How do you make your own crosshair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you make your own crosshair?

What programs/program is best to make your own custom crosshair? Also is there anyway to specify where the crosshair should be located? Like for if you wanted to make it appear a little higher for a certain weapon?

use search, there is a large topic about howto.

Comment

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...0&pagenumber=1

Comment

The main problem imho is to find a program which can save transparency and ut2k3 also accepts it :sour: Else you will get a black(more or less) square instead of a crosshair. I couldnt find such a program yet

Comment

I use photoshop 7. I just make the crosshair I want, then save it as the .dds (Direct Draw Surface) file type, which UnrealEd accepts very readily. I just save all my custom ones to a package called "Rafficrosshairs" and then I modify my user.ini

Simple as that, really :up:

Comment

Originally posted by Gaal Dornik
            The main problem imho is to find a program which can save transparency and ut2k3 also accepts it :sour: Else you will get a black(more or less) square instead of a crosshair. I couldnt find such a program yet
            http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...0&pagenumber=4
            All you need is Paint Shop Pro 7 or higher
            Page 4 has a mini-tutorial on how to do masks(pics gone tho)

Comment

Is it free? o_O

Comment

Gimp is a free image editing program that can do it, the opensource equivalent of PhotoShop so to say.

download : http://www.gimp.org

Comment

PS7/8 is alot better than gimp but it's costly...

Adobe got free trials (30 day demo's) on their site i recall though...

Comment

i already tried GIMP. It just refuses to be transparent. Strange menus. And strange color representation f.e. the crosshair background has a colour of (RGB) 64/64/64. While making a "color -> transparent" procedure one can input a needed color.. but not as RGB. So one have really no idea. After some digging i was able to convert one system to another, but still one can see a background in ut2k3 o_O

Comment

Cool, thanks for all info one thing I still wonder is if it's possible to move the crosshair up in location on the screen for certain guns.

Comment

Originally posted by BTCOMM
                        Cool, thanks for all info one thing I still wonder is if it's possible to move the crosshair up in location on the screen for certain guns.
                        create a new identical xhair with the hight modification ^^

(max 30 pixels in all directions though)

Comment

don't forget to also move the alpha channel higher then

In quake3 you can just change cross position with two cvars

Comment

alpha channel?

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3
                              alpha channel?
                              I think he might have meant the mask which tells 2k3 what to make transparent
                              I dunno about most people, but I save the mask into the alpha channel of .tga files

Comment

Working...
                              X