Everyone: lets help Epic with this little cool feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kronon
    Hmm, lets assume 100 string compares whenever someone types. That would be in the area of 1/10000 second for each word spoken.

1/10000 of a second (or 0.1 ms) per word spoken is a HUGE amount. The engine's entire Karma physics simulation in a typical Onslaught match takes ~3 ms and we were wishing we could make it better.

And it would only drain the computer that the speaking person sits at (if you exclude the actual text-to-speech translation, which will happen anyway).

No, the text is converted by the receiver of the text. I should think that would be obvious. Otherwise you'd have to either affect the typed text as well or send two strings to the server which would be a rediculously high waste of bandwidth. Not to mention that it just makes sense - why would I care what words you think should be replaced with what?

Comment

Originally posted by Mysterial
      1/10000 of a second (or 0.1 ms) per word spoken is a HUGE amount. The engine's entire Karma physics simulation in a typical Onslaught match takes ~3 ms and we were wishing we could make it better.[/b][/B]
      Yea, I know, but we are talking about something that occurs maybe in average 1 time every 1-5 seconds, not something that needs to be calculated for every frame.

And there is an option to turn text-to-speech off. I actually wished there was a such option for karma as well, but anyway, its up to the receiver to use it or not.

But have it your way. I was only trying to help *sniff*

/Kronon

Comment

how about saying the gametypes right?

ctf - capture the flag
        dm - death match
        ons - onslaught

etc.

Comment

roflolmaomg: role on fire laughing out laugh my a** off my god :bulb:

Comment

Mabye you should add commented-out lines so a user if he thinks his machine and himself can handle it can enable them.

Comment

Originally posted by FireCrack
              Mabye you should add commented-out lines so a user if he thinks his machine and himself can handle it can enable them.
              A simple GUI option would be better. So if you have text-to-speech enabled, you can also turn on translations.

/Kronon

Comment

Just get your self a 15$ mic and there no need for text to speech...

stupid feature hope there an option to turn it off in retail

Comment

type 'soy' in text2speech, its wierd

Comment

soy soy soy

GJ= GOOD JOB
                    WTB=Where's the base?

STFU&F- Shut the f up and frag

S&FF- SNIPE & FRAG PFH@G (u know the group snipe1 shoot anygun next.)

WTF= WHAT THE... they always say this.

X?C= XCUSE ME DOES ANYONE EVER PLAY OR IS THIS A &(*) CHAT ROOM?

GTGPBRB=Got to go p be right back /implies don't shoot...if u do ur a lame ****.

ITSP- Is this sniping practice?

1GMF-One Gun Mother F...

DYUAOG?- Do you use any OTHER GUN!?

:cry:

Comment

Working...
                    X