Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FOR EPIC! Preventing UT2K4 from turning into a vehicle problem instead of a feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FOR EPIC! Preventing UT2K4 from turning into a vehicle problem instead of a feature

In games with vehicles, the main emphasis in those games were usually the vehicles. They would cause a serious gameplay problem if the vehicles created a balance problem, people just ran you over the instant you got that good weapon IF you even lived long enough to get to it and stay until it respawned. As far as we've been told, there is no way of dealing with this very problem happening in 2k4's vehicle maps, especially in assault. Just think of the frustration from side, defending or assaulting. On defense, if a vehicle just runs on through the whole defense line, that would ruin the balance of the whole round. Same with offense, just imagine a defensive vehicle(s) rampaging around the assault spawn area(s), killing people as they come out. This problem has the potential to ruin the fun and good ol' feeling of assault completely.
    There is thankfully countless ways to fix or at least get around this problem, however the hardest part is choosing the right method. You could put simple and crude barriers that disappointingly block vehicle use in the area beyond the barrier. You could block off just the spawn area(s) and simply delay the vehicle problem to somewhere later along the assault path. You could even make the terrain of the assault path unusable by vehicles, again, disappointingly preventing vehicle use. The list of this kind of control goes on and on, but none of them fix the problem enough that it keeps the gameplay enjoyable and the map balance at least reasonably fair at the same time.
    What could truly fix this? I have and idea, so read carefully and just think about it in your mind. First, allow me to point out the obvious ideas that wouldn't work either. Simply depending on dodging out of the way wouldn't work, wouldn't be very fun either. Translocating out of the way won't work considering asault has no translocator most of the time and onslaught is unknown, as well as the fact that that too wouldn't be very fun or anything new at all. Simply trying in vain to destroy the vehicle or driver before it hits you definaltely won't work because at the speed of UT it would be **** near impossible to accomplish. Now for my idea, I propose a fix that would be a change for the better with a few other unattended issues in the gameplay. I know for a fact and from experience that the shield gun is underpowered as a weapon yet priceless as a tool in movement, boost dodging specifically. I strongly believe a few modifications and additions to it would solve this problem.
    The unreal and unreal tournament series has been getting more and more "unreal" lately and needs to be returned to its roots. The shield gun's primary "hammer" melee attack is far too weak to be on anyone's list of weapons to use in serious combat, no one thinks to use it for anything combat. The following list contains tweaks and changes to the primary fire function:
    • A "contrasting poles" magnetic effect that can boost an oncoming vehicle away or above the player if executed right.
    • An "EMP" effect that lasts about 5-20 seconds depending on how long the gun was charged that freezes the vehicle.
    • The range and damage increased to x2 to x3 the normal range depending on charge only towards vehicles.

Consider this and at least include a way for server administrators to modify the normal settings for a quick fix on demo day, in case the balance goes haywire.

-Andrew "LeoPawnz" Brennwald

i got bored of reading this thread after the second sentence.....i vote undecided.:bulb:

Comment

yea yea yea!!!
      why dont you go and make your own fikin game with vehicule manipulator magnetic antirespwn translocator ******...

Comment

ROFL - you're suggesting changes for something you basically know nothing about. Atleast play the demo for a week or two first, then start suggesting changes.

Athon Solo

Comment

-

Well, Avril (that anti-vehicle missile launcher) and Spider-mines are already there to deal with the vehicles. Raptors (those flying things) can be gunned down with scanhit weapons. Also wasn't there gun turrets or something in the game as well? I'm sure Epic tweaks things if it starts to go "unbalanced", but lets not worry about that yet.

Z.

Comment

Originally posted by MUTATOR
            yea yea yea!!!
            why dont you go and make your own fikin game with vehicule manipulator magnetic antirespwn translocator ******...
            I'm sorry... but that was really funny :haha:

Comment

-

Btw, I do think hammer is bit too weak, especially since it's harder to hit someone with it than in old UT.

Z.

Comment

Re: -

Originally posted by Zorlag
                Btw, I do think hammer is bit too weak, especially since it's harder to hit someone with it than in old UT.

Z.
                hmhm, r u like Zorro or sum?

Comment

Something like that...

Z.

Comment

I disagree with Leo thinking this will be a problem. And besides, vehicles rampaging through the defenses sounds like just another thing to have to defend against (hence turrets?? D'ya think??).

The one thing he mentioned which sounds cool is the idea of an EMP weapon -- I imagine that when set off would disable anything electronic/mechanical (vehicles, AVRiL or Redeemer rockets would just crash without exploding, spider mines, any weapon except assault rifle) within a certain radius for a given period of time.

Comment

dont forget teh sniper rifle it uses cartrages so no amp for teh sniper rifle

Comment

Remember, this is referring to the shield gun being used against vehicles and how it could be of use. The list is a list of things the primary fire would do to a vehicle. Most of the problem im talking about is with assault, where vehicles simply running over the attackers may take away from the fun.

The input is appreciated, but please don't vote or crticize my idea if you haven't even read the entire message. Also, don't belittle my knowledge of gameplay balance and design if you don't like it, just vote no or undecided in that case, I don't need to hear things like that.

This is all just an idea intended to give a player (even a player who just spawned) the ability to deal with a vehicle, not just get out of the way and hope it doesn't come back around for another try. Plus it would be a useful tool in onslaught when taking a base: sneaking up and disabling the cannons and then having the rest of the team move in, strategy and teamwork stuff.

Comment

Vehicles spawnkilling people won't be a real problem. Spawn areas are large, and people can chose where on the map they spawn.
                          Also, the vehicles in the base where you spawn can only be entered by you and your team, so you have vehicles yourself as well.

Comment

I know the spawn areas will be huge and protected and all that with the team vehicles, but the defenders can still bring them down from theirs... unless they put lame barriers in the levels.

This is for dealing with vehicles in all game modes, you've gotta admit, it would be way funner and show way more skill to bust out da hammer, flip that hellbender buggy, shoot a spider mine right into its undercarriage, and watch the fker detonate behind ya. Puts a little fear into vehicle drivers who aim at running everything over. Makes for some tight ***** videos too!

Comment

Oh that reminds me, does anyone know of any kind of locational damage on the vehicles? I say the undercarriage should definatelly be a weak spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X