Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you know the LG in UT2k4 is NOT instanthit(avi inside).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched the video a few times, and just can't see why LG isn't instant hit. It seems to hit ground instantly.

Comment

neither is the shock!

/dC

Comment

What should have been done in that video is for him to have shot at something. That way, he could see if it was just the beam or the actual shot that was delayed.

For me, niether has any delay.

And if that video was done online, then ping is what is causing the delay. Turning off your hud is client side (can be done instantly), but an lg shot needs to be confirmed by the server.

Comment

Originally posted by Nacher
          Watched the video a few times, and just can't see why LG isn't instant hit. It seems to hit ground instantly.

Comment

Originally posted by acc
            What should have been done in that video is for him to have shot at something. That way, he could see if it was just the beam or the actual shot that was delayed.

For me, niether has any delay.

And if that video was done online, then ping is what is causing the delay. Turning off your hud is client side (can be done instantly), but an lg shot needs to be confirmed by the server.
            If it was online, I'd wonder why the shockrifle IS instant. That would mean it's simulated, which is a bad thing if you ask me.

For me, I'm waiting on an actual report of what he did. No reason not to be at least SOMEWHAT scientific about this...

Comment

You only gotta aim at a manta nailing it around to realise its not instant hit, even if u click right on it, by the time the lightning hits, the manta has zipped past.

Comment

Re: Re: Did you know the LG in UT2k4 is NOT instanthit(avi inside).

Originally posted by Boksha
                Yes, it probably is.
                I was not able to reproduce this behaviour offline.
                Could you give a discription of what you did EXACTLY?
                No, no, it's not done by me.

Comment

It does hit the ground instantly, but it has a ~20ms delay after you press the fire buttom.

Comment

Originally posted by FLAGEL
                    It does hit the ground instantly, but it has a ~20ms delay after you press the fire buttom.
                    erm...you can't see that in a movie..(exept if you film from the outside)

:bulb: :weird:

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Yodaa
                      You only gotta aim at a manta nailing it around to realise its not instant hit, even if u click right on it, by the time the lightning hits, the manta has zipped past.
                      That has to do with ping. Vehicles have much higher maximum speeds than players do, and even with a ping of 50 you have to lead a little.

Anyway, like I said, I have not been able to reproduce this offline. I'll try online later. AFAIK the LG is just instant-hit.

Originally posted by zoefff
                      Disappearance of the HUD signifies hitting the firebutton.

Comment

Originally posted by zoefff

Why do you think there is something like "readme".

In the readme
                        I bound the firebutton (left mouse button) to this in user.ini:
                        LeftMouse=Fire | set engine.hud bhidehud true

What this mean is that when I press fire, a 'fire' command will be sent
                        together with a command to hide the HUD. Now, if there is a delay, the HUD
                        will be removed before the lightning arc from the lightning gun is seen
                        and heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha
                          If it was online, I'd wonder why the shockrifle IS instant. That would mean it's simulated, which is a bad thing if you ask me.
                          Whoops, you're right. Forgot the shock.

I should mention that the lightning beam often does not hit the target even though the actual hit does. Aim at a raptor which is flying in the distance. I find the beam usually misses although you can see the hit effect on the raptor (and it has done damage). The beam is not a very accurate tracer.

Comment

It's just the animation that's slightly out of sync. The actual signal to the server to start hitscan calculations aren't delayed in any way other than from the usual online concerns like dropped packets or higher ping or maybe the server is finishing encoding that monkey **** avi to vcd and it's cpu cycles are being fought over, etc., etc.

Comment

What you should do is make a texture that changes color when hit, and if the hud change time and the texture color change times are different, you know there's a delay for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by _arucard
                                maybe Q2, Q3 RG is instant
                                not online it isnt with q3's netcode.

I'd hazard a guess the LG has about a 30/40ms lag.

I guess it helps keep ppl from being able to head shot everyone with little thought.... but then again.. no not really:bulb:

Comment

Working...
                                X