Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

give these guys a break

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    NO problems here

    props to Epic/DE/Atari for this gem of a game

    they've truely made something special

    I'm an original skool UTer, got into 2003 for some time ... & I must say, 2004 is a thing of beauty...

    They have seemed to capture what was so great about UT99 & combined it with the best of 2003... & I'm loving every ounce of it.

    no problems installing, got a cd key, plays fine

    after disabling 2 ATI specific startup items, the game runs absolutley flawlessly online & off (thanks Anthony[Bean])

    I've got to wonder if some of these whiner's problems are actually their computers, & not the game...

    regardless, I'm sure there's a patch underway...
    & I can't wait for Bonus Packs!!!


    Again, awesome work!!

    & thanks for the 10$ rebate for 2003... a nice touch to pay only 29.99$ for such a badass game

    - i can't get enough

    ---------------------
    p.s.> I've gotten my friend Cheech so addicted to the UT series, that he just dropped 1300$ to custom build a PC just for 2004

    Comment


      #17
      Re: NO problems here

      Originally posted by Jiroh
      I've got to wonder if some of these whiner's problems are actually their computers, & not the game...

      regardless, I'm sure there's a patch underway...
      & I can't wait for Bonus Packs!!!
      Why is anyone who voices criticism or speaks of a problem they are having, a 'whiner'?

      Why do you and others automatically assume that anyone having a problem must be doing something wrong or must have a problem with their computer, and not consider the possibility that it might be the game itself?

      How do you think there will be a patch made if people do not post about problems or things they think need improving?

      Comment


        #18
        Re: Re: NO problems here

        Originally posted by dirtydog
        Why do you and others automatically assume that anyone having a problem must be doing something wrong or must have a problem with their computer, and not consider the possibility that it might be the game itself?
        Uhhh, because the game itself works for almost everyone else???

        Comment


          #19
          Re: Re: Re: NO problems here

          Originally posted by psycho_clown25
          Uhhh, because the game itself works for almost everyone else???
          Works, yes.. maybe you haven't noticed the quiet sound for example. Certainly those who never played 2K3 (I don't know if that includes you) wouldn't realise the sound in 2K3 is much beefier. The sound problem is a problem with the game. That's just one example.

          Comment


            #20
            Re: Re: NO problems here

            Originally posted by dirtydog
            Why is anyone who voices criticism or speaks of a problem they are having, a 'whiner'?

            Why do you and others automatically assume that anyone having a problem must be doing something wrong or must have a problem with their computer, and not consider the possibility that it might be the game itself?

            How do you think there will be a patch made if people do not post about problems or things they think need improving?
            Out of the countless number of people that bought the game what do you think the percentage of people having problems is? If you believe that everyone on the boards here is representative of everyone that bought the game then you must believe that percentage is pretty high. But people very rarely go to support forums to report that everything works great. And considering that, by all accounts, UT2K4 is selling extremely well, we can safely assume that there are many, many more people who aren't having problems than there are people that are having problems.

            Moreover I know of no less than a dozen folks that have bought the game (both DVD and CD versions) all with some pretty bizzare and old hardware and only 1 had any problems. Once he replaced his ancient DVD drive the game installed and ran fine.

            So yeah, there are bugs no doubt, but there are probably a lot of screwed up hardware configs and barely stable machines out there too.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by disturbedc0w
              I agree man, Epic worked their asses off to get this game out, and now everyones crying about some minor bug or another. Every game will have some bugs, but that doesnt stop it from being a great game (look at KOTOR).
              Actually, compared to other "gold releases" (a lot of them don't even qualify as a beta in my opinion), UT2004 is a very polished product.

              A few bugs are acceptable in a game with this level of complexity, and, in my opinion, epic has always done a good job in fixing them.

              Comment


                #22
                Sorry bud, I've been playing 2003 for a long time now and I see no problem with the sound in 2004. It's great.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Why is anyone who voices criticism or speaks of a problem they are having, a 'whiner'?
                  I said "some' of these whiners" not all ...
                  Where did I type "Anyone who complains about this game is a whiner!" ??

                  I've read some pretty ridiculous posts & it seems likely for some to be a computer issue

                  There is certainly more *****ing going on here than praising...& that is what this thread is about...

                  Why do you and others automatically assume that anyone having a problem must be doing something wrong or must have a problem with their computer, and not consider the possibility that it might be the game itself?
                  I have 4 buds in my 'hood who also bought the game (all have different PC insides) & none of them had troubles either...

                  I can't believe it's solely the game when many others have had no problems...

                  At the same time, I do think the game could use a patch... & it will get one... most PC games do

                  Very few PC games launch 100% bug free ...so relax

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Jiroh
                    I have 4 buds in my 'hood who also bought the game (all have different PC insides) & none of them had troubles either...

