Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Atari killing off Unreal II XMP ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hughbackov
    Has the final CBP been released? I did not want to mess with the beta, and actually I stopped playing before the CBP was ever announced.
    Yes, its still in a beta stage still and there are flaws atm. But overall they are good. Some does need some major optomizing though.

Would be nice to see you play and to at least give this game a 2nd chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Reversion
      I have to keep an open mind on these hughbackov. People should really form their own opinions on how these games really are by trying these games themselves.
      Play the Halo demo then. It will tell you everything you need to know about the full game.

ive also heard that halo2 is expected to be really good. Ill find out soon.
      Halo 2 is a console game not a PC game. Halo may have been good for a console game with its simplified controls and rigid gameplay (e.g. forced linear progression like a rail shooter, AI which are restricted to small movement areas with no pursuit, limited weapons and items, very basic multiplayer options and features), but it simply can't hold a candle to the good PC shooters (or even many of the bad ones). Halo 2 will most likely be no different, and probably won't be ported to the PC for years in any case.

Comment

Originally posted by hughbackov
        Halo 2 is a console game not a PC game. Halo may have been good for a console game with its simplified controls and rigid gameplay (e.g. forced linear progression like a rail shooter, AI which are restricted to small movement areas with no pursuit, limited weapons and items, very basic multiplayer options and features), but it simply can't hold a candle to the good PC shooters (or even many of the bad ones). Halo 2 will most likely be no different, and probably won't be ported to the PC for years in any case.
        Hmmm I was unaware that it wouldnt get ported into the pc. Oh well for that =)

Comment

Originally posted by undrtakr
          SO are they shutting the XMP servers down or something?:bulb:
          The main master server switched hands a few times and then Atari finally took it down. When you're playing a game, the very last thing you want to happen is this as it lists all the available servers.

Comment

Can atari shut down the XMP servers for good then? Im not too swift in this field =(

Comment

Originally posted by Firtol88
              Lets hope that remains just talk!!!
              I hope so too (Atari is acting as the current publisher and distributor). There's always a bad side to change. Note that some Unreal titles are coming out for XBox (M$ console) so time will tell.

Originally posted by Reversion
              Can atari shut down the XMP servers for good then? Im not too swift in this field =(
              I've no idea if they will stay down for good but consider that UT & Unreal's master server have been going on for years without things like this happening. Maintenance of the master server lies with Atari I think.

Comment

(edited out)

Comment

Originally posted by MadJackMcJock
                  I'm no UnrealScript guru but I find it hard to believe that the particle effects can't be replicated here with some serious modding...
                  It would be very hard to replicate the quite amazing particle effects in U2 if it's even possible at all. If it was accomplished it would take a staggering amount of processing power to do it and so you could perhaps have one emitter in a box-shaped map and expect 10fps.

Comment

Epic should release an XMP mode for UT2k4 as a downloadable bonus pack.

Comment

I love XMP and still play it. I think it is one of the best MP games out there and the reason it has not done well is the fact that it had no advertising, and was not included in the original U2. Now with Atari cutting the support people are giving up on it. Whats funny to me is Atari is still selling U2 SE with XMP included. What a low trick to take money for a game and not support it. What about the XBOX version will they drop support there too. On the SE box it uses XMP as a selling point. It says nothing there about no support. Its a slimey move.:down:

Comment

an xmp style mod for ut200x should be simple enough.

If you want a class based game then use existing weapons.

Gunner gets; rocket launcher, spider mines, goo gun and flak cannon. using jugger species stats.

Ranger gets; sniper rifle, lightning gun, new enforcer pistol and shock rifle. using the egyptian species stats

Tech gets; twin assault rifles, grenade launcher, linkgun and minigun.

Repairing/building can be done by standing close and
                        hitting a repair key up close but only the tech gets the linkgun.
                        All get the shield gun/translocator if enabled server side and can pickup super weapons from the map, again if they are enabled.

Could easily use ut2004 vehicles with the scorpian replacing the raptor buggy, hellbender replacing the wobblebus and tank replaces tank.

Put in 4 flag bases and onslaught power nodes, you must link the power nodes to each flag base in order to open it, spawning is identical to onslaught but with a short delay and flag bases are in easily defendable areas.
                        Use drawscale=0.5 on the power nodes and/or allow different meshes to be used for them such as an actual generator so as to give a different feel from onslaught and not dwarf the flag bases.

Leave out the jetpacks for starters and see how it plays with a few different map layouts.
                        Requires minimum coding for a new game type and fits in with the rest of the UT game types.

Comment

If anyone is going to port XMP to UT2004 they shouldn't mess around with the weapons. The weapons were balanced and tweaked to perfection and IMO one of the game's defining features.

Comment

i played XMP till the 2004 demo came out i have not touched it since BUT! it has more potential than any new game i have ever seen but it has major problems, the classes are very very misbalanced, the game it's self needs to have some different rules like locking the node down till it has been powered up i hated those 2 min games and the vehicles need major work ...i would play this game in a min if those thing were addressed but it is looking like it is over for XMP to bad i liked it in concept.

Comment

Guys, you really should give XMP a second chance. If you haven't played version 7710 with the Community Bonus Pack maps then you have been missing a great game. Several improvements were made with the patch and some of the new maps are simply amazing.

Regards,

-JaGo

Comment

Originally posted by Magwa
                                i played XMP till the 2004 demo came out i have not touched it since BUT! it has more potential than any new game i have ever seen but it has major problems, the classes are very very misbalanced, the game it's self needs to have some different rules like locking the node down till it has been powered up i hated those 2 min games and the vehicles need major work ...i would play this game in a min if those thing were addressed but it is looking like it is over for XMP to bad i liked it in concept.

Magwa,

How can you say that the classes are unbalanced? IMO the classes are extremely balanced.

One of the reasons I have a problem with UT2K4 is that everybody has the SAME weopons. You really never know what you are up against when you encounter another player.

Anyway, I've already pre-ordered UT2K4 and I think I'll enjoy it, but I'll always play XMP until the last server goes offline. I think it's that good a game.

-JaGo

Comment

Working...
                                X