X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Onslaught is like communism;
    good in theory but horrible by the public,
    only the organised can maintain it well.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MechaFubs
    Your problem is that you got too narrow minded, you could have done this:

1) Grab the manta!
    2) Exit the base from the side (yeah - you remeber that? The exit that doesnt point towards your node).
    3) Drive round the back and take out the guy in the hellbender on the hill.
    4) Grab the weapons locker on the top of the hill.
    5) with your newly aquired AVRiL take out that camper on the tower.
    6) Take out all the other small vehicles
    7) Try to take out the goliath

That should give the rest of your team the oppertunity to get out of the base and make a comeback.

But I guess you simply spawned, ran for the main exit, died, spawned, ran.... etc
    You're assuming that there isn't a Manta or some other vehicle camped right over your spawn. I don't think most servers enable spawn protection.

I see this being a big problem in comp, once a team gets down there's really not much chance once the spawncamping starts. Sure they may have deserved it, but why bother with cores, just end the match once spawns have been sat on for 10 seconds.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I played on some pubs last night and it still is real fun.

And the good thing wa: Nobody shouted at to shut up when I explained some basic rules via teamspeak (you cannot heal nodes with Flak, you cannot heal the core and the usual stuff).

But there were a few good players and there were some nice battles and at least two full comebacks (when one team only had the core left) and few where hard battles.

The Servers had different Link-Setups in their rotation, though.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: So, are we sick of Onslaught yet?

Originally posted by MachDelta
    Cuz I am.

Games have gone from being fun "OMGOMGOMGOMG NEW TOYS!@!!!", to "I'm better at being lame than u" matches.

Last game was a point in case. My team was pushed back (stupid redeemer) to our base, and pinned there permanently by a combination of the following tactics:
    1. One guy in a manta camped on the teleporter
    2. One guy outside the entrance to our base, lobbing spider mines and grenades into it.
    3. One guy in a goliath, sitting just far enough away from the goliath's spawn that he could zoom in and spam our entrance (near the Hellbender) with cannon fire
    4. One guy parked on the hill with a hellbender, sniping anything he saw with the plasma cannon
    5. Two other guys on the hill, firing Avrils and LGs at anything that moved (esp our turrets)
    6. One guy in a raptor hovering about a mile in the air and two miles away, firing randomly at our core. The moment you got a missile lock on him, he retreated into the fog.
    7. One doofus constantly running into our base with Mantas and mowing over new spawns (he never even fired at the core)
    8. One guy camping the Deemer spawn... and not using it on our core :bulb:

This left... hmm... three guys who were actually attacking our core. The rest of them were content to camp in/around/away from our base and just throw **** at it, ensuring we had no possible hope of ever getting out alive. (I think I made it to our first node once in a Manta... jumped out, shot the node 3 times, and then got nuked by the goliath :bulb: )

It was by far the stupidest game of ONS i've played yet. And the thing that worries me is this behaviour is becoming more and more common. Chances are pretty good that you'll find someone pulling something stupid like sitting on the teleporter, or spam/sniping with the goliath once one team gets pushed back into their base. And TBH its starting to wear on my nerves. I'm actually finding good ol' CTF more enjoyable sometimes.

Then again, maybe its just Torlan. The way the nodes are set up, and the way the bases are designed. Though I fear other ONS maps will have similarly abusable bases (just by their nature). I guess if I could change things, i'd start by making bases about 10x tougher than they are. Spawns hidden away (teamtriggered doors), everyone and their dog with an AVRiL/LG/Flak/Spiders, automated turrets sprinkled liberally about the place, vehicle hangars (so they can't be trashed pre-use), and a secret/seperate exit that can't be spammed. Yeah, i'd turn the place into a motherf*cking fortress. It IS a "base" after all, right?

