Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, are we sick of Onslaught yet?

Cuz I am.

Games have gone from being fun "OMGOMGOMGOMG NEW TOYS!@!!!", to "I'm better at being lame than u" matches.

Last game was a point in case. My team was pushed back (stupid redeemer) to our base, and pinned there permanently by a combination of the following tactics:
    1. One guy in a manta camped on the teleporter
    2. One guy outside the entrance to our base, lobbing spider mines and grenades into it.
    3. One guy in a goliath, sitting just far enough away from the goliath's spawn that he could zoom in and spam our entrance (near the Hellbender) with cannon fire
    4. One guy parked on the hill with a hellbender, sniping anything he saw with the plasma cannon
    5. Two other guys on the hill, firing Avrils and LGs at anything that moved (esp our turrets)
    6. One guy in a raptor hovering about a mile in the air and two miles away, firing randomly at our core. The moment you got a missile lock on him, he retreated into the fog.
    7. One doofus constantly running into our base with Mantas and mowing over new spawns (he never even fired at the core)
    8. One guy camping the Deemer spawn... and not using it on our core :bulb:

This left... hmm... three guys who were actually attacking our core. The rest of them were content to camp in/around/away from our base and just throw **** at it, ensuring we had no possible hope of ever getting out alive. (I think I made it to our first node once in a Manta... jumped out, shot the node 3 times, and then got nuked by the goliath :bulb: )

It was by far the stupidest game of ONS i've played yet. And the thing that worries me is this behaviour is becoming more and more common. Chances are pretty good that you'll find someone pulling something stupid like sitting on the teleporter, or spam/sniping with the goliath once one team gets pushed back into their base. And TBH its starting to wear on my nerves. I'm actually finding good ol' CTF more enjoyable sometimes.

Then again, maybe its just Torlan. The way the nodes are set up, and the way the bases are designed. Though I fear other ONS maps will have similarly abusable bases (just by their nature). I guess if I could change things, i'd start by making bases about 10x tougher than they are. Spawns hidden away (teamtriggered doors), everyone and their dog with an AVRiL/LG/Flak/Spiders, automated turrets sprinkled liberally about the place, vehicle hangars (so they can't be trashed pre-use), and a secret/seperate exit that can't be spammed. Yeah, i'd turn the place into a motherf*cking fortress. It IS a "base" after all, right?

But hey, this ain't all about me *****in and complainin. This is a forum, so share your thoughts on the matter. Anyone have some effective counters to llama-warfare? Especially multi-llamas like above. In general, anyone have any tips on how to bust out of your base? I find once one team is pushed back that far, they're basically f---ed. Has ONS lost its charm yet? Or are we just starting to see some "gameplay bugs" that need ironed out?

C/Q/C away.

Game wasnt all that fun to begin with. I like assault much better. Actually Id say ons is the worst game type, after TDM.

Comment

Learn tactics to fight back such as grab a raptor and attack the manta thats camping the teleporter and get on top of the tower with lightning guns to kill some of those people

Comment

Re: So, are we sick of Onslaught yet?

Never encountered someone camping the manta up there, tho I did have a guy cover the area with spider mines

I'm the suicidal type, if he's lobbing spider mines and grenades, I bum-rush him

Usually take out the goliaths, or die trying

Helllbender campers always got smacked pretty quick

AVRiL/LG campers were disposed of by snipers on my team

Simple, fire a rocket upwards, then lock him when it gets near

Get a Flak cannon shot in his face

Never really worried about those kind of people

Tho I did have one game where my entire team worked well to secure the win for that round, then must have had a quickie lobotomies right before the next round, cuz the other team had 3 nodes capped before anyone other than me even left the base :bulb:

Comment

First of all, your team sucked: you deserved to lose...nobody said it was going to be fun losing. Second of all, epic will change things or mappers will change things if some of these things really become big problems. And third of all, the default link setup could be at fault for a lot of this stuff, games are decided too early on ons-torlan and are ending similarily to the way you described.

Comment

Haven't had it happen to me yet, but probably because I hardly play ONS at all. You basically describe the reason why I don't, actually. So far all of the vehicle-based shooters I've played seem to reward spawnrape and that typical "it seems to be effective so I'll use it, sod sportsmanship" style of play. Was worried the same would happen with vehicles in UT and unfortunately you're confirming that...

Stopped playing BF42 online too after getting blown up by some baseraping tank half a second after spawning for the umpteenth time. Hopefully there'll be maps that deal with that problem in the full release for all of you fans of the gametype...

Comment

Originally posted by MachDelta
              Cuz I am.

Games have gone from being fun "OMGOMGOMGOMG NEW TOYS!@!!!", to "I'm better at being lame than u" matches.

Last game was a point in case. My team was pushed back (stupid redeemer) to our base, and pinned there permanently by a combination of the following tactics:
              2. One guy outside the entrance to our base, lobbing spider mines and grenades into it.
              3. One guy in a goliath, sitting just far enough away from the goliath's spawn that he could zoom in and spam our entrance (near the Hellbender) with cannon fire
              4. One guy parked on the hill with a hellbender, sniping anything he saw with the plasma cannon
              5. Two other guys on the hill, firing Avrils and LGs at anything that moved (esp our turrets)
              6. One guy in a raptor hovering about a mile in the air and two miles away, firing randomly at our core. The moment you got a missile lock on him, he retreated into the fog.
              7. One doofus constantly running into our base with Mantas and mowing over new spawns (he never even fired at the core)

This left... hmm... three guys who were actually attacking our core. The rest of them were content to camp in/around/away from our base and just throw **** at it, ensuring we had no possible hope of ever getting out alive. (I think I made it to our first node once in a Manta... jumped out, shot the node 3 times, and then got nuked by the goliath :bulb: )

It was by far the stupidest game of ONS i've played yet. And the thing that worries me is this behaviour is becoming more and more common. Chances are pretty good that you'll find someone pulling something stupid like sitting on the teleporter, or spam/sniping with the goliath once one team gets pushed back into their base. And TBH its starting to wear on my nerves. I'm actually finding good ol' CTF more enjoyable sometimes.

