Clear All

OT: question for the hardware junkies here

This is my system;

AMD Athlon 1400Mhz
    512MB DDR RAM PC2100
    Radeon 9600xt 256MB
    ASUS A7N8X-X Mobo
    38GB HD

If I'd buy a new CPU with a FSB of 333/400Mhz, should I get 512MB PC2700/PC3200 or can I use my old memory then?

Get new PC2700/3200 so you can run it 1:1 with the fsb. AMD systems don't like async memory unlike Intels.

Comment

Grab a 2500+ and pc3200 run in sync like dog said and you could get a nice oc :up: I have the same mobo set BIOS internal freq to 200mhz and that board will think it has a 3200+

Comment

More Stuff to Buy...

Get the new RAM, I agree. Because you will want the RAM to match your mobo. :up:

Comment

I have seen the 2500+barton for like $75usd and kingston valueram pc3200 for $95 do both you'll be happier in the end.

www.newegg.com

Comment

2700 is guaranteed to run 166mhz (333mhz). 3200 is guaranteed to run 200mhz (400mhz). I know some people have gotten their 2700 memory to hit 200mhz, but its not always a sure thing.

I'd play it safe and go with the 3200. That way you're guaranteed to sync at 400mhz, plus any additional headroom you can squeeze out of your CPU and RAM.

Oh and for the record i've got a 2500 Barton paired with 512 PC3200. She does 11x200 (2.2 ghz, equivalent to an XP 3200) standing on her head. :up:

Comment

i'm not sure about the answer to that question but i do know that if i don't study hard tomorrow morning my linear algebra midterm is going to brutalize me.

Comment

Originally posted by MachDelta
                Oh and for the record i've got a 2500 Barton paired with 512 PC3200. She does 11x200 (2.2 ghz, equivalent to an XP 3200) standing on her head. :up:
                Running the same rig (proper cooling can be a real $$ saver) What do you have for a GFX card??

Comment

R9700 pro

She does me good, though newer games are starting to be pretty hefty loads on the poor girl.

Comment

what do you mean by load?

its not hard to turn *some* parts of the graphics down.

i have a geforce 5200 *ULTRA* this card can out preform the 5600 xt and in some benches the standard 5600.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry1978
                      i'm not sure about the answer to that question but i do know that if i don't study hard tomorrow morning my linear algebra midterm is going to brutalize me.
                      Oh yeah, respects...........

Comment

Working...
                      X