So, are we sick of Onslaught yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kronon
    The best would be if we got roughly 25% on each gametype.

/Kronon
    :weird:

25% (ONS) + 25% (AS) + 25% (CTF) + 25% (BR) + 25% (DM/TDM) + 25% (DDom) + etc etc etc

=

... way more than 100%

You know, I always knew math probably wasn't your strongest attribute, given how you wildly toss crazy statistics all over the place... but I had no idea the affliction was this severe .

Comment

Originally posted by JaFO(JBE)
      // MachDelta :
      What the hell was your team doing ?
      It's almost as if you were forced to defend your entire base yourself,while 12-16 enemies were attacking ...

That said I do agree that at least part of the base were people spawn should be easier to defend.
      'cause even with spawnprotection it's pretty impossible to break a blockade such as you describe.
      1 they where dying.
      2 they where dying..
      3 they where dying...

obviosly

the problem isnt the base spawnpoints the problem is the last power node and that its completly exposed, by simply raising a protective ridge so the attackers actually have to attack the power node instead of now camp on the cliffs/ridges and shoot anything that moves towards...

would make the game far more intense, the deffenders actually could make a comeback and it wouldnt be as repetitive and boring as it currently is where the attackers just camps the ridges hills and spam the last power node, by raising a protective ridge infront of the last power node, the attackers would be forced to attack the power node directly than just spam it...

Comment

Of the team gametypes available, ONS is the least forgiving, imho.

CTF, TDM, BR, even AS... a really good player on an otherwise less skilled team can turn the tide. Heck, the first few times I playes AS-Convoy Instant Action I just ended up trying to play catch-up with the bots on my team.

In ONS, if your team isn't working together, you'll get pasted.

A average team with a little co-ordination will beat a team of mixed players that are all freelancing.

Even XMP is more forgiving, as the various hackables can be taken in any order...

So ONS is a great game, but it is a little harder on the Ego than the other gametypes...

... it can be hard to co-ordinate a team of strangers on the Pubs during a match and turn the tide, but not impossible.

Some changes to the map (numbered PowerNodes would be fantastic !!!), and people getting used to using VOiP or voice binds, and things will pick up.

That said, take it as a challenge. I know it's hard, espicially when some people just quit the server if they're losing... making a difficult situation near impossible.

Suck it up. Learn from it. Don't worry about losing. Go down fighting.

That said, a Resign team vote command may be useful too.

Comment

Originally posted by JavaGuy
          :weird:

25% (ONS) + 25% (AS) + 25% (CTF) + 25% (BR) + 25% (DM/TDM) + 25% (DDom) + etc etc etc

=

... way more than 100%

You know, I always knew math probably wasn't your strongest attribute, given how you wildly toss crazy statistics all over the place... but I had no idea the affliction was this severe .
          Hehe, sounds good though, doesn't it

I was talking about 4 gametypes though (DM, CTF, Ons and Assault)

/Kronon

Comment

I admit that I have grown tired of ONS.

I have not played in over a week.

Judgement is still out for me. After all, this could be due to the lack of any map rotation.

Playing the same map over and over just gets plain dull.

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop Gantry
              1 they where dying.
              2 they where dying..
              3 they where dying...

obviosly
              So ? The game doesn't have to suck just because the team you happen to pick is not even half as effective as the enemy ?
              It's like whining about a pro owning the server and then saying that DM sucks because you couldn't win that time.

The endgame in ONS is going to be pretty much like MachDelta describes if one team is too good compared to the other. The trick of course never to let the enemy get that far.

[b]
              the problem isnt the base spawnpoints the problem is the last power node and that its completly exposed, by simply raising a protective ridge so the attackers actually have to attack the power node instead of now camp on the cliffs/ridges and shoot anything that moves towards...
              [b]
              One redeemer would eliminate that node just as fast with those extra 'defenses'... (and it certainly will if the attacking team owns half the map or more)

Then there's the possibility of taking those ridges yourself so the enemy doesn't get a chance to dig in.
              ie : defending the node doesn't mean you stand near your node and wait for the attackers to come ...

Never mind that alternate link-setups allow you to set the base-node in a more defendable area without altering the map.

... the attackers would be forced to attack the power node directly than just spam it...
              They can disable the node any way they want to, however to take the node they need to get in there and expose themselves.
              That is the time you get the chance to strike back as they'll have just as much difficulty defending that node as you as only a single-celled entity would attack from the most exposed direction possible.

Comment

No way. I'm lovin it still. Working with clans we get organized battles going on and man is it fun!
                If you join noob servers...then that explains why you are bored.

