Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

[OT] Need some Linux advice urgently!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic [OT] Need some Linux advice urgently!

[OT] Need some Linux advice urgently!

Hi Folks

A company in the UK is putting together a SuSE 9 Pro PC for me. They have just rang and said they cannot get the Nvidia FX5600 graphics card I wanted installed. They say its not supported by Suse and when they turn 3d accelleration on the X server crashes.

They have recommended trying an ATI card instead. I know little about ATI so first of all, what is the equiv ATI card to the FX5600? Are there any issues with ATI in Linux? Should I be bothered at all?

What do you think I should do? Does anyone here have Suse with an Nvidia card? Should I just ask them to send the machine anyway and have a go myself? They say they have reinstalled Suse and tried 2 different cards but still no luck.

I just need some advice guys and girls.......

What would you do?

I need my rig ready for some fraggin' in a few days!!

Thanks

• replied
    yes

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I took the word "demo" out and ran that from my Windows install, this is what I got:

14.167731 / 48.471905 / 69.223656 fps -- Score = 48.524082 rand[6218]
    Is that with the settings I play with (my ini file settings)?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    wow thx

I'll post it as soon as I can ;-)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by fredle
    My P4 with undercloacked ATI radeon 9800 pro works great under linux!
    Run these commands and paste the output in this thread:

ut2004demo ons-torlan?spectatoronly=true?numbots=12?quickstart=tr ue?attractcam=true -benchmark -seconds=120
    tail -1 ~/.ut2004demo/Benchmark/benchmark.log

That will run a botmatch benchmark and display the output from the last benchmark you ran.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    My P4 with undercloacked ATI radeon 9800 pro works great under linux!
    (p4 -- gentoo 1.4 gentoo-dev-source 2.6.2)
    Indeed, most people say the atidrivers sux.

But I love ATI big time.

The only *...* I think about ATI is that they don't realy care about linux.

I have a amd64 3400+, 1 GB and an radeon 9800XT, and I even can't get X running because ATI didn't release any amd64drivers yet.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    XxX|Bossman, modaceface

XxX|Bossman, modaceface

You guys still running Linux or did you switch back to Windows?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's actually pretty interesting. I've noticed that 1) the install went faster on my Athlon 1GHz machine with 512MB of RAM running Fedora Core 1 than it did on my 3GHz P4 with 1280MB of RAM and 2) levels load faster, even when I have "preload skins" set on my home box and deselected on my work, errrrm, P4 box. *grin*

I guess a good old fashioned UNIX 'cp' goes much faster than whatever installshield routine the windows installer uses.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I did get the new PSU, thanks for asking.

Fedora came and went quickly. I had a lot going on there for a week or so, it's just now starting to slow back down. When the new power supply got here, so did UT2K4. I restored an image (using Drive Image), installed UT2K4 and began playing.

I am curious if modaceface or anyone else trying it ended up sticking with it though.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Airjrdn:
    Ever get your powersupply woes sorted out?

And how was your experience with Fedora?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Mini-ATX. It's in an AMS E-Cube so it's smaller than normal. I stopped by a computer place earlier today, and they had a 180W, and a 200W (no 220W which is what this has), but they were shaped a little differently and wouldn't work out in my case.

I could wire a regular 350W or so up, but it would have to reside outside of the case. I didn't really feel like going that route since I do have other PC's I can use until mine is up and running again.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Airjrdn
    I hadn't forgotten about this thread. Yesterday, my wife went out of town on an overnight trip to visit in-laws. In her absense I had both babies (two under two), so there was no time to computer or play UT2K4.

This afternoon when she arrived, I came down to a computer that wouldn't power up. I'm pretty certain it was my power supply, but since it's a non-standard case with a propietary power supply, I had to order one. I ordered Fedex 2-day, so it should be here by Wed at the latest (I hope).
    Hmm, any ATX power supply should work. What kind of mainboard do you have?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I hadn't forgotten about this thread. Yesterday, my wife went out of town on an overnight trip to visit in-laws. In her absense I had both babies (two under two), so there was no time to computer or play UT2K4.

This afternoon when she arrived, I came down to a computer that wouldn't power up. I'm pretty certain it was my power supply, but since it's a non-standard case with a propietary power supply, I had to order one. I ordered Fedex 2-day, so it should be here by Wed at the latest (I hope).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ZaMoose
    XxX:
    In your XF86config, you have Driver "Nvidia". That's wrong. Most *NIX systems are VERY case sensitive. It MUST read Driver "nvidia" (note the lower-case n).
    Yea I finally figured that out. After i ran apt get and updated, i reinstalled the nvidia drivers, and edited the config again. Now I see a Nvidia splash screen when I load into my desktop. Plus I ran the 2k4 demo. Which it looked like total ***. 45-50fps and everything was real dark and weird looking.

And RPMs aren't installed via a shell ('sh'), they're installed with the rpm tool. So, to install something you would run "rpm -ivh <packagename>." To update, it's "rpm -Uvh". Do an "rpm --help" for complete syntax.
    Figured that one out too.

Also if anyone needs a good guide on installing the Linux nvidia drivers and tweaking them go here ---> http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/...p?articleid=31

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't have any experience with SuSE/SaX unfortunately. But if you were running Fedora... *grin*

Leave a comment:

Working...
X