Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Intel Prescott reviewed in detail

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1478837,00.asp

To summarize, if you were waiting to see if the Prescott would be cat's meow for gamimg, its not not at least based on these initial tets. The AMD 64 is the choice.

the pipelines are way to big (31 instructions ) for the lower clocked presscots to be very efficent. Wait for the mid 3-4Ghz chips to make a fair comparison. The FX-51 will be the choice for at least a couple more months.

Comment

Originally posted by therealvader
      the pipelines are way to big (31 instructions ) for the lower clocked presscots to be very efficent. Wait for the mid 3-4Ghz chips to make a fair comparison. The FX-51 will be the choice for at least a couple more months.
      I would not recommend the FX-51 and neither would most websites unless you have money to burn.
      Need for registered memory, little differnece in performance over the AMD 64 , higher price as well as the fact that AMD may abandon the FX CPU socket design might leave FX owners without an upgrade path.

Comment

You caught me

My brain said A64-3400+, but my fingers typed FX-51. I guess 20 hours up will do that to you.

Comment

Here is another

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1956

and some quotes -

If you’re looking for nothing more than a purchasing decision let’s put it simply: if you’re not an overclocker, do not buy any Prescott where there is an equivalently clocked Northwood available.] This means that the 2.80E, 3.00E, 3.20E are all off-limits, you will end up with a CPU that is no faster than a Northwood and in most cases slower. If you are buying a Pentium 4 today, take advantage of the fact that vendors will want to get rid of their Northwood based parts and grab one of them.
          and

Just as was the case with the very first Pentium 4s, Prescott needs higher clock speeds to spread its wings - our data on the previous page begins to confirm this. To put it bluntly: Prescott becomes interesting after 3.6GHz; in other words, after it has completely left Northwood’s clock speeds behind.
          wait-n-see ( what else is new)

Night(just built my new machine anyway)Otter

Comment

How about that $1100 price tag for the 3.4Ghz P4EE!:down:

Comment

Now lets wait for TomsHardware review there this CPU is probably the fastest of all :haha:

Comment

Originally posted by Gaal Dornik
                Now lets wait for TomsHardware review there this CPU is probably the fastest of all :haha:
                :haha::up:

I can see it now !!

NEW !!! Intel Prescott owns the competition !!
                Intel is crowned king again !!

on an unrelated issue, we would like to thank Intel for this review sample that we may keep for... "future testing", and that large bag of cash that will help aid in...urmm... "future testing" too.

Comment

Hey now, we all know Intel will be back on top eventually. Its inevitable... the whole industry is a see-saw at this point.

Comment

Anytime a new chip comes out, it almost always involves buying a new MB, unless you're upgrading monthly and selling your old chip to friends, which I barely ever hear about.

Yeah, the AMD 3400+ and the FX seem to be kicking butt for UT2K3. Can't wait to see the demo benchmarks, but I feel they will be similar.

Right now, the choices are really terrible. It's depressing because I figured Prescott was going to kick butt, but instead, it's the same as Northwood, and runs hot.

I'm waiting.

Comment

Im waiting on the FX-53 and better motherboards.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMarine_IWB
                        Im waiting on the FX-53 and better motherboards.
                        Look for a SIS chipset mobo. Early tests of that chipset showed it to be cheaper and faster than eithe the VIA or Nvidia chipsets.

Comment

Originally posted by NoGodForMe

Right now, the choices are really terrible. It's depressing because I figured Prescott was going to kick butt, but instead, it's the same as Northwood, and runs hot.

I'm waiting.
                          Yeah, the fastest processors in history that cost less, relatively, than any other from back in the day really suck

How about ten years ago when my 486/66 cost $1500.

Comment

Working...
                          X