256meg recommended???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

256meg recommended???

So I start to read the demo manual today and this jumps right out at me. The question is what do I get in terms of visuals for porking out $500 for a high-end 256meg card? I don't mind buying it (at least not TOO much), but I need to know it would supply more than just a modest improvement in what I'm seeing with my 9700P. BTW, I had a chance to touch a ASUS 9800 XT today while helping a friend with his machine. It looks VERY high-end. Fit and finish are top-notch, two fans and a heavy cooper cooling solution that covers the RAM too.

I was almost jealous!

If you have a 9700 pro -- don't do it. You'll get a minimal increase of FPS. Atleast wait till the next series.

Comment

256meg is the minimum comp ram not the card.

Get the latest graphixs card if you want,it can only improve your fps:-)

[edit] it says in the manual 64 meg video card recommended.

Comment

Firstly, you will notice growth in the area of the ePenis.

Secondly, more RAM just means more room to throw around those high-res textures.

I remember Cliffy saying that CTF-December had over 300 MB of textures at the highest-detail, so I guess more video-card RAM means less swapping to system RAM, which translates to increased performance.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkHydra
          If you have a 9700 pro -- don't do it. You'll get a minimal increase of FPS. Atleast wait till the next series.
          Just a modest increase in FPS??? I was thinking that there would be SOME increase in visual quality. Man, that's just wrong!

Comment

DONT DO IT MAN DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!111

seriously, don't. wait until the next bunch like the guy above said.

are you overclocking your card using something like Riva Tuner? you should if you aren't. Riva Tuner makes things real easy and it's fairly safe if you up the overlock slightly. my GeForce 3 gives me like 10 more FPS with overclocking than without. :up:

http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/

Comment

My understanding is that you will need a 256 MB card to take advantage of the new ultra high res graphics and is completely separate from your computer's ram.

MrPresley

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry1978
                DONT DO IT MAN DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!111

seriously, don't. wait until the next bunch like the guy above said.

are you overclocking your card using something like Riva Tuner? you should if you aren't. Riva Tuner makes things real easy and it's fairly safe if you up the overlock slightly. my GeForce 3 gives me like 10 more FPS with overclocking than without. :up:

http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/
                No OCing on the VPU. It still runs everything I have without a stumble. I'll take a look a RT though. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by mrpresley
                  My understanding is that you will need a 256 MB card to take advantage of the new ultra high res graphics and is completely separate from your computer's ram.

MrPresley
                  Man, how things have changed. My first comp had 4k memory out of the box.

Comment

Khmer Spirit,

You know I'm a nVidia person however I read that the next gen ATI cores are due around April...if you are going to upgrade your card I'd wait until then man :up:

FWIW my 256 MB RAM works fantastic....I really am liking my Fx 5950 Ultra

Comment

Originally posted by mrpresley

MrPresley

They recommend 256MB of ram on your MOTHERBOARD NOT THE VIDEO CARD. The video card is recommended at 64MB

Memory: 128 MB RAM minimum (256 MB recommended)
                      Hard Disk Space: 5.5 GB free
                      Video: Any Windows-compatible video card(NVIDIA GeForce 2 or ATI Radeon with at least 64 megs of video memory recommended)

Don't get yourselves confused over video ram and system ram.

Comment

Originally posted by cool_guy_43081
                        They recommend 256MB of ram on your MOTHERBOARD NOT THE VIDEO CARD. The video card is recommended at 64MB

Oh, okay... Never mind then.

Comment

Originally posted by cool_guy_43081

Hmmm...I have 1Gb of DDR Ram and I still get occasional paging file hits on huge maps with many people...I doubt anyone can play a good game of UT2004 with 256Mb RAM likewise 64MB of VRAM does not get you past first base anymore....

Comment

Originally posted by Ejen34
                            Khmer Spirit,

You know I'm a nVidia person however I read that the next gen ATI cores are due around April...if you are going to upgrade your card I'd wait until then man :up:

FWIW my 256 MB RAM works fantastic....I really am liking my Fx 5950 Ultra
                            Understood. Yeah, I've been looking at the 5950U golden sample (good reviews), but nVidia is getting trashed SO bad I'm afraid they'll do a 3dfx on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Brownstone
                              Firstly, you will notice growth in the area of the ePenis.
                              :up:

Comment

Working...
                              X