**Framerate Versus Refresh**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

**Framerate Versus Refresh**

Yes, i sit on the throne as King of noobs, bow before me.

Q: Does the framerate of the game depend or is limited by the refresh rate of your monitor/videocard? I have my PC st at 60hz Refresh rate and the best fps i've seen with the bench test is 97, of course it was running in 640x480 i think. My system specs are as follows:

P4 2.4 Ghz
    512 MB PC 133 ram ( Yes, i belive that is a bottleneck on the cpu)
    300gb 7200RPM Drive
    ATI Radeon 9800 SE @ 360/249( Oc the clock / left the ram speed)

Reason i ask is there is a thread here where people are usign the bench and constantly getting 120-200fps, i should be able to push this even with 133 sdram?

it depends. if you have vsync on, it will cap at the refresh rate. so, if you have your monitor at 60hz, you will get a maximum of 60 fps

Comment

The benchmark automatically disables vsync btw.

Comment

Vsync is off: With that being said, the framerate wont be capped or limited with a 60hz refreshrate?

Comment

nope

Comment

Ok, kool. And running that pc133 ram on a p4 processor, what kind of FPS gain do you think i would get from upgrading to some DDR memory (whichi have slots for).

Comment

Framerate is capped online at 85 though, due to some sync-to-server netcode optimization.

/Kronon

Comment

Originally posted by terrific
                Ok, kool. And running that pc133 ram on a p4 processor, what kind of FPS gain do you think i would get from upgrading to some DDR memory (whichi have slots for).
                Honestly? not much. An increase in memory bandwidth without increasing the base memory/bus clock will not show much imporovement at all. Unless you can sucker a bud into paying for your pc133 its not worth the money to shelf the old ram to buy new DDR.

Comment

Something to keep in mind however is that vsync should only be turned off when you want to benchmark. Vsync syncronizes the frames being drawn to the screen with the refresh rate of your monitor. With vsync on it will wait for one screen to be drawn to the screen before rendering the next, with vsync off it will start rendering the next frame before the last one was even finished drawing to the screen, which causes what is called tearing... you see part of two or more frames on the screen at the same time.

What it boils down to is that your monitor is the limiting factor. When you render faster than your monitor can display, you actually lose visual quality. Vsync slows down your video card only to the exact fastest rate at which your monitor can display.

Comment

Nice one, thanks for the explanation, i'll step off the newb throne now. Thanks guys.

Comment

No matter what your in game fps says,its limited by your monitors refreshrate,vsync or not.
                      60hz monitor-120 fps,the monitors only going to display 60 fps
                      youd be better off turning your refreshrate up (not over what the monitor supports of course)
                      I have mine set to 85 hz with vsync on,this is the best way to have it set up
                      highest refreshrate with vsync enabled

60 hz is bad for your eyes and can cause headaches and eyeaches

http://home.comcast.net/~oo7mike/Article04Vsync.htm

Comment

Originally posted by .:i:.

60 hz is bad for your eyes and can cause headaches and eyeaches
                        bs

Comment

no its true
                          please belive meh:cry:
                          Im taking college courses with about 40 - 60hz monitors all around
                          I have mine @ 75 hz
                          just glancing at the other monitors hurts my eyes
                          esp after a long period of time

Comment

At work all the monitors run between 60-75hz. My eyes get tired much sooner than on my home computer which runs at 100. I even tried a lower refresh in exchange for high res for a while but with the same affect. The lower it gets, the harder it is on my eyes.

Comment

Working...
                            X