UT2004 and Gamespy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT2004 and Gamespy?

I didn't want to post this in the UT3-related thread to keep it about UT3, so here's my question:

Due to the upcoming Gamespy shutdown, is UT2004 affected by it?
    So far, I saw two kind of people: Those who claim it is affected by it and those who think it isn't.
    I checked my UT2004.ini and found the entry
    Code:
    [IpDrv.MasterServerUplink]
    DoUplink=True
    UplinkToGamespy=True
    The listed masterserver addresses are
    Code:
    ut2004master1.epicgames.com
    ut2004master2.epicgames.com
    although that doesn't really answer a whole lot for me (Gamespy is mentioned, but the addresses seem to be Epic's).
    So, is the UT2004 masterserver a Gamespy server like UT3? And should it be affected, is a fix being worked on just like one is in the works for UT3?

UT also seems to be affected from what I saw/read, what is going to happen to it?
    Unreal is (to my knowledge) safe, there are plenty of masterserver alternatives for it.

I'm a bit worried about this, so maybe a clear answer about the other games of the franchise would be nice.

As far as I know is GS also hosting the UT2k4 masterserver.

Comment

i found this for ut99 master server http://333networks.com/ dunno if they are supporting ut2004

Comment

Darkelarious is the person in charge for the 333Network ...you can contact him also on UT99.org or here hooksutplace.freeforums.org .

Comment

Putting up alternate master servers should be easy, if things go badly. It's actually a UCC commandlet and works like a regular server. The difficulty is purely in having others switch to the agreed-upon server. In UT2004 case, since the master server URLs point to Epic, it won't be an issue at all, since we can politely ask Flak to change the URLs to point to the new master server instead In the case of UT1, they will have to coordinate their efforts to have everyone change their INIs to point to a new one.

By the way, this already happened to Unreal II XMP when Legend Entertainment got sacked. People put up their own community master server and a website with a mod that changes the INI and also checks for any future updates to the master server URL, if needed. So while certainly annoying, having the master server go down is not the end of the world, thanks to the perception of those coding the system in the first place

Comment

I raised the issue of supporting UT2004, but unless a deal is made with Darkelarious, he does not have the authority to validate the users keys.
            He is keen to work as closely as possible with Epic, and Smirftsch to make sure all UE1 mods are safe and well supported.
            Unreal itself is already looked after, as it is allowed official updates, and is already dealt with.
            Anyone with any questions should follow this thread http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/g...-t2305-10.html where you will find info and a github link. Anyone with useful input or suggestions is invited to pop into the 333networks IRC
            irc.synirc.net #333networks

The 333networks model is something we hope UT admin will be very happy to choose if they want to host another master, or just register their game server.
            It is for the community, by the community, and with the communities help can grow to be more functional.
            eg. one of the improvements will be to allow users to filter servers based on criteria such as mutators etc. This will finally allow Chaos users to find servers, since nobody uses the actual gametype on a server.
            The site currently has a virtual Ubrowser http://ubrowser.333networks.com that if you hosted a copy, can be configured to show your choice of tabs.

UT2004 is something that be looked at again later, but for now it is up to Epic.
            Darkelarious is preparing for the extra load, but if we want him to deal with UT2004, we will have to start donations to server costs. We are already discussing the current cost, and are looking to make sure it does not become commercial or resort to adverts.
            Once more masters are running, the old UT crew can stop sweating.
            Modern Defualt.ini files can easily be used to update a users installation, so as soon as it fails they will get updated.
            Note: If you change your main config, you also need to change your defaults.
            Xbrowser users need to update their Xbrowser.ini

Comment

they have the master server files they made here http://git.333networks.com/MasterServerDocs/tree

Comment

Oh carp. I just realised, there is no UCC MasterServer commandlet for UT2004 :\ It exists in Unreal II XMP, Unreal II, UT1 and Unreal, but apparently not in UT2004... (Not sure about UT2003.)
                Well. That's bad. 333networks are trying to reverse-engineer the UT1 master server, but that's probably not going to help much for UT2004, as the latter is more complex with UTAN and all that. So right now we can hope for four things: it ending up not being that difficult to reverse-engineer the UT2004 master server after all, Epic themselves putting the master server on their own website, Epic releasing an updated UCC with that commandlet not stripped out, or Epic releasing the source code. Scenario #2 sounds like the most likely at this point.

Comment

Where do rumours that UT2004 master server is hosted by GameSpy come from, anyway?

Hostnames are .epicgames.com. If you look them up, and then do whois, you'll see that corresponding IPs -199.255.40.171 and 199.255.40.173 - also belong to Epic.

Comment

Indeed, the UT2004 masterserver is hosted by Epic Games. UT2004 happens to support the Gamespy query protocol, but that's a whole different story.

Comment

As long as Epic continue to support UE2, there should be no problem.
                      We will however still plan for the future, and make sure everyone has access to the info and resources we gather.

At the moment Darkelarious is working with a member of the Deus Ex server community to see if that can be saved.
                      Things are looking patchy at the moment, so if anyone can help with that it would be appreciated.

Comment

Hmm, that's true, traceroute ends in epicgames.com and isn't redirected. If so, then there is no problem at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
                          Indeed, the UT2004 masterserver is hosted by Epic Games. UT2004 happens to support the Gamespy query protocol, but that's a whole different story.
                          This is correct.

Comment

Big thanks for clearing that up, WGH, Wormbo and Flak!

So, UT2004 is safe! \o/

Now that means that the only game that could possibly be affected is the very first UT as Unreal has some alternatives and UT3 has a fix in the works. How relieving!

Comment

UT does have the master server commandlet. The 333network people are just working on a more functional and efficient reverse-engineered version of it, from what I read about it.

So in other words, everything is fine here. The only problems could be with more fringe UE games (Wheel of Time etc.).

Comment

Working...
                              X