Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Atari killing off Unreal II XMP ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is Atari killing off Unreal II XMP ?

Just at a moment when UT2004 has finally gone gold, it's apparent that everything Atari brought to XMP is gone. That includes support and the master server which recently gave up the ghost.

I want to get UT2004 as an evolution of UT and I'm mostly a DM player. I made some arrangements with someone a few days ago to get the special edition of UT2004. But it was also my plan to get going with XMP as it appeals to me in a different way and I'd have no problem being active on both.

Atari seems to have made another decision for me, though, and I can't help but feel irritated by this. This is the impression that most XMP players are getting too. The question I ask is why, why, oh why ?!

Maybe it's because Unreal 2 was a total failure and it's costing them too much money to keep it running?

Comment

Re: Why is Atari killing off Unreal II XMP ?

Originally posted by I am Fearless
      Just at a moment when UT2004 has finally gone gold, it's apparent that everything Atari brought to XMP is gone. That includes support and the master server which recently gave up the ghost.

I want to get UT2004 as an evolution of UT and I'm mostly a DM player. I made some arrangements with someone a few days ago to get the special edition of UT2004. But it was also my plan to get going with XMP as it appeals to me in a different way and I'd have no problem being active on both.

Atari seems to have made another decision for me, though, and I can't help but feel irritated by this. This is the impression that most XMP players are getting too. The question I ask is why, why, oh why ?!
      Dude, no one (as in very little) plays XMP anymore.

I don't know if u own your own biz, but isn't it logical not to support couple 10s of people? What a waste of money.

Instead they are sticking with games (like UT2004) that has potential.

So stop your complaints, it's a fair move by Atari.

Comment

An original playerbase of a few hundred players isn't a total failure but the game has been slumping since the master server has been out and I'll add that the game was much more popular with the demo. Also, the game is arguably a good one and only really suffers from the current implementation of netcode.

Perhaps it is a question of money but why can't they be open about it ? I have to question the "sanity" of Atari when there is talk that Epic will be leaving them for Microsoft.

Comment

I could be wrong, but it might be because it sucks...:weird:

Comment

Never even bothered to play it myself. I uninstalled Unreal 2 immediately after finishing the disappointingly short single-player game. No point keeping it installed without even simple botmatch to provide replayability. XMP arrived too late for me to even consider reinstalling it. Besides, the multiplayer I really wanted in Unreal 2 was co-op, and there was never any sign of that.

Comment

IF the game had shipped with XMP - then things would be differant.

A lot of people played U2, hated it (I loved it), and gave it bad reviews.

XMP came out and a lot of people shunned the game from day 1 because f the bad word of mouth.

Personally I think XMP is one of the best multiplayer games out last year, and if it had shipped with the full game when it was released, then people would be loving it instead of giving it ****.

Comment

HEY! I play XMP quite Reguluarly! I love it!

Its something diffrent then always the same Map over and over...

Comment

People!! XMP is an amazing game hands down! Although ut2004 will have tons of cool stuff and modes with great vehicle control, but as for gameplay, none of ut2004 modes will never beat XMP!!!!!

True xmp is in dire need of players. I urge anyone that hasnt played xmp to please give this great game a try and download its demo Here . The demo does play laggy, but the full game, CBP and latest patch makes it very sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by MechaFubs
                    IF the game had shipped with XMP - then things would be differant.

A lot of people played U2, hated it (I loved it), and gave it bad reviews.

XMP came out and a lot of people shunned the game from day 1 because f the bad word of mouth.

Personally I think XMP is one of the best multiplayer games out last year, and if it had shipped with the full game when it was released, then people would be loving it instead of giving it ****.
                    Yeah but bottom line is that it didn't ... so it is going..going....gone.:weird:

Comment

some times I would like to hear some Epic's words about this... because finally is Unreal World...

I play XMP regulary(except last weeks because work), and XMP is the team warfare game i was expecting for many years on Unreal...

I like "more" XMP than ONS, the problem with XMP is that you have to learn how to play...but well..I really enjoy both ONS and XMP, and I dont play more CTF/DM/TDM/BR games..

I hope we, the xmp community, can keep the XMP alive.

=vD=babau out

Comment

It would be nice if a bonus pack included XMP in 2k4.

But I still weep for what has happend to XMP. :cry:

Comment

If Atari has lost all interest in the game (on the financial side), why don't they give the existing community the tools to make their own master server ? My guess is that this won't happen and that can only mean one thing. This is why I made the initial post.

P.S: There's also a rumour going around that some guys linked to Atari in some way were causing trouble on public XMP servers.

Comment

It is a shame that XMP did not take off. It was not because of the game. I think everyone who seriously tried it was blown away by game concept and the stunning beautiful maps. But I would not blame Atari for its failure. There were many factors against XMP.

I will keep XMP in memory as the game that impressed me like no other game before.

Maybe the owners of Unreal 2 give some mod makers the permission to port it over to UT2k4.

Comment

Originally posted by I am Fearless

P.S: There's also a rumour going around that some guys linked to Atari in some way were causing trouble on public XMP servers.
                              I think this was noticed by registered members of BU. I saw those threads. Dont know if it was real though.

Comment

Working...
                              X