Leaders: how to use the mic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaders: how to use the mic

if you are playing Onslaught and folks are asking n00b questions - don't flame them. be a leader.

use the Public channel, and quickly explain things to them using the mic. don't hog the channel. just quickly help them out.

if you are wanting to see better team work - be a leader.

use the mic in ways you think it should be used.

speak clearly and quickly. hold the mic for .5 second longer than you might want to, but do so to make sure it goes through.

short statements like "let's get prepared to take the next node."
    or "we're losing the center node"
    or "final node is going down so get ready to attack"
    or even "we need backup at the top center node"

think like a leader and talk like a team-player. dont yell at your teammates (although i personally will say things like "folks, if you grab a manta be sure to look around for teammates who might want to ride on the wings" which is effective, especially if you say somebody's name)

in assault, the same thing applies.

at the start of assault matches if im on offense i say something like "do NOT snipe. keep rushing. guys, keep rushing and we will win. sniping wont help us." i say it kinda softly but clearly. i tend to have the highest score, so after a round folks tend to actually listen.

on defense, ill basically say things like "watch the switch, two guys coming" or "hold the middle, fall back" or whatever.

often im the only one talking, but i try to keep it to a bare minimum and keep it only essential stuff besides the little cheerleading comments i might make once in a while.

ive played a lot of assault and i think my team has lost... once.

after a while, i start to see other teammates replying or talking as well. good VoiP habits can turn a good server into a GREAT server.

try to be a role model and be respectful. use the mic in ways you would want others to use it. do NOT get into flame wars. do NOT make it a joke.

one time, i went into observer and practically started doing Q&A for folks with voice. you can explain things really quickly over voice, and folks are appreciative when first starting.

ive seen voice used in Natural Selection, Counter Strike and then in other games using ventrillo. it really allows gameplay to become something sooooo much more than it is by default.

but we dont want it to become a nightmare either.

so model good behavior, show people how to use it effectively, and keep it fun.

I like taking the role of leader with VOIP. However I really wish I could squelch certain people permanently. The other night some dork was always cursing and being a jerk on VOIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Derisor
      I like taking the role of leader with VOIP. However I really wish I could squelch certain people permanently. The other night some dork was always cursing and being a jerk on VOIP.
      You can mute people

Its on the esc menu somewhere i think, click the persons name and click mute

Unless it doesnt work in the demo, i havent actually tried it

Comment

in terms of Voice huds and controlling it, also see this thread

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...hreadid=349858

Comment

Perhaps someone can write a newbies guide to proper communications based on real-world 'rules' ?

It probably ought to include the NATO-alfabet as well as that's used to talk to bots (Alfa - Zulu ).

Perhaps even better : practices with voice-commanding the bots off-line and you'll learn to be short, clear and precise.

Comment

Why doesn't my mic work ? I can hear others but I can't speak to them

Comment

Originally posted by Derisor
              Hit Esc and bring up the menu with the list of players in each team. You can then right click on each player and choose to ignore them. You can also go to the communications tab and adjust things there as well. Hope that helps!

Comment

Working...
              X