Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OT] Question about video cards.

Can I ask this here?

Anyway, I asked this in #ut, but everyone just went off talking about pee and poop.

okay, someone said that I shouldn't get the geforce TI 4800se. So I looked at fx cards, and I saw the fx 5700 ULTRA from evga. And I wonder, should I get this? Because I don't want to make the wrong decision. (And I want a vid card that is less then $170).

Go with the fx series 5700 you would want to get a card that supports dx9 for this years games!

Comment

I went with the 5900SE rather than the 5700 Ultra. The 5700U is clocked higher, but only has a 128 bit memory interface. The 5900SE has a 256 bit memory interface. Apparently the 5700 has an extra vertex engine or something, but the 5900SE pulls the same numbers due to its greater throughput. Anyways I'm happy with mine, whichever you get is up to you. I would recommend the 5900.

Comment

The next generation of graphics cards from both nVidia and ATi are just around the corner, perhaps this summer. They'll probably drive the cost of the current crop of cards way down.

Then you can get yourself a nice GeForce FX 59xx

Comment

Wait for the next set of cards, probably in march, then by one of this generations ATI cards. Nvidias latest line perform poorly in DX9 games.

Comment

Originally posted by drexel
            Wait for the next set of cards, probably in march, then by one of this generations ATI cards. Nvidias latest line perform poorly in DX9 games.
            Erm, not really. The poor scores have more or less been remedied. Still not quite as speedy as ATI, but far better than they were.

Comment

Re: [OT] Question about video cards.

Originally posted by Sanius
              Can I ask this here?

Anyway, I asked this in #ut, but everyone just went off talking about pee and poop.

okay, someone said that I shouldn't get the geforce TI 4800se. So I looked at fx cards, and I saw the fx 5700 ULTRA from evga. And I wonder, should I get this? Because I don't want to make the wrong decision. (And I want a vid card that is less then $170).
              yeah sure buy it
              you should be able to find it pretty cheap,much less than $170(id think)
              If you cant you might want to get a ati 9600 pro for about $130
              they are pretty compareable in performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dark_Spectre
                Erm, not really. The poor scores have more or less been remedied. Still not quite as speedy as ATI, but far better than they were.
                so why wont you go for ATi? dont they offer more bang for the buck?

the radeon 9600 pro is under 100 bucks on pricewatch, but i dont know how it fairs agaisnt nVidia's line-up... i dont pay attention to them anymore

Comment

Originally posted by cold wolf
                  so why wont you go for ATi? dont they offer more bang for the buck?

the radeon 9600 pro is under 100 bucks on pricewatch, but i dont know how it fairs agaisnt nVidia's line-up... i dont pay attention to them anymore
                  Almost did, but Nvidia won be back.

Comment

IMRO in the year 2004, the minimum requirement for any video card, be it a lowend or highend one, should be DX9 compliance.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron
                      IMRO in the year 2004, the minimum requirement for any video card, be it a lowend or highend one, should be DX9 compliance.
                      Not if you're an OpenGL user (Like the GNU/Linux folks)

Comment

Originally posted by DeathPenguin
                        Not if you're an OpenGL user (Like the GNU/Linux folks)
                        I still stand by my comment above.

Too many of the good cutting edge games are coming out with DX9 as a requirement. No offense to the OpenGL fans as I'm a supporter of OGL/GNU etc...

Comment

open gl still uses the same features on modern dx9 cards
                          doesnt matter if it doesnt use d3d
                          take doom III for example

Comment

get your self a nice ATI card....

i have a radeon 9600 PRO which give me about 80 fps to 90 with high on everything in ut2k3....

and it has done very well for me in the demo which has all the things set on high...

i paid about 240 canadian for mine(yes iam canadian) so i dont know what the conversion would be on that...

but if you can get a fx 5900 ultra for the money ur looking for by al means go for it...

but i have no idea what the 9800 pro goes for now that the XT version is out might be a little cheap....

BTW try not to cheap out on video cards because in the end more time u change it the more money u waste...

Comment

get a plain 5900 or 9800. there is no point in getting anything less. with a plain 5900 or 9800 you can overclock them like mad and really get your monies worth since the plain versions have all of the features of the Ultra or Pro versions (except maybe 256 MB of RAM, but hey we're on a budget here).

Comment

Working...
                              X