Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

somebody has stolen my key

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    somebody has stolen my key

    hi,
    somebody just said to me online in UT2004 that he has stolen my key, so i ask to the administrator if he can checks on the logs and unfortunatly, me and the stealers have the same ID now.
    I dont know what to do, i have bought the game just few month ago and i dont want to be banned.
    What i am suppose to do?

    #2
    Welcome!

    If it's true what you say then you should contact Flak. I'm pretty sure she'll be able to help you, for example with a new key.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by chrishunterkiller View Post
      hi,
      somebody just said to me online in UT2004 that he has stolen my key, so i ask to the administrator if he can checks on the logs and unfortunatly, me and the stealers have the same ID now.
      I dont know what to do, i have bought the game just few month ago and i dont want to be banned.
      What i am suppose to do?
      Welcome to the cult of the dead!

      Well, administrators, or at least the Llama Punter ban network (some kind of unofficial new version of the dead UTAN) can add his/her IP to their banlist. But the point is: how will they ever know if you're speaking the truth, you need very good evidence in order to let them add it.. You could always give it a try!

      Comment


        #4
        i will contact her, and to tell the truth iam ready to do anything else to do it, i have made some research, and i have the log of the exploit. It seems that because i was playing on a demo server....
        For the ban ip, he has a dyn ip, the admin often has problem with this ******* and shut off often the server.

        Comment


          #5
          OH... Yeah, that explains everything! You should keep away from demo servers.
          There's even a whole thread about them: *Click me*

          Comment


            #6
            but **** i didnt know and as i saw the admin told me i wasnt be alone to have a original key.... and concretly, is it possible with an exploit to stole a key or just obtain the hash of the key?

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by chrishunterkiller View Post
              i will contact her, and to tell the truth iam ready to do anything else to do it, i have made some research, and i have the log of the exploit. It seems that because i was playing on a demo server....
              For the ban ip, he has a dyn ip, the admin often has problem with this ******* and shut off often the server.
              May I ask you what server this is?

              Comment


                #8
                Ooh, look, another privacy risk I wasn't aware of. Thanks for keeping me away from UT2004 guys. I'm sure many other honest players feel the same sentiment of all these feeble attempts at security.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by arbee View Post
                  Ooh, look, another privacy risk I wasn't aware of. Thanks for keeping me away from UT2004 guys. I'm sure many other honest players feel the same sentiment of all these feeble attempts at security.
                  Well, actually there are at most like 3 people around who know how to steal a GUID. I know one of them but seriously, in order to get the player's GUID you must have access to the administration files. In other words, this server is probably either hacked or the password has been guessed, OR the guy is the server owner himself.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    So, what do you guys (who think demo servers aren't that bad) think now?
                    It's definitely not okay what's happening - and for the affected players it must be an awful experience!

                    Something has to be done. The demo servers really should get removed from the master server list. You don't need a server to play a demo, the offline mode is all what you need to test a game!

                    End of story and solution of all problems..

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Sly. View Post
                      So, what do you guys (who think demo servers aren't that bad) think now?
                      It's definitely not okay what's happening - and for the affected players it must be an awful experience!

                      Something has to be done. The demo servers really should get removed from the master server list. You don't need a server to play a demo, the offline mode is all what you need to test a game!

                      End of story and solution of all problems..
                      Hold on there, this is possible on normal servers to, it's not only an issue at demo servers. The game is just old, the source code has been released some ages ago and now people found some gaps in the code. That's what's happening, they had all time to find it and they found it.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        But by blocking the demo servers you have at least 50% of such dangerous servers gone.

                        You may as know: What can be done else?

                        A solution could be asking other players on what servers they play or what servers they know the best where nothing like that happened before and if they know/trust the admin. Then join those servers instead.

                        Sure, it's not easy these days, but that would be the best solution.

                        @Chris: Maybe the admin just made a "prank" and just said that something like that happened and asked a player he might know to help him with his "prank"? Trust me, there are mean people out there who would do that.
                        But if you have been kicked with a message that you had the same GUID then I would be worried.

                        What exactly happened? What server have you been playing on?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          im on a demo server 80% the time i play ut mainly bc they are usually the ones populated unless one of the 1v1s is in tdm mode or rangers ranch is up.

                          never had this problem, but not saying its not possible so just contact flak and she will help you out.

                          and like sly said maybe the admin was just one of those trying to get under your skin saying your key was the same.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            right, u will understand more why i know a lot of thing.
                            In reality, iam the administrator with a cracked server, but i have the real game so a real key, that why i could check if somebody had stolen my key. This ****ing ******* said: Hhahahaha, "i stole u key, i control ur server, now stop hosting an invasion server and go on TDM or ONS". (it was impossible to discuss with this idiot).

                            About the debate on demo server, iam on both side, i didnt know those *** demo were so insecure and now, i would like they are all dead because look at the price: somebody has stolen my key and i cant accept it. I have bought the game only to play online and to build full version server.

                            But when i saw the community dying step by step and now, only people has a cracked key (90%), what we are suppose to do (because iam boring, i decide to create a server with my fav gametype and mutator, totally 60h of work), unfortunatly, demo server are the most popular and cant avoid it, i bought the game because i was convice to be be better and see new server with new mutator, it was the case, iam all the time now on real server, and the main thing is, i convince 1 player to buy a game, there are 1 month ago. SO Demo is not so bad, but not **** server.
                            My server is [BEST EUROPEAN SERVER] in Invasion. Now, i would like to know how is it possible to take an original key (from a client) connected in a cracked server?
                            Because i have understood, that mean, he has stolen of all the orginal key from the player online??

                            Comment


                              #15
                              He has probably used UT2004 as a backdoor to get access to your key and PC, I bet he did it similar to the NHK mutator (which I don't trust in because of it can access your whole PC!). There are some script-kiddies who can do that kind of stuff. Now that I think of it, we have heard of several attacks by them, like taking control of UT and such stuff in the past.
                              I bet he was one of them.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X