UT2003 maps work on UT2004???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT2003 maps work on UT2004???

Now epic did say that the maps and mods for ut2003 would work on ut2004.
    But some of the threads i`v read laterly seems that maybe the mods might need modifying for them to work on ut2004.

Will that be the case for ut2003 maps as well?.

I`v downloaded a ton of maps for ut2003,dont fancy downloading them again after they have been modifyed to work on ut2004??

So does anyone know for sure,if the maps will be ok on ut2004?.

Yes, UT2003 maps will work with UT2004. The only thing that wont is the net code. Most, if not all, mods, mutators, etc. will work with UT2004.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Raffi_B

Thats cool so i dont have to download them again:-)

Comment

i *think* i heard them saying that to port a 2k3 map to 2k4 you basically just have to open it in the 2k4 editor and resave it, but im not certain, so dont quote me...

Comment

cAm > You’re right, that was said in the IRC chat.

Comment

Originally posted by cAm
            i *think* i heard them saying that to port a 2k3 map to 2k4 you basically just have to open it in the 2k4 editor and resave it, but im not certain, so dont quote me...
            Yes, this is true, but it is also possible to play UT2k3 maps in UT2k4 without converting. The game will convert it (temporarily AFAIK) while its loading.

Comment

So servers will be smart enough to not push content you already have (even if not 'converted')?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaimyr
                So servers will be smart enough to not push content you already have (even if not 'converted')?
                hehe that was sort of what i was going to ask:-)

Anyway let`s say i`m useing one of teddies maps,say deck 17.
                I`v loaded it with ut2004 ed,then resaved it.
                (now this is where i`m confused)
                And say a server admin did the same,will the map on his server work with mine,or will it force me to download it again.

(btw wont we need the author permission to modify/resave the map?)not too sure about that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Taf
                  hehe that was sort of what i was going to ask:-)

Anyway let`s say i`m useing one of teddies maps,say deck 17.
                  I`v loaded it with ut2004 ed,then resaved it.
                  (now this is where i`m confused)
                  And say a server admin did the same,will the map on his server work with mine,or will it force me to download it again.

(btw wont we need the author permission to modify/resave the map?)not too sure about that one.
                  It will most likely work with the admin's. As long as you do absolutely nothing in the editor (not even move the camera!) then the filesize will remain identical.

No you won't need permission, because you are not taking credit for his work or redistributing it in any way.

And no, servers will not push content you already have. If the filesizes are correct, you will have no problem playing online.

Comment

Originally posted by Raffi_B
                    It will most likely work with the admin's. As long as you do absolutely nothing in the editor (not even move the camera!) then the filesize will remain identical.
                    I suppose that would be ok if the admin was useing xp like me.
                    But what about win98/winme/win2000,wont the file size be slightly differnt when they save it??
                    (not too sure about this as well)

All these questons lol.

Just realy dont fancy re-downloading them all again on a 56k thats all.

Comment

I'd interpret it like this:

You've installed UT2004. You copy all your custom maps from UT2003 into your UT2004 maps folder. Now either you open each map in the editor and save without having done anything at all OR the first time you load one of the custom maps it gets converted as it loads and stays that way i.e. it changes the map file to suit UT2004.

Therefore, you wouldn't be able to copy the resaved/in-game-converted map back to your UT2003 maps folder (though why would you want to if you have UT2004)

That would seem to make sense to me since you'd only need to do the conversion for each map once rather than every time you load it. Also, I think just playing the maps in instant action would be the better option than editor saving since there's no risk of screwing it up by accident.

Really, I think they should just provide a little conversion program that you can select maps then batch convert them. That might be too logical though :bulb:

Comment

Imo it makes sense that the game takes care of 'conversions' without user intervention in the loading phase of the map list for each gametype, just to be sure that the entire procedure is error proof and consistent among every user.

Comment

but you cant play ut2003 maps with the ut2004 demo right?

Comment

Originally posted by fiLa
                            but you cant play ut2003 maps with the ut2004 demo right?
                            That is correct

Comment

Thanks The_Deacon.

That would be the logical way of doing it i suppose:-).

Anyway big thanks for your help guys:-)

10x

Comment

Working...
                              X