Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There should be a self destruct on vehicles!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There should be a self destruct on vehicles!

IMO this really should be in. ATM it's impossible to kill your own vehicles even if they're smoking and useless. I've seen people employ a very effective but IMO lame (because illogical and relying on a quirky game-rule) tactic: shooting a vehicle until the driver gets out to save his life, then leave the vehicle there forever so it won't respawn!
    This is especially annoying with the Goliath and the HellBender since there's only 2 and 3 of those in the map, respectively.
    The solution would be to put a self-destruct sequence in the vehicles: press the configured button (or maybe use the "suicide" command?) and a countdown from 5 starts. If you're still in the vehicle by 2 it cancels. If it gets to 0 after you jumped out, the vehicle should disable itself (read: explode!) and respawn after the set time. (or even with a penalty, just so long as it respawns)

Sound like a good idea?

IIRC Mark Rein said in that video that vehicles gradually lose health if used and then left unattended. Haven't tested that, though...

And yeah, self- destruct would be a nice feature provided it couldn't be abused.

Second thought: tried using the grenade launcher?

Comment

I'm pretty sure if nobody touches it for like, 30 seconds, it dissapears and respawns at the base/node.

Comment

I've noticed this as a really big problem with the Raptor... if you get out to grab some ammo or to build a node.... after a while i've had them dissapear on me... i wanted to have it handy to get back into... playing without a vehicle in this game is a quick way to die or a slow way to get somewhere (or not) and if i park a vehicle somewhere... leave it there so i can get back into it when i want it.

Comment

I noticed this a lot of times too

I jump out of my vehicle to heal/touch a node and when I turn around like 3 seconds later the vehicle is already disappeared :bulb:

Comment

A self-destruct would be nice. However, I don't like how it disables if you are not out by the time it counts to 2.

You should have to press a button twice in a row (like ENTER or whatever it is binded to), this would make it harder to acidently enable self-destruct. Once you do this, a five second countdown should start. Once the announcer says "zero," the vehicle should explode as if it was shot down with any weapon. If you are still in when it explodes, the announcer will have to scream out "Kamikaze!"

Comment

Hmm... I suppose the time it takes for an unattended vehicle to disappear could be a little longer if this wasn't in as well.
              So anyway, I've seen a damaged tank stand around the entrance to the central node for a LONG time at least once, and it's silly that the countdown is gone as soon as someone touches it as well.

As for the Kamikaze thing... maybe. But it would make sense to me that vehicles made to protect their owner won't blow them up as well. (btw, binding self-destruct under suicide will effectively prevent accidental use as well)

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha
                Hmm... I suppose the time it takes for an unattended vehicle to disappear could be a little longer if this wasn't in as well.
                So anyway, I've seen a damaged tank stand around the entrance to the central node for a LONG time at least once, and it's silly that the countdown is gone as soon as someone touches it as well.

As for the Kamikaze thing... maybe. But it would make sense to me that vehicles made to protect their owner won't blow them up as well. (btw, binding self-destruct under suicide will effectively prevent accidental use as well)
                However, there are times when someone would want to stay in a vehicle as it explodes. Like if you were in a Raptor, you might want to crash it into a Tank or something. Would get it down quickly. Just a thought.

Comment

yeah, but then you can use that against people, start the countdown, aim for a node, and duck out at the right time...

Right now, you can't do such a thing unless you've loaded a vehicle full of grenades...

Mantas and scorpions will bombing vehicles, though this may not be that bad of a thing...the more explosions the merrier.

Comment

Originally posted by supernewbie
                    I noticed this a lot of times too

I jump out of my vehicle to heal/touch a node and when I turn around like 3 seconds later the vehicle is already disappeared :bulb:

some ****** stole it

Comment

Note: Currently, if you type in suicide while in a vehicle, it acts as though you died on foot where you first picked up the vehicle, and then the vehicle you were in remain undamaged.

Comment

Originally posted by !Wicked DUDE!
                        some ****** stole it
                        No. It DISAPPEARS.
                        If someone got your Raptor from the 'deemer tower, at least he would've used and left a Raptor to get there... unless you're talking about an invisible flying ****** maybe.

Originally posted by A-UT-Monkey
                        yeah, but then you can use that against people, start the countdown, aim for a node, and duck out at the right time...
                        I dunno... I dont think a dead vehicle can do more against a heavily armoured node than a live one, and most vehicles have pretty small explosions anyway. (happened several times that I didn't notice a tank that was standing next to me was destroyed)

Comment

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...hreadid=350350

Comment

It was that thread that finally made me realise your guns DON'T do damage to friendly vehicles, ever.

Comment

Perhaps the easiest thing is to have unoccupied vehilces not be covered under Friendly Fire/ Team Damage settings...

... that way, you can destroy them yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X