Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[!] [GUIDE] [!] The (un)OFFICIAL Better Performance and Gameplay Guide! - By DDRRE.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by : DX :-THeGAME
    If thats true, why does the game load faster, the menus load and run through faster, and the game performes better when I change it to 128?
    <guess>Because the second time you ran it everything was already in the Windows disk caches?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DDRRE
    As I said, this thread went again to page no. 2..... Putting it back @ front!
    MAKE THIS THREAD A STICKY ONE PLZ :cry: :cry: :cry:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    As I said, this thread went again to page no. 2..... Putting it back @ front!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by vogel
    Don't change CacheSizeMegs - this is just a badly named variable and any value > 16-32 MByte is just a waste of memory.

-- Daniel, Epic Games Inc.
    If thats true, why does the game load faster, the menus load and run through faster, and the game performes better when I change it to 128?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by -=SmileY=-
    Heres a little addition that is very important:

lets assume your refresh rate of the monitor is set to 85.

if your framerate in UT2k3 is higher then that, you might see something that we call as skipping frames.. this will cause instability in your screen and performance. There are several ways to deal with this.

I'm talking about playing online here.

ok, first of all, have you ever tried to play a game of instant action and noticed that the framerate in the "waiting to start" screen was much "smoother" (note: not higher) then when playing online? this is all due to the netspeed.

netspeed 5300 resembles a refresh rate of 85 thus it becomes your maximum amount of FPS. fear not, might seem low for some people, but trust me, its the right setting. try it!

The netspeed decides how much data you want to send to the server each second. A netspeed of 5000 will try to send 5000 bytes of data each second. Your maximum expected framerate online with netspeed 5000 is 5000/64 = 78fps. You should not get more, you will often get less. So why /64 you ask? Well, it's kinda simple. Each time your computer does an update, it sends about 64 bytes of data. So the great doods at epic thought, let's do netspeed/64 and limit framerate that way, so the client does not exceed netspeed bytes sent per second.
    Well buddy 10x for the advice but I'll need to make sure that is correct by some facts. How come when I pick ADSL from the menu it adjusts it to the connection and not to the monitor? I'll try this out. I use 100hz at 1024x768

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Heres a little addition that is very important:

lets assume your refresh rate of the monitor is set to 85.

if your framerate in UT2k3 is higher then that, you might see something that we call as skipping frames.. this will cause instability in your screen and performance. There are several ways to deal with this.

I'm talking about playing online here.

ok, first of all, have you ever tried to play a game of instant action and noticed that the framerate in the "waiting to start" screen was much "smoother" (note: not higher) then when playing online? this is all due to the netspeed.

netspeed 5300 resembles a refresh rate of 85 thus it becomes your maximum amount of FPS. fear not, might seem low for some people, but trust me, its the right setting. try it!

The netspeed decides how much data you want to send to the server each second. A netspeed of 5000 will try to send 5000 bytes of data each second. Your maximum expected framerate online with netspeed 5000 is 5000/64 = 78fps. You should not get more, you will often get less. So why /64 you ask? Well, it's kinda simple. Each time your computer does an update, it sends about 64 bytes of data. So the great doods at epic thought, let's do netspeed/64 and limit framerate that way, so the client does not exceed netspeed bytes sent per second.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by vogel
    Hehe, thanks for the efforts though I can't endorse it as I don't want to have to test your changes ;-)

MaxTextureUnits should be kept at its default value of 8 and you want to set UseVBO to false as current drivers don't have that codepath optimized yet (accidentaly forgot to change that for the demo). You should probably set VARSize to 64 or 96 if you have a 256 MByte NVIDIA card.

Use16bitTextures should be false and you should also disable speech recognition if you don't plan on using it.

Well the Use16bitTextures is pretty useful for more FPS, I'll add your tips to the guide, thanks D.V. !! Nice to know the developers give a **** about us

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Kill_For_Fun
    If you turn off the "Show Decals", wouldnt alot of cool details in the game dissappear?
    If I'm not mistaken, decals are the blast marks left by weapons on textures. Decalstay setting changes how long they stick around. Think of it as the equivilent to skid marks in a racing game.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    that flickery texture problem shows up with 16bit on. use 32bit to fix it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If you turn off the "Show Decals", wouldnt alot of cool details in the game dissappear?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hehe, thanks for the efforts though I can't endorse it as I don't want to have to test your changes ;-)

MaxTextureUnits should be kept at its default value of 8 and you want to set UseVBO to false as current drivers don't have that codepath optimized yet (accidentaly forgot to change that for the demo). You should probably set VARSize to 64 or 96 if you have a 256 MByte NVIDIA card.

Use16bitTextures should be false and you should also disable speech recognition if you don't plan on using it.

Originally posted by DDRRE
    And BTW Daniel why not say a word of appreciation for my work :P

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Jewtron
    OK, now I get weirdness with my textures.

http://bleh.clan-geniuz.com/ut2004blah.jpg
    I had that all the time in UT2003. Never found a fix. It works perfectly fine in T3h D3M0 for me, though

DDRE: You now have both ReduceMouseLag=true and ReduceMouseLag=false on your list

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It literally won't be used at all. I should probably change the name to WastedMemorySize

Originally posted by A2597
    Thats why I bought 768MB DDR!

*Continues wasting 256MB*

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i leave all at high details.... i want the eye candy! and my gameplay has been good too... the _small_ difference you might gain won't be worth the tradeoff if you have an even half way decent system. I'd only change it if you were having noticeable performance issues

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Jewtron, That wierdness has to do with the low z-buffer depth that acompanies the 16-bit color mode. Am I right?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X