#1 UT Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JaFO(JBE)
    I guess people on-line are so afraid of their scores that they don't want to change teams if the game is too easy for their team ?
    It's a sad day for on-line games if so few stat-whores can ruin the game for so many people on-line.
    Unfortunately people not switching to the weakest team happens all the time.
    I also noticed on several occasion that some players switch to the winning team on the last seconds of a game, just to improve their stats.

1/ It's a shame stats don't pick up this kind of behavior.
    2/ I really wonder if stats really improve the online experience. It makes many people play only for their stat record and not for having fun games. It encourages to play selfishly just to have the higher rank in the team and not to play with teammates.

Comment

Remove prefered team. Then make it so teams are completely randomly assigned each time the map starts. this should ensure that the teams are random, hence if a team totally blows out the other it won't keep the same teams next time around.

Comment

I mainly play BR, and if one team has more talent then someone, or myself, will usually change teams to balance things out. So it usually works out naturally. Most people in BR dont care about stats.....I think.

Comment

get the handicap mutator. Find it at ut200xhq.

Comment

I guess people on-line are so afraid of their scores that they don't want to change teams if the game is too easy for their team ?

It's a sad day for on-line games if so few stat-whores can ruin the game for so many people on-line.

Besides : what is a good player in a team-game anyway ?
            I can be an excellent teamplayer and still have 0 points ...

// Magwa
            That's a stupid idea.(period)
            What about the 60-ping players (or anyone else that happens to be near the limits the game/server has set) ?
            They'd either be the LPB's or the HPL's depending on what their connection would be like ...

I certainly wouldn't want a game to deny me access just because someone thought that a LPB is going to 'own' a HPL by default.
            grow up get a grip and chill out it is not a stupid idea just a idea drop the Drama please ..... even if you were near the limit set by the server it would still be alot more fair than playing a guy with a 170 ping and you have a 45ping....or are you one of them LPB that always looks for a bunch of High pingers to rape???? Dude it was a suggestion and nothing more where is yours???

Comment

Im in a 135/ all-weps/ low-grav/ CTF clan

I play mainly on our clan's 14-player pub server...it usually has 4 or so members of my clan, a few members of other competitor clans, and 5 or so nOobs...

Unfortunately for the gaming on our server, UT treats our best clan player and a nOob who just found UT2k3 in the bargain bin that afternoon EXACTLY THE SAME

Our better players constantly have to switch from winning to losing teams just to balance out the team's skill levels better...which sucks and is not fair to them

I want UT to accomplish this balancing prior to the match

Comment

Heh - UT had code in there to accomplish just that.

It only really started working after three or four games - and wasn't that effective even then - but at least it tried and would occasionally get it right.

I thought they left that in for UT2003 - but maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by Magwa
                  grow up get a grip and chill out it is not a stupid idea just a idea drop the Drama please ..... even if you were near the limit set by the server it would still be alot more fair than playing a guy with a 170 ping and you have a 45ping....or are you one of them LPB that always looks for a bunch of High pingers to rape????
                  I've never ever had problems getting fragged by HPL's ...
                  Perhaps it's the types of games I've played, but I never really noticed anything weird in a <100 vs 200+ms ping either.

Maybe pure UT at pro-level DM such timings are relevant.
                  I've played a few clan-wars for the Unreal Fortress-mod and all I needed to worry about was that rockets became useless somewhere over 200-300 ms. Altough that usually meant the connection was **** anyway ...
                  Tactics & team-work did have far better effect in those games.

Dude it was a suggestion and nothing more where is yours???
                  My suggestion ? Do I really need to spell it out ?
                  Honourable humans and a decent admin can do more to balance the game than any hardcoded system ever could.

Those systems can and will be abused.

But suppose one can invent a magically perfect system that can't be cheated.
                  Where's the fun in playing opponents that are better ?
                  Where's the fun in playing games while suffering a ping-disadvantage ?

Cheaters can never be stopped with pure IP/cd-key based bans.
                  So what makes you think a stat-***** could be stopped ?

Comment

Two players enter a UT match on a public/clan server:

- Fatal1ty (top pro UT player)

- a nOob who just picked up UT 2k3 that afternoon

The game makes no distinction between the two in assigning them to their respective teams

Anybody see a problem here?

Comment

I've never ever had problems getting fragged by HPL's ...
                      Perhaps it's the types of games I've played, but I never really noticed anything weird in a <100 vs 200+ms ping either.

Maybe pure UT at pro-level DM such timings are relevant.
                      I've played a few clan-wars for the Unreal Fortress-mod and all I needed to worry about was that rockets became useless somewhere over 200-300 ms. Altough that usually meant the connection was **** anyway ...
                      Tactics & team-work did have far better effect in those games.

My suggestion ? Do I really need to spell it out ?
                      Honourable humans and a decent admin can do more to balance the game than any hardcoded system ever could.

Those systems can and will be abused.

But suppose one can invent a magically perfect system that can't be cheated.
                      Where's the fun in playing opponents that are better ?
                      Where's the fun in playing games while suffering a ping-disadvantage ?

Cheaters can never be stopped with pure IP/cd-key based bans.
                      So what makes you think a stat-***** could be stopped ?
                      thanks that was a nice well thought out post.. I am not sure a stat ***** could be stopped ,but i klnow that when i play with a 170 ping against a 50 ping (just examples) that the low ping player see's me first fires first and i die first most of the time(with equal skillz).a good experiment is to play Insta against a low pinger you really see it then . that is why OGL and other ladders have a rule about ping if it is not within certain limits then the clans have to find another server....

Your suggestion is a great one and i agree with it 100% honest people would do more for the game than any hardcoded fix ,and i wish it would work...

the only way to stop cheaters is to have the game with NO bots then there is no code to exploit and if a program like UT pure spotted anything not on the CD then it is a cheat. after all it is a online game i would be ok with no bots ,but i realize it would ruin it for other players....so what is the answer i don,t know but we can keep putting out suggestions and mabye one of them will work one day.

Comment

Working...
                      X