                    I can't believe it's solely the game when many others have had no problems...

                    At the same time, I do think the game could use a patch... & it will get one... most PC games do

                    Very few PC games launch 100% bug free ...so relax
                    Why do you think the game needs a patch?

                    As for most people having no problems with the sound being quiet, I assume that those people either didnt play 2K3, or just haven't noticed, or aren't bothered by muffled sound or a machine gun that sounds like a peashooter. Lots of people are easily pleased.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by dirtydog
                      Lots of people are easily pleased.

                      you apparently aren't

                      If a major complaint of yours is the sound... then you are just reaching ...

                      The sound is fine on my end (SB Audigy +EAX enabled)

                      But if they deemed it necessary, that could be fixed in a patch

                      If they never patched the game at all, I'd still be complain free

                      I just know there is always something that could be smoothed out right after a game is launched (even if it is trivial)... that's why I mentioned a patch

                      And 9x's outta 10 a patch only means improvement

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Jiroh
                        you apparently aren't

                        If a major complaint of yours is the sound... then you are just reaching ...
                        If 2K4 is worse than 2K3 in a number of areas, like the sound, then I think it should be fixed. Others are easily pleased and don't mind that this is the case, and that's fine for them, but for the rest of us that issue needs fixing - and it's a problem with the game, not our systems.

                        I only mentioned the sound problem in this thread because it was implied that there were no problems with the game itself. The quiet sound issue has been raised by many people here. Anyone who thinks there is no sound problem is wrong, plain and simple.

                        btw you make me laugh because in one breath you say the game is fine, and in the next you say you think it needs a patch. Well which is it?

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by dirtydog
                          Anyone who thinks there is no sound problem is wrong, plain and simple.

                          btw you make me laugh because in one breath you say the game is fine, and in the next you say you think it needs a patch. Well which is it?


                          the game is fine

                          & I gave you my thoughts on a patch in my post right above yours
                          :bulb:


                          here it is more plainly for you to understand:

                          I welcome the inevitable patch because patches make a good product better.... yet because I'm not having problems with the game - I think it is fine
                          Again, I'm not having any sound problems, but I guess I'm 'wrong, plain & simple'.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by Jiroh
                            Again, I'm not having any sound problems, but I guess I'm 'wrong, plain & simple'.
                            If you think there is no sound problem with the game then yes you are :up:

                            What I mean is, perhaps there are certain configurations which have no problem, and perhaps yours is one of them. But many people do have a problem and it is a fault with the game, which needs fixing.

                            Couple of threads for you found with a quick search..

                            http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...ighlight=sound

                            http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...ighlight=sound

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by dirtydog
                              If you think there is no sound problem with the game then yes you are :up:

                              What I mean is, perhaps there are certain configurations which have no problem, and perhaps yours is one of them. But many people do have a problem and it is a fault with the game, which needs fixing.

                              Yep, I must be going crazy (I just played a match - sound is fine)

                              SO how is it solely the game's fault that peepl are having issues when the game runs great on my (& many other's) configurations?
                              That's what I don't understand.... it's all the same game

                              As stimulating as this little talk has been, it's Onslaught time....
                              buh-byeee

                              (& I'm gonna turn my sound up extra loud...jus for you )

                              Comment


                                #30
                                shrug. My system cost me 5k, i own UT'99, UT2003, played the 2k4 demo, and own UT2004. I've noticed that with EAX on the sound is quite nice. Spatialization is at last correct -- the sounds actually come from where they're supposed to -- which is good. UT2003 had lots of spatialization problems.

                                Interestingly enough, in UT2003 when i turn on EAX weapon sounds and such are too loud and in software mode they are just right. In UT2004, it's the other way around. In software mode they are incredibly soft when compared with other sounds. The machinegun on the Goliath, for example, sounds perfect in software mode, but all of my handheld weapons sound far too weak.

                                My conclusion is that UT2004's sounds were made for people with EAX or hardware acceleration. I believe it's a problem in the OpenAL sound driver, maybe something to do with the sound mixer? I don't know. Anyway, this is from a programmer's perspective.

                                I think it's a little rude to tell people that it's a problem with their system simply because it's working fine for you. That does not mean that it's not an issue with the game. Halo, for example, had a problem with certain nvidia cards that caused extremely low performance and display corruption. It was an isolated problem, but it was still the fault of the developer, because it's the developer's responsibility to ensure compatibility with the systems they claim are compatible. If there was a note on the box for UT2004 that said "Warning: some sound cards may reproduce sound effects weakly" then it would absolve them from responsibility. To my knowledge, though, there isn't. I've seen several hundred complaints about the sound being weak in UT2004, and i'm sorry, but that's just not a coincidence.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X