Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For everyone - UEPIP

Hi.
    My goal with this thread is to collect data rellative to the programming languages you know.

This will help me with the UEPIP (Unreal Engine(tm) Programming Integration Project).
    The aim of this project is to give the possibility to users to be able to create things for the Unreal Engine.
    I am working on this project alone, and this information will help me with it's early stage.

If you have any questions leave them bellow.

Thanks for your time.

The Unreal Engine is property of Epic Games Inc.

1. What "things"?
    2. Which Unreal Engine?
    3. ?????
    4. How does it help you to do something if you know what programming languages we know?
    5. Profit? Not sure.

Comment

lol, hi Crusha long time no see.

1. Everything (weapons, mutators, triggers, ...).
      2. Every version of Unreal Engine.
      3. !!!!!
      4. I know you know Unreal Script, but I'm sure you know other languages (like C++).
      5. Profit? Well yes, today was a great day in the developing of this project.

I want to know every lanague you know, so I know what language is the best known.

This project allows people to code for every version of the Unreal Engine in programming languages that aren't Unreal Script.

For example, Sly. knows how to program in Pascal, but not in Unreal Script. This project will allow him to make mutators, weapons and so on, in Pascal.

Comment

Are underpants or gnomes involved in any way?

Comment

I've many years experience in COBOL....

Comment

@Piglet Thanks

@jefe Yes, there are gnomes with underpants helping me.

Comment

So do I get that right that you want to make some kind of translation tool so that everyone can program their own Unreal*-Stuff using any language they know? That sounds interesting, but hard to achieve aswell, I guess.

*Unreal as in Unreal Universe, not the game

Comment

Yes, some parts are pretty hard.

I just want to make people who do not know UScript able to progam their own Unreal-Stuff (like you said).

Comment

Yes, some parts are pretty hard.<br><br>I just want to make people who do not know UScript able to progam their own Unreal-Stuff (like you said).

I already have a BASIC "converter", just some things missing.
                  It is also able to detect simple errors in code, so that when you compile the UScript code the error probrability is smaller.

Comment

My biggest problem with USCRIPT is the overall flow. I've not yet found a way of understanding what order things happen and how the various classes stack up: if I have a playercontroller/pawn/pri how to get to the next level up on the heirarchy.

My current code headache is that I have a function being called twice - despite there being no obvious reason. I really want to get a log of each function name in order of execution to be able to trace how it's happening.

Hey ho. Been coding uscript off and on for years and still a nub.

Comment

Originally posted by Piglet View Post
                      if I have a playercontroller/pawn/pri how to get to the next level up on the heirarchy.
                      If you mean parent classes, the one above you is accessed with "Super" Like
                      Code:
                      Super.variable
                      or
                      Code:
                      Super.function();
                      Originally posted by Piglet View Post
                      My current code headache is that I have a function being called twice - despite there being no obvious reason. I really want to get a log of each function name in order of execution to be able to trace how it's happening.
                      In most cases if this is one the standard functions, it's caused by function being called in the code of one of the parent classes of your class.

Comment

No, it's the relationship between the classes. I don't have code in front of me here, but the sort of things which frustrate me are getting at the player holding the gun - when I'm in the class which decides whether to fire. The pawn relating the playerreplicationinfo or vice versa and that sort of thing.

The duplication isn't related to the parent class. What I really want to see is the names of each class as it's triggered to see the flow.

Being a nub is painful

Comment

A tool that translates from one language to another simply won't work because UnrealScript is a scripting language inside the Unreal Engine, not a general programming language for everything. It relies on a lot of native functions and the relationship between classes that Piglet mentioned. You don't have that stuff given in other languages.

And for a programmer is it not hard to get used to the syntax of UnrealScript, especially if he has a background in Java or C++. The hardest part about UnrealScript is to understand how all the pieces fit together. And even a translation tool would not save the coder from needing to know what he is doing and how everything works. From a coder's perspective would it then be much better anyway to work directly in UnrealScript instead of having to think around how that stuff would be expressed in his language.

Comment

What changes is the structure.

For now, the application already does this:
                            Visual Basic file (TestClass.buc):
                            Code:
                            ' Copyright (c) 2011 100GPing100
                            Class TestClass
                                inherits Mutator

Dim Level As LevelInfo

Function KillAllPlayers()
                                    Dim i As Integer

i = 0
                                    For Each pc As PlayerController In Level.Players
                                        If pc.Alive & !pc.GodOn Then
                                            If ShouldKillAllPlayers(Level) Then
                                                pc.Die()
                                            End If
                                        End If
                                        i = i + 1
                                    Next
                                End Function

Function ShouldKillAllPlayers(ByVal level As LevelInfo)
                                    If level.ShouldTheyDie Then
                                        Return True
                                    Else
                                        Return False
                                    End If
                                End Function

Sub DefaultProperties()
                                    MutatorName="Place here the name of the mutator, like 'MyMutator'"
                                    MutatorDescription="Description"
                                    bAddToServerPackages=true
                                End Sub
                            End Class
                            Unreal Script file (TestClass.uc), output:
                            Code:
                            // Copyright (c) 2011 100GPing100
                            Class TestClass
                                inherits Mutator

var LevelInfo Level;

function KillAllPlayers() {
                            local int i;

i = 0
                                    For Each pc As PlayerController In Level.Players
                                        If pc.Alive & !pc.GodOn Then
                                            If ShouldKillAllPlayers(Level) Then
                                                pc.Die()
                                            End If
                                        End If
                                        i = i + 1
                                    Next
                            }

function ShouldKillAllPlayers(LevelInfo level) {
                                    If level.ShouldTheyDie Then
                                        Return True
                                    Else
                                        Return False
                                    End If
                            }

Sub DefaultProperties()
                                    MutatorName="Place here the name of the mutator, like 'MyMutator'"
                                    MutatorDescription="Description"
                                    bAddToServerPackages=true
                                End Sub
                            End Class
                            From the point of view of a coder, yes I agree. But not from the point of view from someone who does not understand UScript and understands Pascal.

They will still have to know how it works, but won't need to learn a new language.

Comment

Originally posted by 100GPing100 View Post
                              point of view of a coder […] point of view from someone who understands Pascal.
                              I have no clue about Pascal, but what a programming language should that be where you can program without fulfilling the requirements of being a coder?

The above will still not make it easier for the people. You would have provide all UnrealScript classes as classes of the language you are translating from, otherwise the coder still wouldn't have any clue that there is a function "Die()" in a class named "PlayerController". Otherwise he would have to use UnCodeX to browse the scripts and thus still need to understand the UnrealScript syntax.

I simply don't see where your project is worth the huge amounts of effort that you and the people who would use it would put yourself through.

I can enter a document in Google Translate as well. But that still won't give me anything a native speaker would accept or find usable.

Comment

Working...
                              X