Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#1 UT Improvement

My #1 suggestion for improving UT is this:

UT is an online multiplayer game, and the talent level of players in public servers ranges from the nOob who just bought UT 2K3 that afternoon to the hardcore player whose been loving UT since the '99 demo.

Isn't there a way to assign players to teams in public server by skill level, and not by number?

Doesn't XboX Live have this sort of feature?

To my mind, this would drastically improve the online UT experience.

There's no way to measure that, outside of subjective notes by human observers, and we all know a system like that is utterly impossible.

Comment

With a system like that in place, no one would ever get the satisfaction and excitement from getting a lucky frag against that "amazing" player and interest in the game would die out pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Main
        There's no way to measure that, outside of subjective notes by human observers, and we all know a system like that is utterly impossible.
        cant say it would be easy to do but it IS quite possible....but this would need also a VERY VERY BIG community besides the implementation...

Comment

BULL

For example...theres no excuse for the computer to assign a team, have one team win 8-0, and then create the same teams again on the next map...you tellin me the game couldnt be programmed to recognize lopsided teams on one map and then change the teams for the next map????

OR

the computer could assign players by one or more of their player ID stats...

OR

players could use numeric "skill tags"...

Comment

Also, I reject the notion that constant 8-0 games are alright

I'm a hardcore UT player, and I hate being assigned to a bad team and wasting effort when its a foregone conclusion we're gonna get our asses beat 8-0, 8-1, 8-2, ect...

I estimate 40-50% of UT pub server matches are made of teams that are way unbalanced skillwise

Comment

This is an old suggestion from me: implement ingame rating tied to your CDkey, and allow servers to have rarting filters to enable true newbie servers.

This could ofcourse also be used to balance teams.

But according to DrSin this wont be in UT2004, although he liked the idea.

/Kronon

Comment

Re: #1 UT Improvement

Originally posted by Edward35
                My #1 suggestion for improving UT is this:

UT is an online multiplayer game, and the talent level of players in public servers ranges from the nOob who just bought UT 2K3 that afternoon to the hardcore player whose been loving UT since the '99 demo.

Isn't there a way to assign players to teams in public server by skill level, and not by number?

Doesn't XboX Live have this sort of feature?

To my mind, this would drastically improve the online UT experience.
                Ehh...I don't like that idea...first, if you are on a public server (basic) then you must not care about who is good and who isn't...besides..I think it adds more diversity to have a variety of different skill levels on one team.

I for one tho...plan to stick to clan servers.

Comment

PLEASE don't tell me that if they can track all those stats for every player by their Player ID they couldnt program the game to consider those stats when assigning teams in a pub server match

I can't believe its STILL just done randomly, hell, XboX Live sorts its subscribers by skill :bulb:

Comment

implement ingame rating tied to your CDkey, and allow servers to have rarting filters to enable true newbie servers.
                    What about just taking the efficiency of all the players, taken from the last game played on that server, and sort the players into two teams with the closest efficiency possible? Of course if the server goes from full to empty in one game the teams could still be mad stacked but hey, ownage happens. I don't think it's so horrible to lose badly every now and then as long as it doesn't continue on game after game.

The upshot is that the calculations could all performed real time so it would be free to implement.

Comment

I think they should just balance the teams by using some calculation that takes Frags, Deaths, and FPH into account. This is the most accurate representation feasible for skill level IMO.

Comment

if you want a way to help make it fair and as long as we are discussing posibilites why not play on servers according to your ping...ping rape to me is the biggest obsticle to online playing ,no matter how good you are it is hard to play with a 170 ping against a player with a 45 ping.

servers could be 0 to 60 ping

60 to 110

110 to 150 etc that would help balance the teams in a way other than having a handicap system....if you try to join a game with a higher ping than allowed by that server you just can not connect....

Comment

I guess people on-line are so afraid of their scores that they don't want to change teams if the game is too easy for their team ?

It's a sad day for on-line games if so few stat-whores can ruin the game for so many people on-line.

Besides : what is a good player in a team-game anyway ?
                          I can be an excellent teamplayer and still have 0 points ...

// Magwa
                          That's a stupid idea.(period)
                          What about the 60-ping players (or anyone else that happens to be near the limits the game/server has set) ?
                          They'd either be the LPB's or the HPL's depending on what their connection would be like ...

I certainly wouldn't want a game to deny me access just because someone thought that a LPB is going to 'own' a HPL by default.

Comment

Originally posted by JaFO(JBE)
                            I can be an excellent teamplayer and still have 0 points ...
                            hehehehrhehehe ... wtf do you do then, tell 'yo momma' jokes the whole game?

Comment

oh no...ohhh no...we ain't done talkin about this yet....

this problem with the game urgently needs solving!!

Comment

Working...
                              X