"special edition DVD? But I dont have a DVD drive!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"special edition DVD? But I dont have a DVD drive!"

OK....folks let me break this down for you. There are a lot of people out there who have pc building skills. Enough to go and grab a $400 9800xt card for the new games out.

There are other users who buy a completely new PC rig just for upcomming titles.

These people spend loads of Cash for a new game, but they fail to account for a $25 dvd rom drive.

Tell me, what is your real excuse?
    /end rant

rgr :up:

Comment

Uh. People could always buy the CD version, which is actually cheaper.

Comment

1. Most computers come with DVD drives today.

2. They could just buy the CD version (as I am, even though I have a DVD drive).

3. Even if they didn't have a DVD drive they're only like £15-20 as you say so it's not exactly breaking the bank.

Comment

Why is it that some people expect gamers to have a DVD drive.

I don't and I build my own systems. I do not do movies or anything like that. I play games. How many games are released on DVD. Maybe 2% of all titles, if that.

CD's are the standard right now. Maybe that will change in the future. They tried to make the move to DVD's two years ago and the masses rejected it.

It's funny. I subscribe to both PCGamer and Computer Gaming World. They both released a Special Edition DVD one month. The overall feedback was negative. Both mags admitted that most PC owners do not own a DVD player.

In short, that specific media has not caught on for PC users.

Comment

the way i see it, if you want the leet tutorials, which i do, youll need a dvd drive, and also, think ho wmuch slower viewing them would be if you used a cd drive and cds, and also, who wants 12+ cds for ut2k4 laying around, 6 is pushing it as it is. Get with the program and get a dvd drive IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Critter1
              CD's are the standard right now. Maybe that will change in the future.
              How's it going to change in the future if every time developers and others try to make the transition, a bunch of people with a mindset like yours pop and say "CDs are the standard right now, so stop switching to DVDs!"? If it's going to change sometime, what's wrong with it beginning to change right now?

Comment

I am considering buying a DVD drive so that I can get the SE, but I am wondering if there is any specific advatages to it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mejwell
                  How's it going to change in the future if every time developers and others try to make the transition, a bunch of people with a mindset like yours pop and say "CDs are the standard right now, so stop switching to DVDs!"? If it's going to change sometime, what's wrong with it beginning to change right now?
                  99% of software produced comes on CD's. We are not just talking about games or gamers. When the need comes from all software makers to move to DVD's then you will see the change.

It is just like the music industry. The entire industry moved from cassettes to CD's. Therefore the public made the move with them. The same cannot be said for the software industry.

Another simple fact is that DVD's cost more. And what do you get for spending that extra money, fewer discs. Big deal. Once you install a game you only need one of the discs anyways. And even that won't be for very long because most people get a crack to bypass the CD check.

It just doesn't seem like a strong arguement to make the change.

Comment

Originally posted by PlatinumX
                    I am considering buying a DVD drive so that I can get the SE, but I am wondering if there is any specific advatages to it?
                    To what ? The SE or the DVD drive ?

As for the former -- game, 150+ hrs of learning videos, headset from Logitech, stickers, the works...

As for the latter -- well, you know...

Comment

How much is the SE version gonna cost again - and will it also be cheaper for 2k3 owners?

Comment

>How much is the SE version gonna cost again - and will it also be cheaper for 2k3 owners?

SE's MSRP is 59.99 (though many sites have it for 39.99 such as EBgames).

You get the 10 dollar rebate with the SE, as you would with the regular version.

Comment

I completely agree that CD's are the standard. However certain games out there like "diablo 2" "Riven" "UT2k3" and "2k4" which have about 2-5 gigs of data on them would benifit from using a DVD as a medium.

It is true that most games fit on one disk. But think about how much more freedom a game developer could have if they where told that they didnt have to cut back on the content that gets shipped with the game because they get to put it all on a 4-9gb DVD.

A mute point would be that It's only one disk and it makes a much easier and faster install.

Come on...1 disk insted of 5-6 disk is teh sexy!

Comment

Well how about using a few hundred floppies? At some point you switch 'cause the amount of data exceeds the current technology at a convenience level of flipping multiple discs/cds/etc.

It's also much easier to start and walk away from the install, for the same reason.
                            If the SE is on what, 2 or 3 dvds, thats like 12 to 18 CDs .
                            I mean, if Dell is offering them, than EVERYBODY should have them.
                            Seriously, you can get a CD-RW/DVD combo for ~50 bucks US. You gotta back up your custom content on something, so you get both in 1 piece of hardware. Swish.

Also takes up less space in my desk drawer.

[Edit]
                            I wonder if the online sites showing it for 39.99 are dumbfused :bulb: about what they are pricing. I am afraid to order and wind up with the Non SE version.
                            [/Edit]

Comment

Jeez, now that I think about it, I have a DVD rom player on my computer, but erased my powerDVD software. I wonder if my player will be able to read that disc now?????

I should have thought about that before I bought the dang thing....

Comment

Working...
                              X