Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[!] [GUIDE] [!] The (un)OFFICIAL Better Performance and Gameplay Guide! - By DDRRE.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I'll see if I can do something about Triple Buffering...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    When i still played UT, back in the day, and got rid of my Voodoo3 3000 in favor of a GeForce2 GTS, (only because 3dfx was bought out, and i knew Glide would be phased out) i noticed 16-bit color sucked and gave me graphical errors. (and 32 bit was slow on UT with Nvidia cards).

So, i turned to a friend who said to turn off that evil W-Buffer in the DX settings of RivaTuner (or whatever utility you are using).
    Lo and behold, it got rid of the funky texture issues associated with 16bit color.

Not sure if this works with the newer Uengines, but it's worth a shot i suppose.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by -=SmileY=-
    The netspeed shouldnt be higher depending on if your PC can handle it tho... this little trick is pure for getting smooth gameplay (and is mostly handy/noticable when your monitor has 85 Hz or more)

for example, for netspeed 20000 users.. I quote the mighty TNSe:

"let me just inform you that your hardware probably can't hold an even 20000/64 = 312fps average during an entire match anyway. Another bottleneck here, is your internet connection. If you got a state-of-the-art 9600 modem, it can only send and receive 9600/8 = 1200 bytes/second anyway, and what happens if you exceed that limit, is that data must wait before it can be transmitted to/from you. This causes the wellknown "ping spike". So use netspeed to make sure your connection does not get overloaded and "spiked". If the spikes last too long, you might even get packetloss, since the packets get ****** off waiting in queues and kill themselves."

basically EVERYONE with 85Hz monitors should use netspeed 5400 / 5300 / 5500
    maybe you are lucky enough and your monitor can handle more then 85Hz.. in that case you can do the calculation thingy I posted before, to see what netspeed matches your computer

I hope this helps you
    Smiley, your tip was added. No need to post the method.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Ultron
    I'd rather set my netspeed to 7k manually while I'm on broadband, regardless of the FPS implications. Why? Because I force vsync on. If you run at netspeed 5k or 10k or 20k on broadband, it won't matter, even on slower PC's except that below 5K you'll rapidly see your FPS max decrease. There's no reason to do that. Just enable Vsync and make sure the netspeed is above 5k. The most you'll download is going to be about 7-8k.

Screen-tearing sucks, and even if you gain a frame or two by turning it off, it's not worth it.

The three most CPU intensive things you can disable, without sacrificing visual quality, is detail textures, trilinear filter, and triple buffering. That's alot of extra RAM that is freed up.

And trust me, both TF and TB improve visual quality.

If you're on a modem, leave the netspeed between 2600 and 3200 or else you could fall victim to the creeping ping problem of old.

BTW good guide, it should help out people with lowend system, although I'd still make them use 32-bit color but follow the rest of your instructions. I'd also have them use D3D actually but your guide is still pretty good.
    Dude, there's no TB in ut2k4, well, not a selectable one. TB makes gaming smoother, while TF makes the textures look smoother. Performance vs. quality..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'd rather set my netspeed to 7k manually while I'm on broadband, regardless of the FPS implications. Why? Because I force vsync on. If you run at netspeed 5k or 10k or 20k on broadband, it won't matter, even on slower PC's except that below 5K you'll rapidly see your FPS max decrease. There's no reason to do that. Just enable Vsync and make sure the netspeed is above 5k. The most you'll download is going to be about 7-8k.

Screen-tearing sucks, and even if you gain a frame or two by turning it off, it's not worth it.

The three most CPU intensive things you can disable, without sacrificing visual quality, is detail textures, trilinear filter, and triple buffering. That's alot of extra RAM that is freed up.

And trust me, both TF and TB improve visual quality.

If you're on a modem, leave the netspeed between 2600 and 3200 or else you could fall victim to the creeping ping problem of old.

BTW good guide, it should help out people with lowend system, although I'd still make them use 32-bit color but follow the rest of your instructions. I'd also have them use D3D actually but your guide is still pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    MOO :up: :up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by -=SmileY=-
    The netspeed shouldnt be higher depending on if your PC can handle it tho... this little trick is pure for getting smooth gameplay (and is mostly handy/noticable when your monitor has 85 Hz or more)
    <snip>

maybe you are lucky enough and your monitor can handle more then 85Hz.. in that case you can do the calculation thingy I posted before, to see what netspeed matches your computer
    Ah, thanks for jumping into this discussion. Indeed, as I expected, those numbers are only a way to try and synchronize your FPS, your refresh rate and the amount of packets you send.

