Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI Radeon card holders please read, need advice....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATI Radeon card holders please read, need advice....

I was just curious as to if many people actually go into thier control panel for your ATI Radeon card and mess around with your D3D settings? I use the defaults on mine and have pretty decent play but was wondering if I can improve play with changing some of the settings? Any advice? My specs are below.

I have a 9800 Pro 128 on mine, my wifes is a 9500 Pro 128. Yep, I go in and turn up AA and AF. Makes things much cleaner.
    Not sure about on your system/card, play around and use the benchmark.exe to see the results.
    Then see how the game Looks and Feels.

Also for UT2k3, play with the Physics option on the details page as that can make a world of difference for fps.

Keep a little text file somewhere safe with your setting and benchmark results. Try lots of variations til you get it jus' right. It's always nice to have the file to refer to when you change something, tweak anything, or upgrade.

Comment

:haha:

Comment

Improve what?

Simple formula unless you ae some uber programmer.

Better looking= turn up detail settings like detail, AA and AF
        Better framerates= turn above down.

Comment

Thanks for the advice fellas. One other question. Say I turn on the game and then minimize it, then go into the control panel and change something in the D3D settings. Then pull the game up and play. Will that work? Or will I need to close the game completely and restart the game for the changes to take effect?

Comment

Originally posted by Hydro-shock
            Thanks for the advice fellas. One other question. Say I turn on the game and then minimize it, then go into the control panel and change something in the D3D settings. Then pull the game up and play. Will that work? Or will I need to close the game completely and restart the game for the changes to take effect?
            You don have to close the game yourself then restart it. The changes will take place.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydro-shock
              It'll work, I do it all the time with my AA settings, I switch between none, medium and high settings on certain maps in ut2k3.

Comment

there's a little 'performance' button next to AA/aniso filtering that I always click....I notice higher frames and not really any loss of detail....2xaa...

Comment

in ut2003, if i turn my D3D settings all the way up on Quality, i get 20-30 fps (full graphics in ut2003), but with it all the way down i get 70-100

it doesnt even look that much better imo when you have d3d settings all the way up, its not worth it

Comment

I max it out but have AA off and play the game like that all the time. I love making this game look good and playing that way. This is why I assembled a nice system in the first place.

Comment

Under monitor,tick "hide modes that this monitor cant display" and then select the highest refresh rate capible-hit apply
                      Under display click on the monitor tab,under attributes override your refreshrate to the highest possible(same as monitors refreshrate)-hit apply
                      If you see the monitor wiggin out be sure to turn it down
                      Under d3d its pretty self explantitory
                      to turn off aa and af click application prefference
                      I use at least 2 x aa and 16 x af-a good ati card it wont affect avg framerate that much
                      I use high quality(because ive yet to see low give any performace boost at all)
                      I use vsysnc allways on and trueform allways off

Comment

Working...
                      X