Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It humbles me to say...I WAS WRONG

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    It humbles me to say...I WAS WRONG

    After yet another multi-hour, hand-numbing session of UT2k4, I must admit, I have officially warmed up to the double jump and dodge jump.

    I started playing Unreal-series games shortly after Unreal came out, in 1998. In fact I bought my first 3D accelerator card, a 3dfx Banshee because of Unreal. I had played FPS shooters like Wolf3D, Doom 1&2, Duke Nukem 3D, Rise of the Triad, Hexen and Quake 1 but other than Duke3D I hadn't found a game that clicked with me. Unreal came out and the fancy graphics attracted me to the game, but it was the gameplay, including the cutting-edge dodge feature (and alternate fire modes) that added a ton of depth to Unreal.

    This dodge feature has been so critically important to the Unreal series, that I just can't even play other games to full satisfaction unless they have dodge. I feel "trapped" playing everything else.

    So anyhow, my enjoyment of dodge made me skeptical of things like double jumping and dodge jumping. To me, it seemed silly that someone could jump twice in mid-air, or jump after a dodge. It was more like a perversion of a great feature, than two new features.

    I didn't mind wall-dodges, because heck I can do that now (and fall on my butt as a consequence) and that makes sense anyways.

    Anyhow, that was one of the largest drawbacks to UT2k3 for me. Maybe because most of the maps really weren't designed to utilize the feature well (they seemed fine for UT), and by the time the bonus packs came out, I had already lost my interest in UT2k3.

    Anyhow, the UT2k4 demo comes out, and I can't stop playing it. In fact, the DM gametype is suddenly something I can't stop playing. I spent 14 hours the first day playing the demo, and more than half of that time was just on DM-Rankin.

    All of a sudden I'm a superstar and these trick moves that I once abhored are now absolutely essential for making the most out of the map. Furthermore when I play CTF, my all time favorite gametype, there's so much room that the supermoves really give me wings (sorry Red Bull).

    Then comes Onslaught, and one of the things that makes being without a vehicle bearable, is that I can travel a certain distance with dodge jumps now that would ordinarily be screwed without.

    Anyhow, I thought I'd NEVER say this, but double jumps and dodge jumps are just fine for me now. It's no longer an issue that has put me off to the direction the Unreal Tournament series is heading for. Everything else for UT2k4 has clicked, the weapons, the announcements, the HUD and crosshairs, even the perspective. My last reservation in the UT series, two supermoves, has now been squashed.

    So for those of you who held fast to the idea of those supermoves, you were right and I was wrong. It just took me a year to realize it.

    #2
    youve joined the dark side

    and, youd be raped in AS without some trick jumping against good people.

    Comment


      #3
      I'm going to go buy Satan a winter coat now, feel bad for him.

      Comment


        #4
        Hehe, I'll tell you one thing: This forum is a lot more fun now that UT2K4 came out. It sure is a nice change of pace to read posts like Ultron's instead of constant UT2K3 bashing. :up:

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by -=¤willhaven¤=-
          youve joined the dark side

          and, youd be raped in AS without some trick jumping against good people.
          I joined the Dark Side No more than... actually

          There was no thought... I just hopped in.

          Comment


            #6
            ONSlaught is raping my mind... like herion.

            more ONS... must.. have... .. must have ......... more .. ONS.

            Comment


              #7
              Ultron, question: Did XMP help?

              Cuz thats what converted me to the new jumping. I miss being able to leap 30 feet across a field and then clear a 2 story building. Felt like Superman in XMP . By contrast, the 03 stuff is waaay tame, so it kinda grew on me.

              Funny that

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by -=¤willhaven¤=-
                youve joined the dark side

                and, youd be raped in AS without some trick jumping against good people.
                Anything to help a poor robot out.

                Originally posted by MachDelta
                Ultron, question: Did XMP help? Cuz thats what converted me to the new jumping. I miss being able to leap 30 feet across a field and then clear a 2 story building. Felt like Superman in XMP . By contrast, the 03 stuff is waaay tame, so it kinda grew on me. Funny that
                Actually, you might be right there. I bet that's a factor, too. I hadn't warmed up to it in XMP either, when they first introduced the jumpjets. I even made posts arguing against it there. But I had to concede the movements made sense with jumpjets, so I got into the habit of doing those moves there.

