Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ata hard drives

im about to buy a new ata 160 gig hard drive but

i dont know if my pc is compatible with ATA because someone told me they are really new

but my pc is only a year old

can someone tell me how to figure out if i will be able to use it?

Serial-ATA - new
    ATA or EIDE - normal

Comment

ATA has a really small plug, where as IDE has long plug.

Comment

Find out what main board you have go on the internet and check the specs!

Comment

ATA is the same as EIDE. What kind of mobo do you have? If it was top of the line a year ago, it could have a SATA header.

Comment

Originally posted by Arclite
            ATA has a really small plug, where as IDE has long plug.
            i think you mean s-ata has a small plug. and ata133, ata 100 etc has the long flat 80 pin connector.

Comment

Originally posted by ned-uk
              i think you mean s-ata has a small plug. and ata133, ata 100 etc has the long flat 80 pin connector.
              hmmm, my bad. I wish my PC had SATA . I was purchsing 200GB HDD the other day, saw SATA and IDE side by side. Unfortuanatly i had to go with the ancient technology .

Comment

my mother board is NForce and this is the hard drive

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...qp=0&oid=67646

Comment

If you are thinking of SATA I would recommend the Raptors from Western Digital. They are 10,000 RPM with 8 MB cache. I have one and am getting another for RAID.

Comment

Originally posted by Arclite
                    hmmm, my bad. I wish my PC had SATA . I was purchsing 200GB HDD the other day, saw SATA and IDE side by side. Unfortuanatly i had to go with the ancient technology .
                    dont worry you aint missing that much really.

Comment

Unless your computer is an intel 386 with like 8MB ram, you should be able to use that hardrive, I have the 80GB model. Most if not all motherboards that are less than 6 years old have an onboard IDE.

Sata is total ****, some sata hardrives have been known to perform no beter than an ATA100, it's new technology, hasn't been perfected....wait til Sata2 comes out....

Comment

k stop hijacking my thread and someone tell me if it is compatible with my mother board lol

Comment

Originally posted by ned-uk
                          dont worry you aint missing that much really.
                          This is true. People with ATA drives can use those nifty rounded cables. \o/

Comment

It's compatible! Nforce's have ATA controllers on them, like all mobos. Just buy it already!

Comment

Originally posted by t0x1k
                              Unless your computer is an intel 386 with like 8MB ram, you should be able to use that hardrive, I have the 80GB model. Most if not all motherboards that are less than 6 years old have an onboard IDE.
                              ok thank you

im going to buy it tomorrow and if it doesnt work im going to hunt you down but thanks :up:

Comment

Working...
                              X