Note that the netcode has changed in UT2004. I don't think outgoing packet will be 64 bytes anymore. Besides that fact, even though UT might send 64 bytes, because of header overhead (which can be 150% on ADSL) the real number of bytes sent over the wire is much higher.

In UT and UT2003, if you have and FPS of 80, UT would send 80 * 64 bytes = 5120 bytes/second. That would be 40 Kbps. However, if you play on ADLS, you actually need an upstream speed of 100 Kbps to be able to send that data. (64 bytes of UT changes into 159 bytes of ATM/AAL5/PPP/IP/UDP/UT headers+data).

Maybe someone can explain what has changed in the UT2004 netcode. Are outgoing packetrates still tied to FPS ? Did outgoing packets change from 64 bytes to 40 bytes ? Inquiring minds would like to know ....

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Your netspeed advice is bogus

Originally posted by DDRRE
    [B]TIP: Adjust your netspeed to your monitor Hz and FPS. Low-End PCs should use 3200, Mid-End PCs should use 5300 and High-End PCs should use 8120. To adjust your netspeed, enter the console by pressing ` and type 'Netspeed ####'. This might help with lags. {Thanks go to -=Smiley=- for this one!}
    This is all total bull. Sorry. Netspeed is hardly dependent on the power of your PC. PCs with a CPU of the minimum official specs should have no problem with netspeed 10000 or 20000. (What's the official minimum spec nowadays ? Still 733 MHz ?).

Max netspeed depends on the speed of your connection. To be precise, the type of your connection (which denotes the type of packet encapsulation, which determines the percentage of header overhead), the upstream and downstream speed, the tickrate of the server, and maybe your FPS.

There is indeed a relation between your FPS, the refresh rate of your monitor, and netspeed. However, with all the changes to the netcode, I don't think anyone knows exactly how this should be tweaked. Besides that, the calculation for your optimal netspeed now not only depends on the factors I gave above, but also on the refresh rate of your monitor, and some settings in your UT2004.ini file.

If you want, I can come up with an exact calculation of the maximum netspeed you can use. (After I have seen what the new netcode does. Especially with client->server packets. There should be a 40% improvement in bandwidth usage there). These might not be optimal, as that would also require knowledge of your refresh rate, and the FPS your PC can reach. The numbers you give, you have just pulled them out of your ****. Sorry to be so harsh, but I don't want people to believe this nonsense.

I hope the rest of your advice is a LOT better.

Leave a comment:

• replied

for example, for netspeed 20000 users.. I quote the mighty TNSe:

"let me just inform you that your hardware probably can't hold an even 20000/64 = 312fps average during an entire match anyway. Another bottleneck here, is your internet connection. If you got a state-of-the-art 9600 modem, it can only send and receive 9600/8 = 1200 bytes/second anyway, and what happens if you exceed that limit, is that data must wait before it can be transmitted to/from you. This causes the wellknown "ping spike". So use netspeed to make sure your connection does not get overloaded and "spiked". If the spikes last too long, you might even get packetloss, since the packets get ****** off waiting in queues and kill themselves."

I hope this helps you

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DDRRE
    MAKE THIS THREAD A STICKY ONE PLZ :cry: :cry: :cry:
    Daniel V. I need you now!! make this thread a sticky one, I hate the feel when you put a post to make more people make use of your thread, but hey, all for the Sticky tag!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well I use these settings for gameplay, I don't care about quality. I don't have such a low end PC, but I use the tweaks for 70+fps @ 1024x768.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by koopa
    Can't you disable from the GUI? Anyway, looks more like UT2004.ini:

UseSpeechRecognition=False
    word. :up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    this tweak guide would be for very low performace machines

The only thing I altered is reduce mouse lagg = false and I dont use much hud(i have a 9600 pro)

D3D>open gl
    Ive ran both on at least 6 different cards nvidia/ati and d3d allways runs faster max and avg frames.
    and know how to tweak both open gl and d3d
    I also have had alot of graphical errors using open gl in ut/2k3

open gl is a good thing to have if d3d/direct x is generating errors tho

jewtron,turn everything back to 32 bit

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Can't you disable from the GUI? Anyway, looks more like UT2004.ini:

UseSpeechRecognition=False

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by vogel

Use16bitTextures should be false and you should also disable speech recognition if you don't plan on using it.

-- Daniel, Epic Games Inc.
    To disable speech use the user.ini:

[Engine.PlayerController]
    bNeverSwitchOnPickup=True
    bNoVoiceMessages=True
    bNoTextToSpeechVoiceMessages=True

^^ Is that correct?

--chaz

Leave a comment:

Working...
X