Why was UT good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why was UT good

Im just wondering what made UT really good. I played it a little bit on lan games in our school, it seemed okay. I also played ut 2003, and that was great but i do admit it got boring after a while. I have to say UT 2004 is the best so far. So tell me why people are still sticking to UT

same reason my girlfriend still plays sof2

she wins sometimes:haha:

Comment

ut is 100 times more fun than ut2k3.
      ut2k4 is 5 billion x 10³ more fun then UT

why they stay with UT then ut2k4?? i would guess they either dont want to buy new hardware or a new game or something, cause i just can't figure it out.

Comment

there is one very simple reason why ut is so good.

get rid of adrenaline, u should have to fight to win a match.

Comment

Originally posted by Imperial17
          ut is 100 times more fun than ut2k3.
          ut2k4 is 5 billion x 10³ more fun then UT

why they stay with UT then ut2k4?? i would guess they either dont want to buy new hardware or a new game or something, cause i just can't figure it out.
          probbley due to hardware and also they can warez it.

UT2004 is great fun, if you get bored of playing CTF or DM, you just play ONS, and when you get bored of ONS, you play CTF or DM again, or even AS

so much choice

Comment

Originally posted by Happy_Hamburger
            probbley due to hardware and also they can warez it.
            yeah, good point.

Comment

Originally posted by d3fc0n
              there is one very simple reason why ut is so good.

get rid of adrenaline, u should have to fight to win a match.
              *Runs around grabbing adren*

"BOOSTER"
              *30 seconds later*
              Hmm...still in last place

"BERZERK!"

"20 seconds later*
              "****! Still in last place"

"INVISIBLE"

*30 seconds later*
              "DANGIT! STILL in last place!!!

"SPEEED"
              *Runs around like maniac*
              "SHOOT! I'm STILL in last place!"

*Gets mad, stomps feet, *****es, goes back to UT99*

OK, idle curiosity, but how does adrenalin keep you from having to fight?

Comment

Originally posted by A2597

"BOOSTER"
                *30 seconds later*
                Hmm...still in last place

"BERZERK!"

"20 seconds later*
                "****! Still in last place"

"INVISIBLE"

*30 seconds later*
                "DANGIT! STILL in last place!!!

"SPEEED"
                *Runs around like maniac*
                "SHOOT! I'm STILL in last place!"

*Gets mad, stomps feet, *****es, goes back to UT99*

OK, idle curiosity, but how does adrenalin keep you from having to fight?
                what is this "idle curiosity" you speak of?

Comment

UT is just a whole other game...

this is like asking why people play more counterstrike over quake

Comment

1. Sniper rifle, it gave everyone a chance to take a break from the hectic pace of "run and gun" for awhile and use a slower paced game of "camp and shoot"

2. I believe right now UT2004 has too many movement keys, for example, boost dodge,jump, etc. In UT99 we had fewer movement keys to master, so instead of tapping keys on our keyboard like a madman, for hours on end, we had fewer keys to tap in UT99, which made a difference.

3. This is a biggie, all the weapons were *over-powered* and fun to use. NONE of them were weak, so anyone could pick up any weapon and simply get a frag with it. And they were *FUN* to use

4. There was no andrenaline in UT99, which made all the difference in CTF games.

Comment

4. There was no andrenaline in UT99, which made all the difference in CTF games

unless you used the relics. those were pretty fun, except you ended up spending half the game fighting for them, lol. still fun:up:

Comment

UT IS STILL NUMBER ONE!!! (ut 2004 is close)

UT 2003 just sucked. :/ imho:cry:

Comment

Originally posted by -=SmileY=-
                          UT is just a whole other game...

this is like asking why people play more counterstrike over quake
                          Nice philosophy, my friend.

Comment

Before UT was released, most online games were about DeathMatch only. UT was the first to focus on teamgames, especially CTF. CTF is what made UT big.

There are several things that made CTF a great mod. I wanted to write down my thoughts on the issue, but haven't had the time. Let me try to summarize:

1) it is a teamgame. no matter how good you are, if you feel you are contributing to your team, you can feel good. Regardless of skill. Even if there are good and new players on the same server, as long as teams are balanced, they can all have fun. In pure DM, if you are not good, you will not feel any satisfaction. In TDM, if you are not good, you can get killed too often, and the enemy might focus on killing only the weaker opponents. CTF is more fun.
                            2) everyone can get started in CTF. if you are totally new, you just stay inside your own base, and try to survive. if you get a little better, you can do some flagcamping. that is usually frowned upon, but newbies are forgiven. later you can play full defense, or even midfield. if you get better, you can start attacking. if you are very good, you can go do flagruns and have a great impact on the match. excitement for everyone. you need 2 good players per team (1 offense and 1 defense), and the rest can be of any skill level
                            3) indoor maps and outdoor maps. defense or offense. loads of different weapons. sneaky or blasting guns. lots of different styles possible. lots of different tactics can be used. you can keep improving over time. Compare this to DM. there all focus is on fragging, it gets more boring easily. also maps have less impact on gameplay.

IMHO there were 2 things that made UT CTF great. The translocator and the maps.

The translocator has a huge impact on the game. CTF is largely about positioning. Less about fragging. Even an average player like myself, when I learned to use the xloc, I could compete high-skilled games. The xloc made sure that defenders have 2 or 3 chances to retrieve a flag. Even when a FC is almost home, he is still in danger. In UT2003, once you made it to midfield, you had huge chances of capping. The xloc makes you feel less helpless, because you can go everywhere really fast. UT2003 was frustrating, because after I got fragged once, I was sure that I would not be able to catch up a speedy dodging and boostdodging flagcarrier. Boostdodging and adreneline made this worse.

The CTF maps in UT were much higher quality than in UT2003. Maps had more routes, better chokepoints, PU placement around midfield (which is good for attackets), more z-axis play, you could do more stuff to surprise your enemies. In UT2003, if you look at Maul, Chrome or even Citadel, you will see that those maps are very very simple. November, Coret, LavaGiant, Orbital, etc where just brilliant maps. Even though their limitations and flaws are known, they still play well after all those years. These might have been flukes, as UT2003 CTF maps were ****.

And the UT2004 demo map shows that Epic still hasn't learned. The Bridge map was originally a BR map, converted to CTF. It shows. Generally speaking the map is OK and playable. But I am not happy about midfield. ****ing hate that simple layout of 3 bridges. (I hate Citadel, see http://www.xs4all.nl/~hhwsmit/ut/citadel.txt). The stairs up to the left and right bridges are too narrow and open for spam. But the worst thing is that the shortest route to run is a straigth line from flag to flag. This does not help defenders catch up with an escaping flagcarrier. The escape routes should take longer than the quickest route you can take with a xloc. Unfortunately that is not the case.

Anyway, I hope ONS is gonna last longer than BR.

Comment

UT2k4 isn't THAT much different than UT2k3. It has a lot added ONTO it, but the core is still very similar. I really like UT2k3, despite the cheesy double jump. Of course the flips they do, the rocket-looking thingys on the Juggernauts, they do qualify the move somewhat...

You want to know what really got me into UT? It wasn't really the gameplay, it was the story behind it and the characters. The universe itself was very interesting. Assault actually helped a lot in fleshing it out. Perhaps this is a reason why people didn't like UT2k3 as much, because the universe has a less gritty feel to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X