But hey, this ain't all about me *****in and complainin. This is a forum, so share your thoughts on the matter. Anyone have some effective counters to llama-warfare? Especially multi-llamas like above. In general, anyone have any tips on how to bust out of your base? I find once one team is pushed back that far, they're basically f---ed. Has ONS lost its charm yet? Or are we just starting to see some "gameplay bugs" that need ironed out?

C/Q/C away.

To be honest, it sounds like they were acting as a team, it sounds almost as if you were playing another clan that was very orginized. It's fine to camp the base with a manta and run over people, sounds like they were just plain good.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok!

If there is one thing I NEVER do, it's to enter the enemy base with my tank. It does more good on the outside, spreading chaos all around!

The other team could have been playing it safe. The tactic works, even if it was by coincidence.

Also, they might have been pure sadistic!

Keep on the slaughter!

Originally posted by MachDelta
    The other team could have charged in en-mass and ended the game in seconds, easilly. They had Goliaths ...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by KnightmareZ
    My small complaint is that it seems taking the power core is the smallest hurdle to over come for the offensive team because once you are at that point, you have a ton of resources available to you and your team. Its to the point where you don't even need team work at that point, you just barrage them with suicide missions until their core runs out of juice.

It should just be a little harder to take the final power core. Small tweaks. Other than that , I love this game mode.
    That's only true in some Link Designs, the default design only somewhat.

With this Link Design;

[screenshot]http://members.shaw.ca/mtucker/images/Flanked.jpg[/screenshot]

Both teams always have some big guns, and can Flank the other team at the Central Node.

Whereas a Link Design like this one:

Originally posted by Blaag

[screenshot]http://blaaguuu.home.comcast.net/link1.jpg[/screenshot]
    ... it's all or nothing... once they're at you node, you are vastly outgunned.

The maps play very differently with different Link Designs.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Oxide
    I am sick of the way the ending has to be so drawn out, without any chance for the defending team (vs an equally skilled team) to do a comeback. Put the cores hitpoints down to that of a regular node maybe, just end the crappy round. Or make the base an actual base, not some open spawncamping area.
    There is nothing to add. ONS-Torlan has some real issues.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Oxide
    I am sick of the way the ending has to be so drawn out, without any chance for the defending team (vs an equally skilled team) to do a comeback. Put the cores hitpoints down to that of a regular node maybe, just end the crappy round. Or make the base an actual base, not some open spawncamping area.
    I think the endings are great. Some of the most ferocious fighting happens at the end. And it's not entirely unheard of for the defending team to turn things around. I know it's rare, but I've seen it happen, and when it does, wow! You couldn't ask for a more exciting ending to a game.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'll never be sick of onslaught, I could last with just Torlan for a good few months :up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm not sick of ONS, I'm sick of the map as some other posters have stated. And we have, what, another month to go before the game is released?

Yeah, I'll be real sick of Torlan by then.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I can guarantee that I have seen strategies used that will utterly dominate Torlan inside of one minute. The server you were on must have been people that just like toying with a losing team. That happens. My suggestion is to find a clan that knows what they are doing completely, and play online with them. I myself am doing this, and I feel confident that the only people they are going to go up against will be other teams that are interested in playing ONS as it was meant, not just sitting back and fragging n00bs.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just need to be creative. People are generally out having fun and practicing, no reason to get annoyed.

If your not on voip that may be another problem. Sometimes asking for someone to take out things that are harassing a node or base is all you need to do to get it done. "someone shoot down that raptor" "theres a tank on the hill that needs to be take'n out" can get things accomplished alot faster then trying to do it yourself. Even new guys become useful if their in the right place at the right time and someone alerts them...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    My small complaint is that it seems taking the power core is the smallest hurdle to over come for the offensive team because once you are at that point, you have a ton of resources available to you and your team. Its to the point where you don't even need team work at that point, you just barrage them with suicide missions until their core runs out of juice.

It should just be a little harder to take the final power core. Small tweaks. Other than that , I love this game mode.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X