No announcement yet.

Why was UT good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a matter of opinion, I personally don't like it to much but I never liked vehicles, now suddenly I like them. People get hooked on one game and want another to be the exact same (just look different) so they keep their skill. I think in some way's having translocators is a good idea, and I will get to like the CTF the more I play it.

Comment

The maps for unreal tournament 99 were much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much better than those in 2k3. Especially in CTF. The basic CTF gameplay was also a cut above 2k3's, so that contributed as well.

We have yet to see how 2k4's CTF will stack up to UT's... Bridge of Fate isn't the best level, but its definitely an improvement over 2k3's.

Comment

Originally posted by Main
        The maps for unreal tournament 99 were much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much better than those in 2k3. Especially in CTF. The basic CTF gameplay was also a cut above 2k3's, so that contributed as well.

We have yet to see how 2k4's CTF will stack up to UT's... Bridge of Fate isn't the best level.
        I agree agree agree agree agree agree agree agree agree!

UT99 Maps were wiked! UT2k3 maps were not as good!

I think epic learned their lesson!

Comment

Originally posted by LittleFlower
          Huh ? Are we talking about the same map ? The *CTF* map I see in the demo is called "BridgeOfFate". How could have that been a CTF map turned into BR map, if it is CTF now ?
          Because both CTF-BridgeOfFate and BR-BridgeOfFate are included in the full game.

But you are right, BR-BOFate was first. Same with BR/CTF-Colossus.

Comment

Although I have defended UT2003 a lot last year, looking back, I too have to admit that the maps in UT were better.

Then there's that whole thing with the extreme movement which ****ed up the scale. But I'm just used to it now, and when I go back to UT it's pretty dull.

Comment

Map's are important obviously, but you can make new maps and have better ones. UT2k4 still feels similar to ut2k3 in some ways, UT did not feel similar to any game, it was totally new.

Comment

Originally posted by .:i:.
                ...no trans - makes everybody just trans to the flag ~no head to head ~ makes defense useless...
                You can't be serious...

The TL was what MADE UT's CTF what it was! You could run down the flag carrier at any point, and if you had the flag you couldn't rest for a minute because of the TL.

The TL is STILL nerfed in UT2004. I can't believe it. I only play CTF, and a nerfed translocator is unacceptable - let alone no translocator.

Jesus Christ and a half. If this is the type of advice Epic has been listening to, then no wonder I don't like UT2004.

Comment

some of my fondest memories of UT were CTF-face. not that all maps should be like face, but face was a classic. if you had 2 well matched teams, the match would go on for an hour or more. the game time only lasted 20 min, but the overtime was incredibly long. i dont know how many times i had a near 200 point score without any caps from just defending and roaming around midfield. it was SO hard to make a cap because people wth a TL could come back and headshot you as youre walking in the door, and manage to hold off the flag until someone else with a TL could get to it. the other team didnt have a chance. killing someone with a TL was simple with the sniper, just follow the light and shoot when it disappears. or shoot before the person translocates. they dont have a weapon, unless theyre within trans range. a truly unbeatable experience. Ut200x doesnt hold a candle to that kind of ctf action. at least with 2004 the LG works, and headshots are actually AT the head, and not slightly above it.

but i really do enjoy ONS. nothing beats packing 32 players and bots into that map. while on foot, shooting down the raptor while a defunct hellbender flies over your head and explodes behind you. dodging countless link and pulse shots, not even sure how the hell youre managing to walk another step, and all your mind is thinking about is making the next headshot. its your only hope. *sigh* i think i need to play the demo now..

Comment

On the map issue, hell yes UT maps were better.
                    That's why custom maps in ut2k3 is plenty of fun

Comment

Originally posted by fu_fu
                      The TL is STILL nerfed in UT2004. I can't believe it. I only play CTF, and a nerfed translocator is unacceptable - let alone no translocator.
                      The infinite wisdom of a transwhore. They took it down a notch because retards were abusing it. That's what happens when you give something good to people, they abuse it and you have to take it away.

Comment

Originally posted by d3fc0n
                        there is one very simple reason why ut is so good.

get rid of adrenaline, u should have to fight to win a match.
                        you can do that with the retail version hell you could even make every weapon insta gib if you want or even remove movement! so that everyone will be sniper food like in ut!

Comment

Originally posted by Dark_Spectre
                          The infinite wisdom of a transwhore. They took it down a notch because retards were abusing it. That's what happens when you give something good to people, they abuse it and you have to take it away.
                          Dumbest thing I've ever heard, lol.

Comment

OK, i dont care if i get bashed for waht im about to say but.....

UT> UT2004 (demo anyway) > UT2003

UT had defintely the most fun maps to play in, especially the CTF ones. I don't know any map that is more fun then CTF-Gauntlet and CTF-EternalCaves in any game ever. They really were the foundations for it. There were very few 'average' DM maps either. Assault was awesome 1st time round, but died a painful death, along with domination.

Plus also, UT2003/4 scale is just not right. In UT, action was personal...you seemed like as if you were fragging a real person rather than dots just a few metres awayi hate to keep banging on about this, but thats the simple truth. UT2003 was consoley, UT2004 is more grown up from what i have seen, UT was adult. You may get kiddies playing it, but the whole atmosphere was adult themed, and the gameplay was in the same league. UT2003 introduced Mario style gameplay with ridiculous double-jumps everywhere. They have been toned down a lot in UT2004, which I think is the best compromise.

But back 2 my original point...the 2 main things that made UT a classic were the maps PLAYABILITY and the general feel and scale of the game.

And the skins were not something out of a circus act either

Comment

Working...
                            X