Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Epic ever explain why they dropped our beloved Shield Belt?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Did Epic ever explain why they dropped our beloved Shield Belt?

    I still miss the old UT shield belt (I know, I know, "then go play UT").

    Has someone made a shield belt mutator yet? Something that would replace all 100 shields with a belt that gives that cool golden glow? I think that would be really cool.

    #2
    They dropped it because they didn't like it. Opinions are like that.

    I couldn't care less what the pick-up looks like, put I would like to see if an opponent has a shield on like in UT.

    Adds to the fear factor I think,; you're down to half health and around the corner comes someone glowing with a shield on.

    Fight or Flight !? .... oh what fun.

    Comment


      #3
      Yeah I miss the shield belt too, it was an integral part of UT, shame it wasn't in UT2003. As you guys say I also miss the glow around the player with the shield, u actually felt like you had picked up a power up unlike the poxy effect u get in UT2003.

      Comment


        #4
        I think they said that shields and armour in UT2004 are like they were in UT.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by BradL
          I think they said that shields and armour in UT2004 are like they were in UT.
          No they said the shield stacking, or lack thereof, worked like in UT.

          They said nothing about the pickups, or the glow, afaik.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Mort_Q
            No they said the shield stacking, or lack thereof, worked like in UT.

            They said nothing about the pickups, or the glow, afaik.
            Oh, thanks for clearing that up

            Comment


              #7
              Did Epic ever explain why they dropped our beloved Shield Belt?
              And do they have to ?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Kr4zed
                And do they have to ?
                of course they do, we live in a democracy. we demand to know all!!

                Comment


                  #9
                  my guess is because UT2003 is just Unreal Championship with more stuff added to it. And So they simplified the armour system for console users, only when they came round to put the polish on Unreal championship to make it into UT2003 it never even occured to them that they should put the shield belt back in.. Therefore it never made it into ut2003.. doesnt look like makin it into 2k4 either

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Jack_Bauer
                    my guess is because UT2003 is just Unreal Championship with more stuff added to it. And So they simplified the armour system for console users, only when they came round to put the polish on Unreal championship to make it into UT2003 it never even occured to them that they should put the shield belt back in.. Therefore it never made it into ut2003.. doesnt look like makin it into 2k4 either
                    For console users? I don't follow that at all -- are you being sarcastic? I'd think the average console player would balk at the thought of having to adapt to a mouse/keyboard system and, if they didn't choose this option, would quickly become bored of a game which is virtually unplayable by any other means.

                    And no, this is not an attack on console players. I own one and enjoy it tremendously. Just curious, that's all :up:

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Mort_Q
                      They dropped it because they didn't like it. Opinions are like that.

                      I couldn't care less what the pick-up looks like, put I would like to see if an opponent has a shield on like in UT.
                      You still see it if you shoot someone.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Yeah, but if you know someone is running around with 50 or 100 shields, it might make the player who is running around with no shield a more attractive target...

                        I would appreciate it if the shields get above 100 that you get the glow applied to you like in UT1999. That would be cool.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Kr4zed
                          And do they have to ?
                          Of course not. But they have explained lots and lots of other decisions that they made when folks complained. I was just wondering if anyone recalls an explanation on this issue.

                          I can kind of imagine them thinking along the lines of pro-playing. Perhaps they thought that a glowing player gave away too much.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            tbh, I think it's a good thing the shield doesn't show.
                            A. It's harder to gauge an armoured opponent, so you have to guess at his strength based on how often you hit him
                            B. Armoured players get attacked as often as newly spawned.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I too miss the sheild belt, but they basically took out the effect cuz they would haveto double up on polys for the character using it. I'm sure theirs a less costly way of doing it.. But I dont think they care that much as to bring it back.

                              The things I liked about UT, was that it was futuristic.. but kindoff a realistic future setting. With UT2003 everything is Unrealistic full stop :-/. Also I liked the fact that in UT when u changed from 16bit to 32bit the colors weren't so bright and cheesy - but had a kind of movie look to them.. (kinda like how the matrix has that green tint effect).

                              There's literally tons of stuff that made UT so special for me.. But wether they've brought enough of them back for UT2004.. Well, we'll see.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X