Then again, maybe its just Torlan. The way the nodes are set up, and the way the bases are designed. Though I fear other ONS maps will have similarly abusable bases (just by their nature). I guess if I could change things, i'd start by making bases about 10x tougher than they are. Spawns hidden away (teamtriggered doors), everyone and their dog with an AVRiL/LG/Flak/Spiders, automated turrets sprinkled liberally about the place, vehicle hangars (so they can't be trashed pre-use), and a secret/seperate exit that can't be spammed. Yeah, i'd turn the place into a motherf*cking fortress. It IS a "base" after all, right?

But hey, this ain't all about me *****in and complainin. This is a forum, so share your thoughts on the matter. Anyone have some effective counters to llama-warfare? Especially multi-llamas like above. In general, anyone have any tips on how to bust out of your base? I find once one team is pushed back that far, they're basically f---ed. Has ONS lost its charm yet? Or are we just starting to see some "gameplay bugs" that need ironed out?

C/Q/C away.
              hahah, someone needs to go back and watch the tutorial

Comment

// MachDelta :
                What the hell was your team doing ?
                It's almost as if you were forced to defend your entire base yourself,while 12-16 enemies were attacking ...

That said I do agree that at least part of the base were people spawn should be easier to defend.
                'cause even with spawnprotection it's pretty impossible to break a blockade such as you describe.

Comment

Hey, to me it seems like most of the other team made their job, i.e. stopping you from comming back. Face it, they played as a team!

Three guys taking out the core is enough, the rest of the team should destroy the other teams chances to take back Node 1, kill the guys destroying the core, etc.

Your team can only get out of that grip playing like a team as well. It's tough, but it should be!

Comment

But hey, this ain't all about me *****in and complainin. This is a forum, so share your thoughts on the matter. Anyone have some effective counters to llama-warfare?
                    So you're crying and *****ing cause you got owned so seriously that you could not even get out of your base... and then you call the other team llamas? Riiight....
                    Especially multi-llamas like above.
                    Lol, "multi-llamas". How about admitting that their team work was better than yours, llama?

Comment

This is no problem, realy!

You CAN take out vehicles even on foot, there are counter measures for these things on wheel and in the sky!

I love Onslaught and the way it plays. One moment it seems like only e few moments 'til victory. Then, just one minute later the oppsing team knocks on your door, punching my core1

Originally posted by yoghurt
                      Haven't had it happen to me yet, but probably because I hardly play ONS at all. You basically describe the reason why I don't, actually. So far all of the vehicle-based shooters I've played seem to reward spawnrape and that typical "it seems to be effective so I'll use it, sod sportsmanship" style of play. Was worried the same would happen with vehicles in UT and unfortunately you're confirming that...

Stopped playing BF42 online too after getting blown up by some baseraping tank half a second after spawning for the umpteenth time. Hopefully there'll be maps that deal with that problem in the full release for all of you fans of the gametype...

Comment

So, are we sick of Onslaught yet?
                        Cuz I am.

One guy in a manta camped on the teleporter

One guy outside the entrance to our base, lobbing spider mines and grenades into it.

One guy in a goliath, sitting just far enough away from the goliath's spawn that he could zoom in and spam our entrance (near the Hellbender) with cannon fire

One guy parked on the hill with a hellbender, sniping anything he saw with the plasma cannon

Two other guys on the hill, firing Avrils and LGs at anything that moved (esp our turrets)

One guy in a raptor hovering about a mile in the air and two miles away, firing randomly at our core. The moment you got a missile lock on him, he retreated into the fog.

One doofus constantly running into our base with Mantas and mowing over new spawns (he never even fired at the core)

One guy camping the Deemer spawn... and not using it on our core

This left... hmm... three guys who were actually attacking our core. The rest of them were content to camp in/around/away from our base and just throw **** at it, ensuring we had no possible hope of ever getting out alive. (I think I made it to our first node once in a Manta... jumped out, shot the node 3 times, and then got nuked by the goliath )

C/Q/C away.

HAHA HAH you deserve IT!!!!, if you were smart, you should have switched teams and camped with the other team. Thats what i do, well usually.

:up:

Comment

Yeah, it sounds like the other team played it just right. If you had managed to turn the tables and eventually win, would this thread even exist? It's so great when that happens. If your team had managed to break out of that situation, I bet they would have been focused enough to win, leaving the other team to make these threads.:up:

Personally, I love the gametype for the reasons you stated. To see the little things you do alter the course of the game. If enough of your teammates are just as busy, it starts paying off and you get the win.

TBH, your team must have been doing something right to stop these lamers winning sooner. Maybe next time, you can break free and kick some ****. gg

Comment

Cuz I am.

C/Q/C away.
                            So, to cut a long story short you were owned? :bulb:

Comment

Im tired of noobs that dont have a clue what to do(which almost every server is cram packed with them)
                              And I am very tired of the map

Comment

Working...
                              X