Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

[OT] Need some Linux advice urgently!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [OT] Need some Linux advice urgently!

Hi Folks

A company in the UK is putting together a SuSE 9 Pro PC for me. They have just rang and said they cannot get the Nvidia FX5600 graphics card I wanted installed. They say its not supported by Suse and when they turn 3d accelleration on the X server crashes.

They have recommended trying an ATI card instead. I know little about ATI so first of all, what is the equiv ATI card to the FX5600? Are there any issues with ATI in Linux? Should I be bothered at all?

What do you think I should do? Does anyone here have Suse with an Nvidia card? Should I just ask them to send the machine anyway and have a go myself? They say they have reinstalled Suse and tried 2 different cards but still no luck.

I just need some advice guys and girls.......

What would you do?

I need my rig ready for some fraggin' in a few days!!

Thanks

NO!!!

ATI cards can be made to work under linux almost as easily as nvidia cards, but the ATI drivers suck big-time.

My Ti4200 outperforms a 9800 in linux - it shouldn't be possible, but nvidia's drivers are WAY better.

No reason a FX5600 wouldn't work AFAIK.

Comment

Go for the ATI 9600pro is a nice card which is mid range or if you have the cash a nice 9800 pro would be awesome for gaming

Comment

Originally posted by thelonecrouton
        NO!!!

ATI cards can be made to work under linux almost as easily as nvidia cards, but the ATI drivers suck big-time.

My Ti4200 outperforms a 9800 in linux - it shouldn't be possible, but nvidia's drivers are WAY better.

No reason a FX5600 wouldn't work AFAIK.
        Damn. Thats what I expected. Someone in the office said the very same thing.

Are they just being a bunch of retards? Its a tough situation to be in. I just dont know what to do. Thinking I may just ask to send it to me..........but if they cant install, I hold little hope that I can.

I have Teh Demo on my Windows machine and it runs lovely with the same Nvidia card. I dot want to have to stick with Windows for UT2004 :cry:

Comment

Ask them to stick an FX5900LX/XT in there. Same price as an FX5600 give or take a tenner, and they can be o/c'd right up to 5950 speeds.

Comment

Just more proof that Linux > Windows

hahahahah

BUT OMG ITS SO SECURE... yeah, who would want to hack you on linux anyway, all the apps are free, not worth running, impossible to install, take ages to compile to even run properly on your system, OMG dependancies, 30 step installation process for anything...

But thats just my opinion on the one and only truth of linux

</troll>

Comment

Originally posted by Monastat7
              Just more proof that Linux > Windows

hahahahah

BUT OMG ITS SO SECURE... yeah, who would want to hack you on linux anyway, all the apps are free, not worth running, impossible to install, take ages to compile to even run properly on your system, OMG dependancies, 30 step installation process for anything...

But thats just my opinion on the one and only truth of linux

</troll>
              Right, well, thanks for that.

No doubt I can get it all sorted now with that advice

Comment

ok, fine

You want advice, get a real OS installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Monastat7
                  ok, fine

You want advice, get a real OS installed.
                  :haha:
                  Bless

Comment

Originally posted by modaceface
                    Are they just being a bunch of retards?
                    I think you hit the bullseye with that one. A company that sells computers that are "specialized" for Suse linux and that tells you a FX5600 wont work and want to offer you a ATI card instead shouldn't be trusted imo. They dont deserve to get your money...

ATI + Linux = no good (at least atm)

Comment

Must...
                      Destroy...
                      Idiots...
                      That...
                      Ruin...
                      My...
                      Life...

Thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna just ask them to send it to me and I'll have a go myself.

:bulb:

Comment

good luck

also check out www.linuxquestions.org

very good forums for linux problems

Comment

Originally posted by Nexx_au
                          good luck

also check out www.linuxquestions.org

very good forums for linux problems
                          Hee hee, got exactly the same thread already going there, and a few other places

But to be honest, I got much better help here.

You guys > *
                          :up:

Comment

Happily running a nVidia Ti4600 with 3d acceleration under Linux. nVidia have the best Linux drivers compared to ATI.

You may want to have a look at the following advice from nVidia about SUSE: nVidia SUSE HowTo

Here's an interesing paragraph from that page:
                            NOTE: There is no need to try to enable 3D support. It's already
                            enabled, when the nvidia driver is running. Ignore the
                            misleading error message, that 3D support can't be enabled.
                            This problem will be fixed with SuSE > 9.0 and is related to the
                            latest nvidia driver release.
                            I hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by marith
                              Happily running a nVidia Ti4600 with 3d acceleration under Linux. nVidia have the best Linux drivers compared to ATI.

You may want to have a look at the following advice from nVidia about SUSE: nVidia SUSE HowTo

Here's an interesing paragraph from that page:

I hope that helps.

That might it! They said that they had installed the drivers and that the card was recognised, they just couldnt get 3D support going.

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

You star, thanks

:up:

Comment

Working...
                              X