this.

                Now I got my xaplayersl3.upl back and everything should be back to normal. And those characters with the question mark on them were Malcom and 2 other characters, they are locked until you finish the main story. I had totally forgotten that part and I thought my game was still broken.

                Comment


                  #9
                  yah, windows 8.1 has some compatibility issues with some older games.
                  characters with same names will cause conflicts; also other errors in upl could cause issues... sounds like there were some larger probs. after having to reinstall my rather largish version of the game more than once I go slow and careful installing new stuff, but sometimes the game is just glitchy, especially if it is overloaded. but having too many characters and guns is one of the joys of UT

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X