Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atari Technical Support NIGHTMARE (read this before you buy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you expect that an experienced person will work in tech support? Would you?

Comment

Originally posted by Dyno
      Well.... I specified tech support.... so.... yeah.

You can't have a good support staff if half if it sits on their *** all day copying and pasting pre-written answers.
      That is SO true. However, some things are better with cut and paste. Steps which are the same should be done this way so you don't spend time on them and possibly screw them up. That being said, each response can and should be written individually and tailored to the issue at hand except for such steps.

Originally posted by _arucard
      Do you expect that an experienced person will work in tech support? Would you?
      I do. I've got 15 years of experience in this field and that's just the professional part. Then again, I am rather well paid for what I provide due to my experience and the skill that is a result of it. While some tech support personnel may not be all that experienced, this is the case in any industry or job.

I run my own IT business catering to the small user who can't afford a full time IT staff. In addition, my old group where I used to work at Microsoft hired me (as in my business) to provide mentoring/consulting for their Tier 1 and 2 support. This is in the consumer division and includes games.

I worked at Microsoft in this group for a long time before they outsourced stuff to India several years ago. It's gratifying to have them admit to my face they made a mistake and they'll pay me whatever I want to help them fix their problem. they're lucky I didn't double my normal rate. Heh

One of the real problems with decent tech support is that it's always a cost. It is never seen by the bean counters as making money for the company. Therefore they don't like to pay for decently skilled people very often; indeed, they see tech support as a job a trained monkey could do. After all, don't we have published content for them to follow? They don't seem to understand that this content is based on what the decent guys discover!

Microsoft was an exception to this years ago (at least in my group) but this all changed when they got a new director and eh outsourced every job to India where if they've seen a computer it's a terminal on a mainframe or a Unix box. Not a single one of the "techs" I deal with daily right now has a PC at home or had ever used one extensively before this job. How the heck are they supposed to be good at their job?!

Anyhow, there are some well skilled folks doing tech support but we're few and far between in this economy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dyno
        Well.... I specified tech support.... so.... yeah.

You can't have a good support staff if half if it sits on their *** all day copying and pasting pre-written answers.
        if the tech support ppl were more technical they would have to pay them more and the higher ups aren't having any of that.

Comment

This may or may not help as it may or may not be your problem.

When I first stared the game I saw the load screen and it disapperad and I was desktop - i ws like WTF? Then on a whim I hit Alt+Tab and Bam there was the game. It loaded but lost foucus somehow and didn't even show a tab on the task bar.

Now this only happend the first time I played the game, and hasn't happened sense, but who knows.

Did you do the whole reboot after installing, defrag or try running in safe mode? Are you using a EAX creative sound card?

I'm sorry for your poor tech support experience, but bear in mind the game just came out and the Support team doesn't yet have a database of issue/resolution history to refer too.

Sometimes you have to imagine yourself in the roll of tech support - and realize it can be the job from hell sometimes simply becuase you are not sitting at the console and only have verbal feedback from a customer whose very unhappy, and being so can cause communication to be fruitless.

Hope, you get up and running becuase once you do I know you will love this game.

Best Luck,

MrLemur

Comment

If you've got it installed, why don't you try to double click on one of the maps in the maps folder and see if the game will launch.

Comment

**cough.....gamcopyworld.........cough**

Had the same problem with UT2003. Could not play it until a certain exe was "fixed"

Although UT2004 DVD version installed and runs like a dream

Comment

Has anyone here thought to shut off DMA on the dvd drive? yes this actually helps quite a bit on DVD drives especially older models as they would interfere with the data transfer. This has fixed many problems on a number of PC's i have helped people with. Give it a shot and let me know.

Comment

I ugh *cough* might just have a no-dvd for the ugh *cough* dvd *cough* version. heh.

Warez is bad tho kids!
                  But if there's no other way.

Comment

To be honest I didn't read all the above posts so if this is a repeat just be polite.

The only reason UT2K4 has copy protection is because the publishers demand it. Once they've sold a few hundred thousand copies of the game, once it has alot of paying people, they will take it out with a patch like they did with UT2K3. To be honest I hate CD swapping and although I pay for my games I'll almost always get a CD crack just so I don't have to bother, I mean most games take longer to load just because of the copy protection, games like BF1942 check between levels, it gets really annoying. I haven't gotten one for UT2k4 yet because I'm scared it will include a CD-Key stealer but I know most do not, I'm not planing on playing any other games for a while. Only one coming soon that I look forward to is Far Cry. I've never had problems with UT2K3 or UT2K4, no crashes, black screens, ect... It is a very stable engine and game and most of the crashes are due to the user's system being screwed up somehow. I understand that is not ALWAYS the case but you should really try thinking hard about whats on your system and you you've installed things. If all else fails, reformat your whole system, install XP, all the patches, install your sound and video card drivers then install UT2K4 and I know it will work. Also make sure you have the lastest Bios on your motherboard installed. Good luck getting it to run, stick with it, the game is worth the time.

Comment

Well said Chris_18:up:

Comment

If only it was THAT easy. I've read plenty of people who have done all that and get the same problems with the game. I just think something's been drastically overlooked in the game and published uncaringly. The same serious errors occur over far too diverse and arbitrary a range of systems to be a minor, customer-side problem. Something is wrong with the game and it needs patched asap. Unfortunately, Atari or Epic won't say anything about anything, so they just don't have any credibility in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sh0rty
                          I ugh *cough* might just have a no-dvd for the ugh *cough* dvd *cough* version. heh.

Warez is bad tho kids!
                          But if there's no other way.
                          It doesn't matter if you have it on CD/DVD, all that's changed within the executable is the now-inhibited protection checking code.

Originally posted by Anubis768
                          **cough.....gamcopyworld.........cough**

Had the same problem with UT2003. Could not play it until a certain exe was "fixed"

Although UT2004 DVD version installed and runs like a dream
                          Megagames' good, too.

Ahem... no warez, mmkay ?

Comment

Working...
                          X