Redeemer Strategery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peregrine|BuF
    Problem is in UT2K4 I never see the deemer until it's too late.
    It was a lot easier to take out in the original UT.
    How can you miss a big-*** missile with the words "Swallow This!" etched on the side of it?

Comment

I think I've read others saying similar, but I think I've seen one taken out by a vehicle ramming into it. It was at a firefighting around a node we had captured (the enemy's first node) and the redeemer was coming in. I made a couple attempts to snipe it down, but no such luck. There was a couple of vehicles (scorpion and hellbender I think) by the node where the redeemer was going to impact and someone, not sure which team, smashed into one of them. It got knocked to the point the redeemer was heading for *just* as the redeemer was about to impact, probably about level with our characters heads, and then just... nothing.

I doubt I was the only one that paused for a couple seconds wondering why everything hadn't gone orange.

(not 100% sure if was the vehicle that destroyed it, as there was quite an intense firefight going on, so coulda been some of the spam flying about)

Comment

Best weapon to shoot it down with is the Minigun IMO. The assault rifle works too in a pinch. Haven't tried the shock, though I have shot down lots of deemers with the lightning gun (its easy when people are flying in a straight line).

As for NOT getting shot down... simple. Never assume no one can see you. Always fly that thing like its D-Day and you're running up a beach. Juke, dodge, dive - whatever it takes. Usually what I do (when im not under immediate attack) is just wave the mouse up and down. Then you can pretend you're a giant sperm of death, swimming through the air till you can find an egg to dive into . But even a small deviation in your flight can make it very hard for people to shoot you down (especially at long range).

Another thing is not to fly straight at your target. Especially in ONS, most people fire the deemer from the center tower... which is fine, but the angle down to a node is very obvious. My two favorite ways of playing things is either A) Like a bomber, or B) Like a cruise missile. If im 'bombing' with the deemer, I generally fly straight out instead of angling down. Once I think i'm over the target, then I dive steeply into the node. This works fairly well because people cant see the deemer when its at high altitude. And since most people don't stand on a node looking straight up, your chances of getting in undetected are pretty good. The problem with this is that its very easy to get lost if you don't know your distances . The other way, like a cruise missile is simple: Just hug the ground. Fly around hills, through trees (dont hit em), etc. Its much easier to navigate like this, and no one will snipe your missile down. The problem with this is that if someone DOES see you, its fairly obvious what you're doing, and unless you can fly behind some cover ASAP, they'll take you out.

Overall I think that people just get too excited when flying the deemer, and their brain shuts off or something. I know i'm guilty of it too.. grabbing a deemer and cackling to myself, with visions of Monster-Kills dancing in my head... only to fire it directly at something and then be shocked when someone shoots it down. :bulb:
        Just keep your cool (don't get greedy) when taking it out for a spin, and everything will be fine.

Comment

Yer i tend to lean towards using the LG to take out a deemer. It's especially pleasing when u spy an enemy raptor heading for the tower in Torlan, obviously meaning to take the deemer, then just zoom in a tad with the LG and w8 for the fecker to fire it off, then just zap it, right in his face :haha:

Also as was mentioned earlier by someone about being able to move about when ALT firing the deemer, the same applies to the AVRiL.... so many ppl frozen to the spot in the hills lol :up:

Comment

Yeah, usually I don't run around on the tower with the deemer (falling off sucks :bulb: ), but with AVRiLs I pretty much always strafe around a little.
            I love people who stand still to guide them though.... *HEADSHOT!*

Comment

LOL you guys are cracking me up...

"How can you miss a big-*** missile with the words "Swallow This!" etched on the side of it?"

-Well, you know, defending the middle node, no view of the sky, dead before you know it. True about skyboxes, too. They were easier to see before (but we only have one map...so jury still out).

Shock rifle was always the easiest way to kill one, until now. Don't know if it still is. The combo was big enough you just have to explode it anywhere near the nose cone.
              Killed 'em in UT with everything except goo. Sniper was especially satisfying....but nothing beat the shock combo.

Comment

Nice write-up MachDelta ! I especially liked the "visions of Monster-Kills dancing in my head" part

Comment

I've learned that the best way to keep the 'deemer from dying a premature death is to keep it low, "nap of the earth" so to speak. Some people will actually see it and start running for a second before they remember that it can be shot down. lol.

Comment

Someone shot down the redeemer I was piloting about 100 yards out using a minigun.

Comment

The redeemer is way too freakin easy to shoot down. It practically holds still it's moving so slow. You don't even have to aim to hit it just fire alot.

Heck...don't even bother shooting. By the time it hits your location, you'll have WALKED halfway across the map

Comment

I like when the person who shoots it stands on the edge of the building.

they usually go

GRRRRRRRR

LMAO

Comment

Remember you can destroy ther deemer by killing the controller and if you are the controller you dont need to launch it from the tower, i find getting closer to thje node is alot better.

anyways the only two things i task as 99% reliable when shooting down reddemers or avrils are the enrgy turrets for long range and hellbender shock chains for close. A shock combo would probably do a realy good job too but i cant do them that well.

Comment

I always fire the Redeemer straight at the ground with alt fire, hug the ground with it flying towards the side entrance (since no one ever guards it), then fly straight in and to the core. Works everytime. Also a great way to get into a base with a vehicle without anyone taking you out. Once I even drove a friggin' tank in the side, with someone manning the turret even at the entrance. It's insane how many players don't think of that entrance as a possible threat, or they're just whoring for kills by focusing on that enemy-held node during defense...

Here's a funny one for y'all: today while playing Torlan, I grabbed the Redeemer a few times and alt-fired flying around. Some idiot on my team by the name of "Blades998" (if you're on this board, you deserve to get called out bud) kept telling my team to "take out that incoming Redeemer, someone shoot it down" on VOICECHAT. Since I don't have a headset I kept alternating between spamming teamsay "That's your team's Redeemer you idiot" in console and trying to fly the thing. Took out an enemy node with it. Did it AGAIN and the same thing, he's spamming voicechat to take it out. Once again I spam and he continues to babble. I take out another enemy node with it. Now he FINALLY realizes it was someone on his **** team, and sheepishly says, "Erm, good job whoever fired that Redeemer..."

I think we need a Moron Of The Day topic here.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ_Virulent

Here's a funny one for y'all: today while playing Torlan, I grabbed the Redeemer a few times and alt-fired flying around. Some idiot on my team by the name of "Blades998" (if you're on this board, you deserve to get called out bud) kept telling my team to "take out that incoming Redeemer, someone shoot it down" on VOICECHAT. Since I don't have a headset I kept alternating between spamming teamsay "That's your team's Redeemer you idiot" in console and trying to fly the thing. Took out an enemy node with it. Did it AGAIN and the same thing, he's spamming voicechat to take it out. Once again I spam and he continues to babble. I take out another enemy node with it. Now he FINALLY realizes it was someone on his **** team, and sheepishly says, "Erm, good job whoever fired that Redeemer..."

I think we need a Moron Of The Day topic here.
                              That's some funny ****. Stuff like this is why I await the coming of the full game with a mixture of excitement and dread.

Comment

With the Redeemer, you find a place where there's lots of enemies close together, fire it at the group (at the center if possible), and run in the other direction of the missile as fast as possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X