Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Atari killing off Unreal II XMP ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by I am Fearless
    Everyone agrees that the netcode is problematic and this in turn affects vehicle steering.
    The vehicle handling is sh*t regardless of the netcode. You only need to play the game solo to see that.

Comment

Originally posted by hughbackov
      The vehicle handling is sh*t regardless of the netcode. You only need to play the game solo to see that.
      I know the vehicle handling isnt the greatest thing in the game but, the rest is amazing. You really should put more time into playing this game to see how great it truly is.

*edit* Also the latest patch did help alot.

Comment

Originally posted by Farting Bob
        I bet now it will be used by other companies, and it's fre, so they're gonna 'steal' it.
        No one will "steal" XMP's gametype because XMP is already derivative of several other games. Although XMP has some nice elements in it which are worth borrowing, the overall gameplay is a flawed version of CTF. If you want to know exactly how it is lacking, search the Unreal 2 forum. I see no reason to repeat all of that in here.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeSobe
          that would be nice but you would need all the weapons and models and such and speed and well I don't think that UT2004 can do the particle effects that are in Unreal 2. (plus they wouldn't want to see XMP as the most popular gametype )
          I'm no UnrealScript guru but I find it hard to believe that the particle effects can't be replicated here with some serious modding. As for the game speed and such, well they were both built on the same codebase so I can't see that being impossible either. I don't think XMP will ever overtake ONS - it has too much of a steep learning curve - and well it doesn't give give you that adrenaline rush that ONS gives. They're two very different games.

Comment

Originally posted by Reversion
            I know the vehicle handling isnt the greatest thing in the game but, the rest is amazing. You really should put more time into playing this game to see how great it truly is.
            No need. I played XMP for an average of six hours a day for two weeks straight when it was first released before I uninstalled it. It has some attractive elements, but overall is a flawed and lacking product. Those elements are the main reasons I played the game so intensely when I did. However, I grew tired of the shortcomings and flaws.

Comment

SO are they shutting the XMP servers down or something?:bulb:

Comment

Originally posted by undrtakr
                SO are they shutting the XMP servers down or something?:bulb:
                Even if the official XMP master server disappears as it did before, Gamespy is the default secondary master server, so a list of game servers can always be gotten using GameSpy Arcade or Gamespy 3D.

Comment

hughbackov, how can you say that its a flawed version of CTF when there is alot more involved than just getting artifacts. You need energy to resister artifacts, you need deploy points and you need to make use of all your character classes with great teamwork from all others that play. I think its a very unique game. I do hear how people compare this to halo, but i havent played halo yet, so i dont know.

*edit* After playing XMP, I found CTF to be really boring and primitive now. Although i still play it, but not as much as compared to xmp.

Comment

No need. I played XMP for an average of six hours a day for two weeks straight when it was first released before I uninstalled it. It has some attractive elements, but overall is a flawed and lacking product. Those elements are the main reasons I played the game so intensely when I did. However, I grew tired of the shortcomings and flaws.
                    Have you tried the new CBP maps yet with the latest patch. The maps are great. If you havent, then you should give it a try again. They really are good.

Comment

Even if the official XMP master server disappears as it did before, Gamespy is the default secondary master server, so a list of game servers can always be gotten using GameSpy Arcade or Gamespy 3D.
                      All man Gamespy is teh Gay!!1!:sour:

And it will be in the backgroudn taking up resources, which I seperately need:cry:

Comment

Originally posted by I am Fearless
                        ...there is talk that Epic will be leaving them for Microsoft.
                        Lets hope that remains just talk!!!

Comment

XMP IS ONE OF THE BEST multiplayer games

people are dum, everyone will play a stupid game because everyone is playing it.
                          loook at counter strike

Comment

hughbackov, how can you say that its a flawed version of CTF
                            Search the Unreal 2 forum for my posts and those of others on the subject.

I do hear how people compare this to halo, but i havent played halo yet, so i dont know.
                            Halo is utter cr@p. Don't waste your time or money.

Comment

Have you tried the new CBP maps yet with the latest patch. The maps are great. If you havent, then you should give it a try again. They really are good.
                              Has the final CBP been released? I did not want to mess with the beta, and actually I stopped playing before the CBP was ever announced.

Comment

Halo is utter cr@p. Don't waste your time or money.
                                I have to keep an open mind on these hughbackov. People should really form their own opinions on how these games really are by trying these games themselves. Yeah, i have heard from numerous people about how crappy that game is, but ive also heard that halo2 is expected to be really good. Ill find out soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X