Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Ominae392 View Post
    I've got a fair bit of experience with CaveUT. Do you have any particular questions?

I've also done some work inputting the WiiRemote as a cheap motion tracker. Unfortunately our solution at work is to use a $15,000 motion tracking system which I don't imagine you'll want to purchase for a homebrew app.
    I have just tried a head Mounted Display (Z800) as a head tracker and using a wireless joypad (dragonplus) with the CAVEUT set-up and works really well.

Howevr, still struggling with the stereoscopic functionality on the ICUBE.

3Computers and monitors provide a 180 deg horiz FOV Vert. FOV size of monitor/ sweet spot location. Excellent on 50 inch Monitors.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    New Version avaialble at ProjectVR

The official beta code release is finally ready! also, please create an account for yourself on our fourm. I like to capture comments on the code, there.
    http://forum.publicvr.info/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50
    --- Jeffrey Jacobson
    Director, PublicVR http://publicvr.org
    jeff@publicvr.org http://planetjeff.net/site.html

I am trying the stereographic functions.

any information on the polarisation V/H/Circular and general notes would be welcome

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Tele3dworld View Post
    We have got the chance of using an ICUbe.

HMD (headtracker) to replace mouse and jopad to control movement.

Are there any known problems using UT2004-1.2 Beta.

Is Ver 2 available
    Sounds like fun. Version 2 is not yet ready. Whatever zip is on his site should work just fine. It's my guess that you don't need a cross-screen cursor which would require giving you access to the subversion account. If you want the most up to date version I'd suggest just contacting Jeffrey Jacobson. Licensing is free.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Got the use of a EON Reality ICUBE

We have got the chance of using an ICUbe.

HMD (headtracker) to replace mouse and jopad to control movement.

Are there any known problems using UT2004-1.2 Beta.

Is Ver 2 available

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by HideInLight View Post
    With your current setup, At what resolution are you running each client atm? With only the console in Ut3 you can create a horsiontal splitscreen and make both view the same player and you can have two different camera angles. As for the offset thinghy i have no idea how that works, but do you think it can be replicated by just changing the camera angle of the pawn?
    1280x1024. Off-axis projection can't be "faked." Look at it this way, if you've got 4 clients in an L shape such that 2 clients make up a single wall how do you rotate the camera to project the world properly? The only way to manually do this would be to offset the camera behind the user and then rotate but this would be a kludge. A custom view frustum is the only way. If you're only using 2 monitors then yeah, you don't need CaveUT's off axis projection.

As I said I've not used UT3 yet. Our experiments don't require a large amount of visual fidelity and we've not the time to do the upgrades ourselves. We also found the texture pop of UT3 a bit annoying.

One thing to check for is if UT3 allows you to use OpenGL like UT2004 did. If so you can get a copy of a CaveUT with a custom opengl.dll driver. This driver will apply the off axis project to any calls through opengl's view matrix, the remaining calls are applied to a jump table.

Originally posted by HideInLight
    What kind of pc's you running?
    Nothing fancy. All PC's are the same configuration: Dual-core AMD athlon 6400's, 4 gigs o' ram (I believe DDR2), and Nvidia 8800 gtx's(no sli). They're getting a bit old but still work for our needs. One thing to keep in mind if you do use CaveUT for anything is to try and have a faster Server. CaveUT contains some odd glitches and race conditions.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    With your current setup, At what resolution are you running each client atm? With only the console in Ut3 you can create a horsiontal splitscreen and make both view the same player and you can have two different camera angles. As for the offset thinghy i have no idea how that works, but do you think it can be replicated by just changing the camera angle of the pawn?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What kind of pc's you running?

You can change the splitscreen to horisontal too although it's bit messed up atm...But looking at the source code it looks like you can manipulate it however you want. What i also think is possible for instance in the two player splitscreen, you can make both show player 1. Then you can set scene 1 to draw only the left half of player 1, you can then change scene 2 the draw the other half.

I see it's also possible to set the inputmode for each scene, so it's possible to get away with using one mouse, keyboard for all 2 scenes.