                And now that you mention it, I HAVE been accidentally trying to sprint in 2k4 now, but hitting that button switches me to the Shieldgun.

                Comment


                  #9
                  low grav - fast speed and aircontrol>supermoves
                  I can see where it helps with regular settings tho
                  just MO

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: It humbles me to say...I WAS WRONG

                    Originally posted by Ultron
                    After yet another multi-hour, hand-numbing session of UT2k4, I must admit, I have officially warmed up to the double jump and dodge jump.

                    I started playing Unreal-series games shortly after Unreal came out, in 1998. In fact I bought my first 3D accelerator card, a 3dfx Banshee because of Unreal. I had played FPS shooters like Wolf3D, Doom 1&2, Duke Nukem 3D, Rise of the Triad, Hexen and Quake 1 but other than Duke3D I hadn't found a game that clicked with me. Unreal came out and the fancy graphics attracted me to the game, but it was the gameplay, including the cutting-edge dodge feature (and alternate fire modes) that added a ton of depth to Unreal.

                    This dodge feature has been so critically important to the Unreal series, that I just can't even play other games to full satisfaction unless they have dodge. I feel "trapped" playing everything else.

                    So anyhow, my enjoyment of dodge made me skeptical of things like double jumping and dodge jumping. To me, it seemed silly that someone could jump twice in mid-air, or jump after a dodge. It was more like a perversion of a great feature, than two new features.

                    I didn't mind wall-dodges, because heck I can do that now (and fall on my butt as a consequence) and that makes sense anyways.

                    Anyhow, that was one of the largest drawbacks to UT2k3 for me. Maybe because most of the maps really weren't designed to utilize the feature well (they seemed fine for UT), and by the time the bonus packs came out, I had already lost my interest in UT2k3.

                    Anyhow, the UT2k4 demo comes out, and I can't stop playing it. In fact, the DM gametype is suddenly something I can't stop playing. I spent 14 hours the first day playing the demo, and more than half of that time was just on DM-Rankin.

                    All of a sudden I'm a superstar and these trick moves that I once abhored are now absolutely essential for making the most out of the map. Furthermore when I play CTF, my all time favorite gametype, there's so much room that the supermoves really give me wings (sorry Red Bull).

                    Then comes Onslaught, and one of the things that makes being without a vehicle bearable, is that I can travel a certain distance with dodge jumps now that would ordinarily be screwed without.

                    Anyhow, I thought I'd NEVER say this, but double jumps and dodge jumps are just fine for me now. It's no longer an issue that has put me off to the direction the Unreal Tournament series is heading for. Everything else for UT2k4 has clicked, the weapons, the announcements, the HUD and crosshairs, even the perspective. My last reservation in the UT series, two supermoves, has now been squashed.

                    So for those of you who held fast to the idea of those supermoves, you were right and I was wrong. It just took me a year to realize it.

                    Now you know what you missed in ut2003,its a great game too.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Hehe, I knew it! XMP jumping > UT2003 Jumping

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I had to bind the sprint key to my most used weapon, if not, im dead

                        Also some times, I jump from a cliff and try to start my jets


                        and the worst is when I say "A JUGGERNAUT IS COMMING!!!!!!!!!!"

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Tho maps lack of secret areas/passages....:cry:

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Re: It humbles me to say...I WAS WRONG

                            Originally posted by Soul Assasin
                            Now you know what you missed in ut2003,its a great game too.
                            Well if I had warmed up to the supermoves that would have helped, but I still didn't like the attitude or direction UT2k3 went in other areas, such as what they did to the weapons, many of the stock maps, the music, etc.

                            I did play UT2k3 for a few months out of the year, but I didn't enjoy the game that much after the novelty period wore off. I don't even think the absence of the supermoves in that game would have made much of a difference.

                            But I do agree with you that I'd probably have enjoyed it more if I didn't have the hangup against supermoves.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I never really saw doublejumping as too unrealistic. I imagine it as just a bigger jump (kinda like holding the jump key instead of tapping it on older games). On some models, a regular jump is.. well a jump, but the secondary jump throws them into a summersault without looking like they are magically shot into the air. Works great imo.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X