Comment

Your team just sucked. I've been in the same frustrating position, doing everything I can to get the tards out and away from my core, but the rest of my team is spamming things like

"IS THIS CFT DM!?1/1/1?"

In the chat console.

Next time, just find a better team. When I get "served" and my team is obviously not doing anything useful, I leave and find a server with a team that knows what to do.

One man armies just don't work sometimes.

Comment

Hell no! Still enjoying Onslaught to its fullest ^^
                    Try finding servers with custom link setups for some variation.

Today, I played some of my best Ons games ever - on pubs to boot. I've noticed that with two well-balanced teams, getting out of a lockdown can be difficult. But the real fight is to achieve that lockdown - the matches I played all went into overtime without any Core being damaged.

And I agree with most posters - the topic maker just faced a well cordinated team, while his own seemed quite unexperienced.

Originally posted by ThePerfectCore
                    One man armies just don't work sometimes.
                    Especially not in Onslaught.

Comment

You weren't listening were you?

Originally posted by MechaFubs
                      Your problem is that you got too narrow minded, you could have done this:

1) Grab the manta!
                      2) Exit the base from the side (yeah - you remeber that? The exit that doesnt point towards your node).
                      3) Drive round the back and take out the guy in the hellbender on the hill.
                      4) Grab the weapons locker on the top of the hill.
                      5) with your newly aquired AVRiL take out that camper on the tower.
                      6) Take out all the other small vehicles
                      7) Try to take out the goliath

That should give the rest of your team the oppertunity to get out of the base and make a comeback.

But I guess you simply spawned, ran for the main exit, died, spawned, ran.... etc
                      With two tanks camping their base, both exits are covered. and vehicles are destroyed almost as soon as they spawn. Trust me I've done it, tho I was moving the tank in for the kill. Baisically too many players + teamwork = devistation and mass destruction! Sorry you got owned like that, it's not fun and I've been in your shoes too. Not fun, but try playing with fewer ppl.

Comment

Quite simply there are strategic areas on Torlan that gives an advatage to the team that controls that area (more than just nodes!). You have listed most of them in your original post.

It seems the issue is 'tactics vs. death match chaos', and tactics should always win in ONS mode.

Everything you mentioned is available to both teams and has a counter or weakness that you can use to 'counter' that area. Nothing you mentioned is unstoppable, but you aren't going to be able to do it all yourself. I'm sorry you had poor allies and I know it sux but that doesn't reflect on the game play or game mode in question.

Comment

Re: So, are we sick of Onslaught yet?

Originally posted by MachDelta

1. One guy in a manta camped on the teleporter
                          2. One guy outside the entrance to our base, lobbing spider mines and grenades into it.
                          3. One guy in a goliath, sitting just far enough away from the goliath's spawn that he could zoom in and spam our entrance (near the Hellbender) with cannon fire
                          4. One guy parked on the hill with a hellbender, sniping anything he saw with the plasma cannon
                          5. Two other guys on the hill, firing Avrils and LGs at anything that moved (esp our turrets)
                          6. One guy in a raptor hovering about a mile in the air and two miles away, firing randomly at our core. The moment you got a missile lock on him, he retreated into the fog.
                          7. One doofus constantly running into our base with Mantas and mowing over new spawns (he never even fired at the core)
                          8. One guy camping the Deemer spawn... and not using it on our core :bulb:

2-7 seem like just good tactics to me, lol.

Comment

Yay! Mission accomplished

One thing though... plz don't call me a nub, cuz I aint.

Anyways... yes, my team got served, as Cliffy so elequently put it . Yes, we were vastly outplayed, and lacked teamwork. Yes yes yes! I've never disputed any of those things. I never expected to win.
                            My beef was with *how* we were trapped and exterminated. The other team could have charged in en-mass and ended the game in seconds, easilly. They had Goliaths, they had Raptors, Mantas, and Scorpions. They even had the f*cking redeemer, which they wisely decided to use to clear off the tower whenever someone managed to shoot down the Manta . But nope, the majority of them decided to hang back and just rack up frags, instead of going for the jugular. And TBH I'm a bit stunned to see so many players agree with the type of behaviour I described. Apparently many players moral boundries differ from mine (not that i'm suprised). Thats OK I guess, even if its a little depressing.

But anywho, thanks for the comments so far guys.

Comment

LOL indeed. The game was 2 vs 7 and there are complaints that the team with 2 players is losing???? If what you are saying is true then he better have got wiped out and more importantly, then what's the point of this thread, 2 vs 7 is imbalanced? WHAT A SHOCK!

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrilaxe
                                HAHA HAH you deserve IT!!!!, if you were smart, you should have switched teams and camped with the other team. Thats what i do, well usually.

Comment

Working...
                                X