Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Atari killing off Unreal II XMP ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ntb
    you didnt need to reinstall u2 to install xmp...

I think its kinda lame that thier dropping support for it... I dont play xmp any more, but I thought it was a great game, and I know that there is a small but dedicated playerbase that still plays xmp. Many peopel (including me) bought unreal 2 soley for xmp. seems like they should at least keep the master server up so that people can play the game they payed for without having to use an external browser
    Agreed. I want to be able to use the game I paid for, and I bought it for XMP. :sour: :down:

Comment

Xmp rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Virax
        Agreed. I want to be able to use the game I paid for, and I bought it for XMP. :sour: :down:
        Yeah ... let's ask for a refund .

P.S: The aim of this thread isn't to vent anger but simply point out that something somewhere is wrong. I've been with Atari+Epic+UT for a while and I was quite comfortable with this trio up until now.

Comment

best thign they could do for XMP is have a serious talk with epic and the folks from Legends about how to allow some flexibility on the intelelctual rights.

i want to see XMP for ut2k4.

period.

a lot of decisions over the past 3 years or so lead to the situation we've seen, and i dont think pointing fingers helps anybody.

but since XMP rocks but the unreal2 platform just wasnt viable... i'd like to thikn that either epic & atari both find terms to allow an XMP-based mod for ut2k4 OR find a means to commit to expanding on that idea down the road in a more viable way.

i do not know the whole story.

i just know that while XMP is great, XMP is dead.

26,000 aliases were seen in the past 31 days playing XMP but only about 200-300 play at any moment.

Comment

I think it's because XMP wasn't much better than Unreal 2. Personally, I like my games with a little less packet loss and a lot more action.

Comment

Originally posted by teh roxxors
              I think it's because XMP wasn't much better than Unreal 2. Personally, I like my games with a little less packet loss and a lot more action.
              Everyone agrees that the netcode is problematic and this in turn affects vehicle steering. The Unreal II engine is available to developers for non-gaming purposes so why not go one step further with some elements of XMP.

Programmers were able to access the code of OpenGL renderer on UT if they wish to rewite it and that paid off.

Comment

Re: Re: Why is Atari killing off Unreal II XMP ?

Originally posted by Arclite
                Dude, no one (as in very little) plays XMP anymore.

I don't know if u own your own biz, but isn't it logical not to support couple 10s of people? What a waste of money.

Instead they are sticking with games (like UT2004) that has potential.

So stop your complaints, it's a fair move by Atari.

XMP is a top notch game, and I actually bought unreal 2 last week to play it ... too bad I can't find any servers running it.

Yes, all businesses are motivated by profit, but Atari has a reputation of going for the quick cash grab, rather than having some faith in their products. If a game garners poor reviews and doesn't look like it will spawn 12 sequels - then support is quickly terminated. Look at the 'Outstanding Support' Atari gave to games such as Enter the Matrix, and of course, who could forget ... Master of Orion 3???? MOO3 was the biggest flustercuk I have ever seen ... it took - count them - FOUR months ... a third of a year ... for them to come out with the first patch. Why was the patch so important? Nothing much ... except to make the game actually .. DO SOMETHING (i.e. you couldn't just win by hitting 'Next Turn' 200 times), and of course by that time no one was playing it anymore, and so no further (badly needed patches) were issued. Oh yeah ... and they lied about creating a downloadable version of the manual that actually explained how to play the game.

I guess this doesn't have much to do with U2k4. Everyone knows its going to make a gajillion dollars, but nothing Atari does anymore surprises me.

Dano

Comment

I play XMP regularly and its great. Best game I have ever played so far. Its really a shame that they totally abandonded it becuase with a little thing here and there it would have been good enough for its own game. IMO XMP is ahead of its time, you watch and see.

Comment

Originally posted by XOR1

Maybe the owners of Unreal 2 give some mod makers the permission to port it over to UT2k4.
                    :up:
                    Best solution. Legend have been dismantled, UT2004 has better netcode and built in voice comms (essential for a heavily team oriented game such as XMP). XMP was/is an amazingly well put together peice of work, it would be tragic if all was lost.

Comment

that would be nice but you would need all the weapons and models and such and speed and well I don't think that UT2004 can do the particle effects that are in Unreal 2. (plus they wouldn't want to see XMP as the most popular gametype )

Comment

I dont know why people are soo concerned about porting this great game over into ut2k4. I mean, isnt it fine as is!?!? True the vehicles arent the best but they are tolerable. Otherwise the rest of the game is spectacular.

We just need more players to this great underdog game!

Comment

Originally posted by Reversion
                          I dont know why people are soo concerned about porting this great game over into ut2k4. I mean, isnt it fine as is!?!? True the vehicles arent the best but they are tolerable. Otherwise the rest of the game is spectacular.

We just need more players to this great underdog game!
                          tehe mod tools were buggy. the game's platform doesnt bring many players. a cuople aspects of the game's code could prolly benefit from working form ut2k4.

the game was sweet as it is. but, our point is that nobody is playing it and it's dying.

if it were part of ut2k4 it would likely not only rock, but improve with more players and modders/mappers.

there is no serendipity right now.

all that said, porting it would NOT be very easy if i understand the work that went into XMP.

Comment

I do hope some group kinda gets together an XMP mod for UT2k4 though, it does deserve to live in a way. The gametype rocked hard, I bet now it will be used by other companies, and it's fre, so they're gonna 'steal' it. Dunno, but I think with the maps can be put together with the editor for UT2k4.

I think it's a bad thing XMP failed like this, since I think it was apart from ONS the best online experience I ever had.

Comment

The funny thing is I see new clans everyday with some great players. Omni is great and relatively new, pet has some people that get points and so on and so forth. One of the beauties of XMP is that so few people play. I know so many people really well and so its a much closer community and such its very nice. The downside is the lack of extras such as maps and such but really its not that huge of a deal. There are many low ping servers for me and I love it.

Comment

That ain't dead.

Originally posted by TseTse
                                i just know that while XMP is great, XMP is dead.

26,000 aliases were seen in the past 31 days playing XMP but only about 200-300 play at any moment.
                                That is FAR from dead. Some games would kill for having 200-300 players at once. I know because I play many of those games.

Comment

Working...
                                X