No announcement yet.

"special edition DVD? But I dont have a DVD drive!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is it that everyone doesn't have a DVD drive? For God sakes people it's the new millenium! Spend the $20 and stick one in! I'm so sick of hearing that development houses have to hold back content because they can't afford to ship a game across 6-8 CDs and not everybody has a DVD drive. If you can afford to spend $400+ for the latest in ATI or Nvidia firepower you sure as hell can drop a $20 bill on a DVD drive (I even saw an offbrand one on sale at CompUSA for $14, 14 freakin' dollars).

One of the gaming mags recently shipped a DVD ROM in place of their normal cover CD that had the full versions of a couple of very good games on it and at least 3 CDs worth of demos and preview movies and I thought "Wow! How cool". Went to their forums and it was packed with people complaining that they didn't have a DVD drive and couldn't use it! So let me get this straight asshat, you can afford to drop $9 on a magazine but you're too cheap to spend $20 on a DVD drive? WTF?

I am thrilled that UT2K4 is shipping on DVD! The more games that ship on DVD, the more people will feel compelled to buy DVD drives for their computers and the more content we'll see.

BTW, every place that I've seen the DVD edition and the regular CD edition for preorder they're the same price. I know what my $40 is going to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydro-shock
      Jeez, now that I think about it, I have a DVD rom player on my computer, but erased my powerDVD software. I wonder if my player will be able to read that disc now?????

I should have thought about that before I bought the dang thing....
      You shouldn't have a problem. You really only need PowerDVD to watch a movie. The installation of a game isn't dependent on any particular software. As for the tutorial movies, if I recall correctly, CliffyB said somewhere that they are .avi files, so you can just play them in Windows Media Player if that's all you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydro-shock
        Jeez, now that I think about it, I have a DVD rom player on my computer, but erased my powerDVD software. I wonder if my player will be able to read that disc now?????

I should have thought about that before I bought the dang thing....
        PowerDVD is just a program to watch video DVDs on.....Windows Media Player does the same....
        What you asking is basically the same as saying "Oops! I deleted winamp! Can I still play Audio CDs?"

of course you'll be able to use the DVD.

Comment

Come on...1 disk insted of 5-6 disk is teh sexy! [/B]
          NO mike that is not teh sexy

YUO ARE TEH SEXY!!! MR.SEXY!!!

Comment

Buy any pc from pc's for n00bs and it will come with a DVD drive. I don't understand the hardcore who insist on using CD-only drives despite the fact that they are all back-compatible and remove the hassle of a five cd release.

Comment

Originally posted by BesigedB
              Buy any pc from pc's for n00bs and it will come with a DVD drive. I don't understand the hardcore who insist on using CD-only drives despite the fact that they are all back-compatible and remove the hassle of a five cd release.
              Exactly. Considering that most new PCs are now coming with DVD burners I don't think it's too much to ask that people start to adopt the previous generation of technology and buy a DVD reader.

Comment

im just gona save up and buy a dvd writer.. they r only 80 quid for the cheapest and the lord knows how cheap i am.

Comment

Originally posted by BesigedB
                  But somehow people are of the mindset that it is the user's fault? It boggles the mind. It is the company's responibility to make it DVD ONLY.

Comment

I'm not going to have a dvd-rom when I give my dad my Vaio....since the dvd-rom I have now is from the vaio...Storage devices, except the hardrive are always the last on my upgrade list. I may get a dvd-rom first and then a cd-rw drive instead of the other way around.

Comment

I just hope the price won't be so high in europe, mostly the games in the states are way cheaper, we must have some greedy *** store owners here

DVD Special edition sounds ok with me btw.

Comment

I pre-ordered the DVD SE through ebgames.com as they insist that it's $39.99. That's $20 less than what I think it's supposed to be (if this slips by them, its their fault)

I also own 2003, which nets me the $10 rebate.

So... That's ~$30 in savings/rebates for me. Newegg.com has decent/good DVD drives currently for about that much, so I basically there ya go... upgrade time.

That, and I want to check out the Myst 10th anniversary which is only available on DVD, and that with Uru nets a $20 mail-in rebate to ebgames as well, so thats cool. (I know I'll be flamed for that one)

So that's the plan there, and then I can unlock bonus content on some of my movies too (the few that I have).

Besides, I'm sure UT2005 will be 2 DVDs anyways, I'm just thinking ahead here

Comment

Originally posted by Aspirine
                          I just hope the price won't be so high in europe, mostly the games in the states are way cheaper, we must have some greedy *** store owners here

DVD Special edition sounds ok with me btw.
                          True, the SE version will cost about 69.95€ here and no rebate for UT2003 owners :sour:

Comment

I preordered(paid in full) mine at my local ebgames
                            They have it listed as 39.99 for the SE version in thier computer.

Comment

It is $40, that price is correct. I just called three EBs and asked. It is $30 if you own UT2003 and you can supply proof by sending in the manual, UPC code from the box, or a copy of the receipt with the voucher that comes with the 2004 version.

Comment

Think about it this way: The SE version is $40, if you own UT2K3 then that's $10 off so $30. The Logitech headset that comes with the game costs $25 all by itself so I think that makes the SE a very good deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X