Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[!] [GUIDE] [!] The (un)OFFICIAL Better Performance and Gameplay Guide! - By DDRRE.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by vogel
    Don't change CacheSizeMegs - this is just a badly named variable and any value > 16-32 MByte is just a waste of memory.

ReduceMouseLag can have a big difference on framerate with the OpenGL renderer - it's worth fiddling with that one.

-- Daniel, Epic Games Inc.
    OMG Daniel Vogel - the allmighty OpenGL programmer of UT - In my post!!

And BTW Daniel why not say a word of appreciation for my work :P

Oh and btw #2 - your enhanced OpenGL renderer is for the old UT is @ www.uttweaks.tk in the OpenGL Rendering thread (http://members.lycos.co.uk/utsc/)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by vogel
    Don't change CacheSizeMegs - this is just a badly named variable and any value > 16-32 MByte is just a waste of memory.

ReduceMouseLag can have a big difference on framerate with the OpenGL renderer - it's worth fiddling with that one.

Thats why I bought 768MB DDR!

*Continues wasting 256MB*

Leave a comment:

• replied
    OK, now I get weirdness with my textures.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    XP2600/512pc2700/GF4Ti4200/gentoo gaming sources/1024x768x32/every option except physics maxed out...

Only time my fps ever drops below 60-70fps in ONS is if I add 31 bots to the map... that brings it down to as low as 20 in places.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well thanks for the Tips ,ill try them out :up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MechaFubs
    Anything for better FPS, but I disagree with some of the stuff here.

Turning off everything is sometimes a bad idea. I find that tri-linear both looks better AND runs at a higher FPS, so I keep that on.

Other options may drop FPS by 2-3, but some other visual option will be well worth the effort.
    I believe you're confusing Tri-Linear filtering with Triple Buffering (just a thought, I'm no expert :P)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Anything for better FPS, but I disagree with some of the stuff here.

Turning off everything is sometimes a bad idea. I find that tri-linear both looks better AND runs at a higher FPS, so I keep that on.

Other options may drop FPS by 2-3, but some other visual option will be well worth the effort.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: Re: Re: Re: [!] [GUIDE] [!] The (un)OFFICIAL Better Performance and Gameplay Guide! -

Originally posted by Impy
    PurgeCacheDays=30

So this cache is only cleared every 30days.... if what I am saying is incorrect please explain that setting and these

CachePath=../Cache
    CacheExt=.uxx
    CacheRecordPath=../System/*.ucl

which related to where your custom content is stored....

Impy
    There are 2 types of caches (<--- Does that word exist?? O_o).
    1. Download file cache - has nothing to do with your PC's performance. It is only used for maps and the 'cache' word is caching of making you enter servers faster (not downloading maps, mutators etc.) it's useless in the demo.
    2. System, Texture and Map cache - this cache makes loading times faster. Compare it to the Windows-based precache, or old file cache of Windows. It's about the same. It works.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: Re: Re: [!] [GUIDE] [!] The (un)OFFICIAL Better Performance and Gameplay Guide! -

*edited*
    Impy

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: Re: [!] [GUIDE] [!] The (un)OFFICIAL Better Performance and Gameplay Guide! - By DDRR

Originally posted by Impy
    That is a common misconception of the UT200X ini. The cache size here relates to the size of the cache folder thats stores items you dsownload off the server. Like custom maps and stuff. You wont have one yet in the UT2k4 demo as there is no custom content but if you chekc your 2k3 install you will.

Setting this just changes the size to which that folder can grow....it wont help performance. But apart from that its a nice guide for newbies :up: :up:

Impy
    Dude, you're incorrect. The CacheSizeMegs is for Precaching. UT has a default cachesizemegs of 4. Do you really think that Epic would be dumb enough to let you store only 4MB of cache? the CacheSizeMegs is for precaching and helps loading times. After changing it to a bigger number the first times you will enter a level will be slow but after a day of playing UT2004 with the cache tweak the loading will be much slower.

And thanks for the support Impy. This guide is for non-newbies like you also.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: [!] [GUIDE] [!] The (un)OFFICIAL Better Performance and Gameplay Guide! - By DDRR

Originally posted by DDRRE
    What's up?
    Some basic things you need to know.

LEVEL 4 - CacheSizeMegs - FASTER LOADING

Edit the file System\UT2004.ini

And Change:
    "
    [Engine.GameEngine]
    CacheSizeMegs=32
    "

To:
    "
    [Engine.GameEngine]
    CacheSizeMegs=64
    "
    Also try doing 66% of your physical memory. Sometimes 64 is better, but sometimes the game will lag less if you set it to 66% of your physical memory (if you have 256MB's, for example, and you want to try the 66% settings, change the 32 to 169 and try running the game.)

(C) DDRRE, 2004

That is a common misconception of the UT200X ini. The cache size here relates to the size of the cache folder thats stores items you dsownload off the server. Like custom maps and stuff. You wont have one yet in the UT2k4 demo as there is no custom content but if you chekc your 2k3 install you will.

Setting this just changes the size to which that folder can grow....it wont help performance. But apart from that its a nice guide for newbies :up: :up:

Impy

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I love you.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well this isn't exactly a dead forum... I just don't want my thread going to page #200 because no one saw it

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Of coarse we care. I'm at work right now. Printed the message and will try the tweaks tonight.
    You posted early in the morning. Give it some time and others will respond.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X