But atm all i want is to be able to use one computer to render two Ut3 scenes for two different people on two seperate monitors where both can experience small details and moments not possible on a normal setup for instance an extremely funny ragdoll death. Both can use XBox360 controllers for now... Don't as me why, because i don't really know...just because it seems possible I guess.

The idea of what you guys do is pretty cool. My vision would go something like this.
    Having 4 big screens around to make a 360 degrees world. Each screen rendering a scene with an fov of 90. Having a gun(wiimote), Semi mind control for dodging, weapons switching and so on:
    http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=38653
    A wii fitness board for riding a hoverboard (I know lol)

With the ability to turn around in circles like a normal human does to shoot whatevers behind you...

Either way it'll require a lot of money and time to make a geeky vision like this come true which i don't have atm...So I'll just let it go and escape to the real world for a few years (should be fun) then I'll se what the future holds.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In the case of UT3, wouldn't it splitscreen ability be better suited for something like this instead of rendering the window of the client and host?
    Sure. If you can find a program that mimics keyboard/mouse input to both of the screens in a splitscreen setup then you'd effectively have a dual setup. From those links you posted though it looks like the split will be horizontal. Are you trying to create one giant screen for gaming or are you trying to have 2 completely different view ports?

If you are trying to have a giant display for gaming then you'll also need a method to offset the camera for each player of your splitscreen. Otherwise you'll have 2+ screens with the exact same view, not very useful. That's where CaveUT comes in to play. It overrides default opengl behavior and allows you to do an off axis projection so that you can customize the view frustum of each client machine.

In splitscreen everthing that happens in the world is identical, on a lan for instance gibs and ragdolls, weapon spinning is different on both pc's.
    Yes that's true. That's the one downside to CaveUT. For my purposes though CaveUT is the only option. We've got a 4 camera setup and there just isn't a way one computer is going to drive that. Objects you've described do not match on different PC's which is why we removed them.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Keep getting connection lost with this...on client side
    Btw i see on site you need a copy for the client and server.
    What I'm doing is running both client and server on one machine, does that count?

Anywayz to do this copy the ut2004.exe and ut2004.ini file and rename it, in my case ut_2004.
    That way you can run two instances at once and configure em seperately

Everything else i tried works though.

In the case of UT3, wouldn't it splitscreen ability be better suited for something like this instead of rendering the window of the client and host? In splitscreen everthing that happens in the world is identical, on a lan for instance gibs and ragdolls, weapon spinning is different on both pc's.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    But what's the chance of this being converted to be compatible with UT3?
    By "this" do you mean CaveUT? If so I can say the chances are good but it won't happen until next year.

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do but you CaveUT is a mutator so unless the server you're playing is running it you would need to find another solution. Also in the mutators current state your character is unable to fire in to the environment in the normal UT2k4 way.

Best recommendation I can think of is to follow the links you've provided and find a program that can mimic keyboard input. I'm not sure you'd see a 1:1 mapping of movement but that's the best way I can think of.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Don't have enough time to try this out atm

But what's the chance of this being converted to be compatible with UT3?
    http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...t=split+screen
    http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...hlight=monitor

It could be the solution to what I want to do. In the end i want to be able to play Ut3 splitscreen on two monitors. Theoretically do you think it'll be possbile with something like this?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah I'm excited to see what it can do. My only concern is that without the dead reckoning of the LED bar it won't be enough for something like CaveUT which is a first person environment. With the 1:1 motion tracking I know how I'm aiming my weapon but I have no idea where that weapon's origin lay so a ray from gun to environment wouldn't have any meaning.

That's not to say you couldn't fudge it a little or calibrate the environment just so.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/888/888837p1.html

Well they say it's 1:1 motion, will just have to wait and see

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've got a fair bit of experience with CaveUT. Do you have any particular questions?

I've also done some work inputting the WiiRemote as a cheap motion tracker. Unfortunately our solution at work is to use a $15,000 motion tracking system which I don't imagine you'll want to purchase for a homebrew app.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic CAVEUT anyone using it?

CAVEUT anyone using it?

Looking into creating a CaveUT system.
    Anyone had any experience on creating a Home Brew System.
    Stereographic and tracking ideas.
Working...
X