Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT2k4 Freezing for 10 to 15 seconds...

Yo guys,

I'm new here, but I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem with UT2k4. Sometimes I'll be playing (usually ONS), and then the screen will just freeze. I can't do anything at all whatsoever. Then 10 or 15 seconds later, it will unfreeze, but it's like I can't really do anything. Shooting a weapon gives me the weapon animation and sound, but it doesn't actually have any impact on the environment.

I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem, and if there's some fix for it. Sorry if it's already been asked, I'm just a n00b on these forums.

Thanks!

This is a longshot, but try reducing your *system restore size* or try removing it. See if that helps.

edit. if your using winxp.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrilaxe
      This is a longshot, but try reducing your *system restore size* or try removing it. See if that helps.

edit. if your using winxp.

Yes, I'm using XP. I'll give that a try, thanks.

Comment

I had the same problem. Turn down your details and or resolution.

Comment

Same thing happened to me, also happened on the demo

Not system restore, as I have it disabled.

Comment

I was having the same problems..

I had to update to the latest Nvidia drivers, and turn the settings down a bit..

Comment

Got a 9700pro, downloading the Cat 4.3 drivers, see if that makes a diff...

Comment

i have the same problem when using 2 monitors in dual view.

switching to single monitor fixed it.

Comment

So far so good, I think I even got a slight fps boost!

Comment

Originally posted by Marius
                    So far so good, I think I even got a slight fps boost!
                    Yeah, right now I have a 9600XT, I don't really have a big desire to upgrade right now, but I guess I'll try updating the drivers.

Comment

It could be a heavy problem with the memory and swap configurations.

Try setting a small 256 or 512MB swap on the drive you got UT2004.

And make sure if you've overclocked the computer, that cpu and memory speeds are in sync.

The bus speeds that is.

If nothing of that works, download Si Software's Sandra.

And do a Matrix something benchmark. It will make a pentagon diagram over your system, select one similar to the one you're benchmarking, and if it's not fitting somewhat try the troubleshoot feature.

(I once had a network card degrading cpu performance, a 2200+ 2 a Thunderbird 1200MHz level, i removed it, and it was 30 degrees cooler and ran as normal)

Edit: This is based on various problem i've had with my system, which also made it freeze up games and etc. so i hope it works.

Comment

I'm getting this too. I am pretty sure it is do to running out of cache memory for sounds or textures (I play 1600x1024 with everything maxed and get fps in the 60-90 range, so the 9800 can obviously take it).

In other words it happens when the game or system has to page out a bunch of stuff held in RAM and page some other stuff in.

I have 512 Mb RAM but I think when you are using all the sound & graphics, the game can use more. I'm gonna get another 512 for sure.

Comment

I also have this, maybe it is actually a bug and not graphics related.

It happens on Instagib alot with the shock rifle which is a *****

Comment

In UT2003 I used to get this problem.

Mine was caused by me overclocking the GFX card and also having a strange swap file.

Solution: I put the gfx card back to default speeds and set my swap file to 512 MB min and max.

Never had a problem since.

Comment

I'm having a similar problem as well. I have a P4 2.66 Ghz CPU, 512MB RAM, and Radeon 9700 Pro w/ 128 MB RAM.

When I play single player, I get the max amount of FPS posible, but when I play online, it takes a while for the maps to load and I get the same kind of hang-ups.

Could it be buggy network code? Any thoughts on what to do to improve my performance and stop the freezing? I'm using video driver: 6.14.1.6292, so I'm thinking maybe that needs an update?

Comment

Working...
                              X